Standard Rate turn requirements

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dickburns

Is there any requirement for standard rate turns? If there are, can you cite some references (AIM or FAR, please!).

Thanks for your help with this.

(posted also in Regionals and Corporate)

Is there any requirement for standard rate turns? If there are, can you cite some references (AIM or FAR, please!).

Thanks for your help with this.

(posted also in Regionals and Corporate)
If you consider the Instrument Flying Handbook a worthy reference, there are multiple mentions of using a standard rate turn. For instance, look at the turns executed as part of an instrument approach described on pages 5-30 through 5-32.

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/...andbook/media/FAA-H-8083-15A-Chapters 5-7.pdf

For those flying faster aircraft, turns will be less than standard simply because the degree of bank required will exceed 30 degrees.

Last edited:
I thought standard rate turns are ALWAYS used during instrument flight??? 3dgs per second and for faster planes 1.5dgs per second....or 15DGs bank standard....

If faster airplanes used 15 degree banks, getting a turn done would eat up a lot of real estate. 25-30 degree bank with a flight director or autopilot is more standard.

We only do 15 degrees when slow and within 10 knots of the minimum speed for our flap configuration. Otherwise we use 30 degrees of bank when flying by hand, or the 25 degrees commanded by the flight director, or autopilot. For small changes in direction, lesser banks are used.

Avbug...I think you misundertood me..probably because of the way I typed it. I meant 15dg banks for standard rate turns. Not 15dg banks for faster planes. And 1.5dgs per second for faster planes, half standard. I was using 15dgs standard as in reference to putt putts like 172s and Warriors.When learning the manuevers, 100 KTS is used while under the hood....At least this is what is taugh by the two instructors I have been with and this is what Sporty's Instrument Rating DVD course is saying. The mis-undertanding came from my typing error...

Avbug...I think you misundertood me..probably because of the way I typed it. I meant 15dg banks for standard rate turns. Not 15dg banks for faster planes. And 1.5dgs per second for faster planes, half standard. I was using 15dgs standard as in reference to putt putts like 172s and Warriors.When learning the manuevers, 100 KTS is used while under the hood....At least this is what is taugh by the two instructors I have been with and this is what Sporty's Instrument Rating DVD course is saying. The mis-undertanding came from my typing error...
I'm betting most air carrier aircraft have no means of measuring a standard rate turn other than the heading indicators and a clock. We had no turn needle.

Latest resources

Back