• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Spousing!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's not just being married to a pilot...it is also being a pilot...my mom often says that my life would be easier if I was working an 8-5 job...not that I believe her though!

SeaBass

--Bumper sticker at the flymart "Don't tell my mother I am a pilot, she thinks I am a piano player at a brothel"

My advice to other women out there, you can love them all you want, but make sure the pilot you are making the sacrifices for is worthy of that. It isn't an easy lifestyle, and my belief is it is worth it if you have a man who is worth it.

Ah.... that is a problem.

I posted another spousing in the Interview General forum.
It is sort of a "Can live without 'em, can't live with 'em" thing.

Personally, I am almost exhausted enough to quit today.
HIS emotions are at rubber band snapping.
MY saving grace is dual residences. 10 years of waiting for the right time, has left me aware THIS is what we get.

If you don't have a man that is worth it. Who would know better than you?
GET OUDDA DERE!

Find an accountant... stay home...go to pta meetings together....soccer games.... tell him not to go bowling every Tuesday..............
I want to cry.

I received my letter from SWA today
Am I disappointed, Absolutely

My Stats:

Age 35
737 Type, (Did not purchase through a training program)
727 FE rating
RJ type
ATR type
Seaplane rating
Total 6700
Total Turbine PIC 3500
Flew single pilot night freight
BS of Aeronautics
Graduated Magna Cum Laude
AS in Applied Science
Alpha Chi National Honor Society
Alpha Eta Rho
All references/contacts called
Recommendations from several SWA pilots, who indicated I did well during the interview.
No drug test
Wore patriotic heart tie during interview
Read “NUTS”, understand SWA culture
No violations/incidents/accidents
No disciplinary letters
Perfect Driving Record/No DWI
Never Failed a checkride
No Military background
SENT Post interview FOLLOW-UP LETTER to Lindsey

A few questions and concerns from the process, anyone please provide insight:

SWA is frugal, but why spare the expense to drug test an applicant before the DB, only to send a letter of rejection?

I believe it may be helpful for the DB to meet a candidate in person. The DB met 4 weeks after my successful interview.

Why not post the successful candidates on a web-page, in a code by the last 4 digits of their social security number? This would provide a quick result after the DB meets and the difficulty of notifying applicants by phone and mail.

Why contact the references and be consumed by a background check before the offer of employment? This alerts fellow workers and management of a pilot’s intentions to leave their current employer, before a job offer has been received.

Why are so many candidates unsuccessful on the first attempt, only later to be good enough on their 2nd, 3rd, or 4th attempt?

If the competition was fierce this time around, why have a candidate wait two years before reapplying?

I was told during the interview process, that an unsuccessful candidate could receive a reason for rejection from the People Department. How is this accomplished?

Do you know of many candidates with types (who did not purchase them) who were hired from other carriers on the first attempt?

I can honestly say the whole process is gut wrenching, whether or not a candidate is selected. For those selected, it was well worth the effort. I still do believe that SWA is a great place to work, and the above is only my observation. It’s not meant to be abusive in any way.

I was told during the interview that the rumor was, “that SWA is the only game in town right now, and they are only hiring ROCK STARS”

I don’t know if I will reapply in two years, also considering the lose of many seniority numbers.

Please shed some light!

SWA lost a very invaluable person!

Good Luck to all, and I wish you every success in your flying career,

Tony
:cool:

Last edited:
Flyboys gal, Hang in there, its not easy at this stage of the career, my Ex-Wife used to say that her time in the Marine Corp's was easyer. Hopefully he appreciates your efferts. By the way the X and I are better friends than ever. If hes looking into Instructing for Pan Am, He may want to check into getting into SouthWest's Training department it may not require the 2 year wait to apply. Good Luck

well... ONLY problem is location

I agree. We are closer here and it IS 9-5... dull.
As he would rather fly than teach, I will humor him. Easier NOT to have pull up stakes and move.

HOWEVER... do you know if it is a good or bad thing to be a sim instructor and try to get online.
You know, the "get a job on the ramp" idea is great, but it is hard on the credibility, much less the ego, to have a former marshaller FO in a few years....

Of course I really don't know. IS it a good idea and is the hiring totally different?

What's the big deal!!

Do you think your husband is the first person that failed an interview? I keep reading yours and others posts over on the "Interview Board", and you all sound like he and others deserves a job at SWA, and that beeing turned down at SWA it's the end of the world. If your husband and others don't have what it takes to get over it, then I suggest they better get out of aviation.

FBG, know of a guy in my interview group who did just that, instructed @ SWA for about 3 years then got hired. not sure about requirements but if SWA is ultimate goal its an option worth looking into. Dallas is also a good place for pilot SVC to stay active.

Latest resources

Back