• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flyboysgal

from the gang at home
THIS is a wonderful site!
I am the fingernail-less significant other of a post-interview, no call, no letter SWA otta-be!
Just listening to him pacing the floor and going over rumors, possible worst case scenarios, flying from euphoria to depression is a LOT of work
One of his fellow interviewees linked him into this site and I checked you out. (He is not the computer geek in the family.) (He is also very superstitious, so until he joins, I am not allowed to be here.... so keep me under your hat.)
This is such a breath of fresh air!
I have been living and breathing his career for 10 years. I know enough to listen intellegently and was even doing a bit of his Jepps software before trips. It is really great to hear how supportive and helpful and what a sense of community you guys are.
He was an instructor for quite a while, and his kids were so great! He was getting email from all over the world from his little hatchlings flying the big boys. But his own career, has been a lot of his own insecurities. When he is out there among his tribe, he is at his best. His last stint at corporate was such and ugly taste, so hard on his ego and of course when they decided to shut down the flight department, (two guys and a few freelancers) he just bottomed.
Hard to get back into the group when there is no group.
I posted once and got two notes from a couple of guys, one who is sitting simmering, just like him.
Speaking from the phone number you guys call most from your hotel, this site has comforted ME.
If things don't go well for SWA, I will check in here often for buzz, just to let him know it is not the world ganging up on him, it is the world ganging up on all of us!
AND good things are happening too.
Thanks for being there.
Tell the wives they are not alone!

Last edited:
He's lucky to have you ma'am,

I couldn't have gotten where I am either without the support of my wife, and actually am amazed at times she's stuck through all the tribulations.

Not being trite, but the attitude does determine the altitude, keep him focused and it will come.

I wish you both the best,

P

flyboysgal said:
THIS is a wonderful site!
I am the fingernail-less significant other of a post-interview, no call, no letter SWA otta-be!
Just listening to him pacing the floor and going over rumors, possible worst case scenarios, flying from euphoria to depression is a LOT of work
One of his fellow interviewees linked him into this site and I checked you out. (He is not the computer geek in the family.) (He is also very superstitious, so until he joins, I am not allowed to be here.... so keep me under your hat.)
This is such a breath of fresh air!
I have been living and breathing his career for 10 years. I know enough to listen intellegently and was even doing a bit of his Jepps software before trips. It is really great to hear how supportive and helpful and what a sense of community you guys are.
He was an instructor for quite a while, and his kids were so great! He was getting email from all over the world from his little hatchlings flying the big boys. But his own career, has been a lot of his own insecurities. When he is out there among his tribe, he is at his best. His last stint at corporate was such and ugly taste, so hard on his ego and of course when they decided to shut down the flight department, (two guys and a few freelancers) he just bottomed.
Hard to get back into the group when there is no group.
I posted once and got two notes from a couple of guys, one who is sitting simmering, just like him.
Speaking from the phone number you guys call most from your hotel, this site has comforted ME.
If things don't go well for SWA, I will check in here often for buzz, just to let him know it is not the world ganging up on him, it is the world ganging up on all of us!
AND good things are happening too.
Thanks for being there.
Tell the wives they are not alone!

That was well said! Good for you! My wife is exactly the same way.

Next year I'm attending Pan Am Flight Academy, and it's going to be one tough ride for us...both financially (spending 65,000 for school) and emotionally. The school will not let me hold a job, so she will provide the income for the whole 14 months of my training. She has been waiting for me to do this for some 3 years now. I know she supports me 110 % all the way, and it will be well worth all the hard work. Good luck to you both, and your hubby's career. :)

Mikie

It's great to see there are other wives out there like mine. She encouraged me to continue with my ratings years ago, and i'm glad she did. Now that i'm working, she's going to school to pursue her dreams. It's the least I can do for her.

Your husband is lucky to have you!

Mike Reyna,

This is an honest question. I am not, repeat not, criticizing you in any way. Why in the world would you spend $65K to get your flight training? All of these so called big name flight schools are peddling the same tired old schtick. They all promise you some sort of fast track to an airline. It just isn't so my friend.

An airline hires based on several considerations, but, IMHO, 3 are dominant. One, how much total time and experience does it take to be competitive? Depends on the market. Right now 3000TT/1000ME is what's necessary at most large regional/nationals. When that pool dries up the numbers will go back down to where they were this summer, around 1500TT/300ME. Two, what is your personality like? Do you get along well with people? Can you work harmoniously in a two crew cockpit? Three, is the applicant likely to successfully complete training?

If you have competitive flight times, appear to be able to complete training and have a decent personality you will be offered interviews and in all liklihood hired. If you don't, you won't. It's that simple. The dirty little secret is that you still have to have the same minimums as an 'outsider' to get hired by the regional in question. So where is the alleged advantage that you spent an extra $35K on? YOU DON'T NEED AN INSIDE TRACK TO GET HIRED AT THE REGIONAL LEVEL.

This hiring slump we are in right now will pass. I believe it will pass in about 12-18 months or so. That's just about the time it will take you to complete your training and flight instruct for about a 1000 hours.

