• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Stay and the new UAL or go to SWA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
go, you will always be asking yourself why didn't i go. You don't sound like you will be saying," why did i leave ual all those years ago."

Make sure you have a 737 type if you go to SWA...would not want to have to pay for it to get hired...might want to get a 717 type while you are at it..just to make sure you have all the possible types at SWA

stay at united. we dont want you. sw isnt the model airline all thes f.gs will make you believe.

Hi, one pilot in ten makes out by changing airlines, at least that's my experience and I started in 1979. Good luck.. JW

I had a UA jumseater, junior 757 CA who had left CAL when UAL was the place to be, said he would have been better off staying. you just never know.

Furlough insurance

If given a chance would you stay and Continetal (90% seniority) or go to SWA as a new hire?

Furloughs can happen anywhere. If you just got out of the bottom 10%, it would be risky to jump back in, even at SWA. I suggest you stay.

I left AirTran in 2005. I would be on 8th year captain pay at AirTran had I stayed. Watching this merger with SWA and Airtran is interesting but I have to say I'm happy where I am. I only have 1,000 guys below me at CAL right now. Who knows where I'll end up with the SLI but one thing I do know. We will have steady retirements for the next decade as well as varied equipment choices and bases as a combined airline. It will never get boring. As far as the pay goes, one can only hope that we will be a leader once again in that area going forward followed by AA who will leapfrog us and Delta who will leapfrog them as the cycle continues. In 5 years, American will start hiring again big time. It will be interesting to see who will want to work for SWA in a few years.

I remember being a junior regional captain in the late 90's. I was flying an EMB-120 for COEX. We were wholly owned and had a flow through agreement with Continental so there was no chance at applying and getting an interview. The first airline I sent an application to was American. The fee was $100.00 and was non-refundable. My second application went to United(also had an application fee) followed by Delta and Northwest, in that order. I updated every 6 months religiously for 2 years. Like so many other guys I knew, SWA was a back-up in case we never got picked up by a major airline. I never applied although I had the paper application form. Then came the events of September 11, 2001 and the rest is history. A quick 2 years and 8 months at AAI and CAL started hiring. I gave it a shot and it worked out. Missed 737 CA by a few months seniority back in 2008 then the recession came along. I can hold the right seat on everything but the mystical aircraft that has not been delivered(787). If we don't get a big pay boost on this next contract I will be down earnings wise vs. where I'd be had I stayed at AirTran. If it is all about dollars and cents, SWA might be your best bet at this point in time. I just think the airline industry will look a lot different in 5 years than it does today. Heck it looks a lot different today then 3 years ago! I'd stay right here at CAL/UAL if I were you. That's just me. I like the varied flying the 757/767 allows me to do. Just got back from Buenos Aires last week. Heck of a layover. Decided to spend time at home this month so I bid reserve and will probably go the entire month without spending a night away. I like flying around the holidays so I'll bid a line in December with mostly domestic 757-300 flying. You get the point. Make a decision based on your career goals and what is best for your family(if you have one). Either way, you are in a better position than many.

Last edited:
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back