• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

GooseHZ

getting in the way
Dear ASN Volunteer:

You are being sent this message because AOPA needs your help in countering the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) proposed rule that targets general aviation. The TSA has released its highly controversial Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) entitled Large Aircraft Security Program (LASP). We are asking for your support in communicating this message throughout the aviation community, and make your voice heard if you live near one of the locations where the TSA is holding public meetings.

AOPA members have made it clear in a survey and in comments to the Association that they are concerned by the attempt to make GA aircraft over 12,500 lbs. flown under Part 91 comply with the same security requirements as commercial carriers. This proposal includes a number of initiatives – flight crewmember criminal history record checks, watch list matching of passengers, checking passengers and baggage for dangerous weapons, and biennial third party audits of each aircraft operator. In summary, the proposed rule represents an unprecedented intrusion on general aviation because it would apply commercial standards to GA operations. AOPA also is concerned about the proposal because the TSA has provided no justification for setting the aircraft weight requirement at 12,500 pounds. The Association fears it could expand to all sizes of GA aircraft. Equally alarming is a requirement that aircraft operators use and pay for third-party auditors to perform a government function.

The TSA will be holding a series of public meetings to hear how the proposed rule will impact GA. The meetings – which will each begin at 9 a.m. local time (with registration starting at 8 a.m. local time) – will be held at the following locations:
White Plains, NY, Jan. 6, 2009: Westchester County Airport (HPN), Building 1 Airport Road, White Plains, NY 10604
Atlanta, GA, Jan. 8, 2009: Renaissance Concourse Hotel Atlanta Airport, One Hartsfield Centre Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30354
Chicago, IL, Jan. 16, 2009: Crowne Plaza Chicago O'Hare Hotel & Convention Center, 5440 North River Road, Rosemont, IL 60018
Burbank, CA, Jan. 23, 2009: Burbank Airport Marriot Hotel & Convention Center, 2500 North Hollywood Way, Burbank, CA 91505
Houston, TX, Jan. 28, 2009: Hilton Houston Hotel-North Greenspoint Conference Center, 12400 Greenspoint Drive, Houston, TX 77060
Each speaker will be allowed three minutes to explain to TSA the impact of this rule. A representative from AOPA will be attending each of the meetings to be on hand to discuss this proposal with members.

Your voice can make a difference, show up and explain to TSA just how the proposed LASP will impact your flying! If you cannot attend it is still important that you make your voice heard by submitting comments to the official docket. For more information on the proposed rule or to find out how to submit your comments visit the AOPA member action center at http://www.aopa.org/advocacy/gasecurity/ .

Andy Cebula,
Executive Vice President,
Government Affairs

As I wrote earlier on my company's message board...

I started my work week at Millionaire, ALB. Showing up at 6:45am, I was greeted by 5 of the TSA's best, throwing me the evil-eye the whole time. Finally, one of them blurted out a weak "good morning" to make the whole awkward situation feel ok.

It wasn't ok, it was awkward and it sucked.

As I wrote earlier on my company's message board...

I started my work week at Millionaire, ALB. Showing up at 6:45am, I was greeted by 5 of the TSA's best, throwing me the evil-eye the whole time. Finally, one of them blurted out a weak "good morning" to make the whole awkward situation feel ok.

It wasn't ok, it was awkward and it sucked.

You get that worked up by someone giving you the "evil eye"? Just say, in a happy manner, "good morning, coffee's great, you should try some." And go to work.

You get that worked up by someone giving you the "evil eye"? Just say, in a happy manner, "good morning, coffee's great, you should try some." And go to work.

Which is EXACTLY what I did. (I didn't suggest that they try the coffee, just said "good morning"). Exactly where in my post did I say that I got worked up? The post was just my way of saying that I'm not at all thrilled with the TSA being in our FBO's.

Which is EXACTLY what I did. (I didn't suggest that they try the coffee, just said "good morning"). Exactly where in my post did I say that I got worked up? The post was just my way of saying that I'm not at all thrilled with the TSA being in our FBO's.

Maybe they were pissed you didn't offer them coffee... ;)

I should have titled my post "Too much time on my hands in Teterboro"! I don't think that anyone's very excited about the TSA being at our FBO's, but certainly we're all going to be polite and coutreous when dealing with them. Next time I'll be sure to offer coffee!

I should have titled my post "Too much time on my hands in Teterboro"! I don't think that anyone's very excited about the TSA being at our FBO's, but certainly we're all going to be polite and coutreous when dealing with them. Next time I'll be sure to offer coffee!

Try offering them a doughnut next time. It'll make them feel like real cops or something.

Some of the fuel suppliers are taking note of this, and are emailing all of their FBOs trying to get mgt to complain about it during the comment period. This thing may end up with more steam behind it than the User Fee issue.

Latest resources

Back