Please, don't fall for the scam about being affiliated with airlines, inside track, specialized training, etc, etc. It's all a load of BS. I'm not picking on PanAm. Flight Safety, Comair Academy, et al. They are all the same. A commercial certificate is a commercial certificate. The airlines don't care 5 cents where you did your training unless it was in the military.

There are plenty of Part 141 schools that will do a great job for you for around $30K. Save you and your familky $35K bucks. Reconsider, please.

Last edited:
I couldn't agree any more on Caveman's post. Not picking on anyone by a longshot, but $65k is including a very large profit margin. Ratings and time.........that's all they look at and although the schools promise interviews, etc. anyone with a resume and ambition can get through the same doors. Good Luck no matter what you do.

Not to jump on the bandwagon, but.....DUDE, $65k?????
Please do yourself and the Mrs a fiscal favor and look around. As the above posters have stated, there are faster, cheaper, high-quality schools out there that will get you where you want to go at about half the price and a third of the time. ATP inc. is one place to look at.

Second the above posts. Think long and hard before plunking down 65k.

Do a search on Pan am, Flight Safety etc and you will find a ton of threads about big schools pros and cons.

We are talking years ago but I spent a total of $14,000 for my A+P and a AA from Letourneau University. I spent $1,000 for my private and commercial, and another $1,000 for my instrument rating. I spent another $1200.00 for my multi,CFI and II. Other than that the companies I have worked for,,, including my own have paid for everything else. A workman is worthy of his hire keep that in the back of your mind.
As for the reason for this post your husband is really lucky to have you along for the ride. I taught my wife how to fly years ago, it was the best thing that I ever did. She helped me run the business(Part 135) for 10 years and was the best thing that ever happened to our business. One of these days after the nest is empty(we have 7 kids) maybe we will be lucky and get to fly a Lear together someday. She does a great job in the Lear and can outfly most of the first officers that I had. Good luck and don't let your husband have all the fun.

Caveman said:
Mike Reyna,

This is an honest question. I am not, repeat not, criticizing you in any way. Why in the world would you spend $65K to get your flight training? All of these so called big name flight schools are peddling the same tired old schtick. They all promise you some sort of fast track to an airline. It just isn't so my friend.

An airline hires based on several considerations, but, IMHO, 3 are dominant. One, how much total time and experience does it take to be competitive? Depends on the market. Right now 3000TT/1000ME is what's necessary at most large regional/nationals. When that pool dries up the numbers will go back down to where they were this summer, around 1500TT/300ME. Two, what is your personality like? Do you get along well with people? Can you work harmoniously in a two crew cockpit? Three, is the applicant likely to successfully complete training?

If you have competitive flight times, appear to be able to complete training and have a decent personality you will be offered interviews and in all liklihood hired. If you don't, you won't. It's that simple. The dirty little secret is that you still have to have the same minimums as an 'outsider' to get hired by the regional in question. So where is the alleged advantage that you spent an extra $35K on? YOU DON'T NEED AN INSIDE TRACK TO GET HIRED AT THE REGIONAL LEVEL.

This hiring slump we are in right now will pass. I believe it will pass in about 12-18 months or so. That's just about the time it will take you to complete your training and flight instruct for about a 1000 hours.

Please, don't fall for the scam about being affiliated with airlines, inside track, specialized training, etc, etc. It's all a load of BS. I'm not picking on PanAm. Flight Safety, Comair Academy, et al. They are all the same. A commercial certificate is a commercial certificate. The airlines don't care 5 cents where you did your training unless it was in the military.

There are plenty of Part 141 schools that will do a great job for you for around $30K. Save you and your familky $35K bucks. Reconsider, please.

Not to be harsh or anything, but it's obvious you did not read my post. Since I CANNOT hold a job (PAIFA will not let me work during my flight training) for the 14 months, the rest of the money will cover rent, 2 car payments, insurance, water, electricity... and other expenses. That is why the loan comes out to almost 65,000. The actual cost of the flight training for me at Pan Am will be just over $ 30,000...which includes Instrument, Commercial, CFII, CFII Multi, almost 1000 hrs TT about 400 of that Multi and CRJ time, & including cockpit resource mgt. Because of my age, I want to finish as quickly as possible, since I've been trying to do this since the age of 18....and have gotten no where with local 141 schools/FBO's.

I also talked to a good number of (about 15 students/CFI's) there, and none had anything bad to say about the school. They all thought it was well worth the cost. I've even talked a quite a few that made it to the regionals, and they said the same thing. It's just like that old college thing.... like Michigan vs. Ohio State.... geez!

By the way I also jump seat quite often on our Kitty Hawk Boeing 727's, so I get a lot of advice from our pilots as well. I've learned a lot about the whole airline business just sitting & flying in our 727 cockpits. :)

Also we are getting away from the main subject & question. The subject is not about how much money I'll be spending at school. What makes no sense is spending 30K-40K on college, then having to spend another 30k on flight training? See what I mean? Since when do we calculate differential equations in the cockpit? Come on?

Anyway the main subject is about spouse support here. I've notice that people on this site tend to change the main subject or original question. My wife is supporting me 110 % of the way, and it should be like that both ways. That's all that should matter. :)

Flyboysgal.. It is great to hear you support your husband, and I'm sure he would do the same for you. That's awesome! Good Luck to you two. See ya up there....

Mikie

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back