• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Stay and the new UAL or go to SWA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Seems low. Are these just the CAL retirements or a combination?

On another note, when guys from the express carriers are on the jumpseat etc. and asking about future hiring I always bring up AA. I think in 5 years the place to be will be AA. They will be retiring in big #'s and most likely growing at the same time to compete with DAL and UAL without having to go through a merger like the other 2.
A B6 merger should change their numbers a bit.

A B6 merger should change their numbers a bit.

But a merger with LCC (eastern portion) would accelerate their list. You just can't really predict, can you? Who would've thunk just a couple years ago that being on Frontiers list would get you a fastrack back to the regionals (pay at least) and on the AAI list as an FO would suddenly get you added to the SWA contract (better than their own contract negotiations had even hoped for). Shows you that the negotiations were way undershot.
LUV

Thanks for all the replies. I am not in the pool but was close to getting an interview before SWA stopped hiring (needless to say I have a 737 type). Regardless, it's sad that people actually have to consider leaving a major airline for "greener pastures" these days.

As many have said the potential at CAL/UAL is great, while the track record of SWA is incredible. IMHO the potential of CAL outweighs the potential at SWA. HOWEVER, unlike so many other industries, our careers are strongly affected by the decisions made by upper management. I have very little faith in this little man sMisek and his minions. SWA management has proven that "dignity and respect" is not just a moniker to fool the masses, but an important characteristic of a successful company. This little man sMisek has just gotten a ridiculous raise (while being in position for only 10 months). CAL and UAL made a nice profit last quarter yet he parrots that we pilots must continue to wait to be reimbursed the loan that is due. And of course, while I've always supported ALPA, their apparent impotence at effecting any positive change has gotten old.

On top of what I said after the airplane delieveries arrive it will be an additional 60-80 hulls and once we get work rules for the CAL side and additional 400-500 pilots will be needed. So to be clear over the next 4-5 years NOT including retirements and assuming new work rules for CAL you are looking at an additional 1000-1400 pilots. The 747s and the B767s will be parked for new 787s and A350s on order. They are installing GPS on the A320 fleet so those will be around for quite some more time.

How come UAL doesn't look at the new 747? I understand getting rid of the old ones but I would think there is some route that could use the 747.

Sounds like things at United are looking up. Hope you get all your furloughees back soon. How many are on the street today?

Gup

Well, ya never know whether you made the right choice or not until you've hit retirement. Both seem like they have a positive future. Depends on what's IMPORTANT TO YOU. For me personally, aside from the flying, I'm all about quality of life. Yeah I like the flying gig, however I also think in my free time, is there a cool city to visit near where I live? Will I have time to hang with my friends & go enjoy my social life/nightlife? Like skiing or going to the beach or hiking? Are my relatives close by? Etc, etc. Unfortunately jobs come & go these days & I think it's important to keep a well balance between flying & social life. Someone once told me if the grass is greener on the other side, it's probably cuz there's more s&!@ (fertilizer) over there. Of course I DO NOT believe that about SWA at all.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back