Spousing!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mike-
Good luck to you in whatever you choose.

I kinda wish i'd gone cheaper on my flight training, 'cause in the end it really doesn't matter WHERE you get your training. I instructed at Airman Flight School in Oklahoma, and wished I'd gone there because it was cheaper and faster than the place I went, and housing was included.
Also, they'll hire you to instruct if you do well there.

Again, good luck.

Mike,

I wish you the best of luck with your flight training. When I began my flight training about 4 years ago, my wife was and still is very supportive. I could not even imagine being able to get to this point without her support. Even at the regional airline level, she is still supporting us financially. It's a long road, but it does pay off. Word of advice, don't forget to let her know every once and a while how much you appreciate her support. It helps keep a happy marriage.

Tom

"...both financially (spending 65,000 for school)"

Mike,

I based my comments on this quote from your original post. It seemed to indicate that you were going to spend the $65K just for flight training expenses.

I'm sure the quality of training at PanAm is top notch, but no training is worth $65K. $30K is a much more reasonable number. FWIW there are schools that will do it for that price, in less time and some even include housing. One other question. Why won't they let you work? What do they care what you do on your own time?

Best of luck to you.

Caveman said:
"...both financially (spending 65,000 for school)"

Mike,

I based my comments on this quote from your original post. It seemed to indicate that you were going to spend the $65K just for flight training expenses.

I'm sure the quality of training at PanAm is top notch, but no training is worth $65K. $30K is a much more reasonable number. FWIW there are schools that will do it for that price, in less time and some even include housing. One other question. Why won't they let you work? What do they care what you do on your own time?

Best of luck to you.

From what I understand it's Pan Am's policy for their students not to hold a job. They want to make sure you devote 100 % of your time to flying & studying...with no distractions. I couldn't figure this one out??? I had two jobs during my college years and had a 4.0 GPA all the way. Who knows? That is the reason why my wife and I took out a little more (hence the 30K to cover other living expenses) since I won't be working. The whole course at Pan Am is less than 14 months. :)

Anyway thanks everyone for the great support. You guy's are a great group of people. I usually have a lot of people tell me that ..."Oh airline pilots make too much." If they only knew how much time and effort (not to mention a lot MONEY) it takes to get there. Good luck to everyone trying to get that right seat. I'm right there with ya guy's. :)

Mikie

Good luck to you, and all the best! Glad you have a husband who appreciates all that you do.

Last edited:
Big toothy grin!

I know just what you mean. It is a little selfish, because the truth is: we get along BETTER with him gone! The face to face all the time is so hard. We both miss the trips to pick him up at the airport and we don't have time to MISS each other.
We are both just better people when we are doing what we love.
I have a friend whose husband flew the pond for TWA forever. The hardest time of their marriage was the 2 years post retirement.
I think a lot of people think relationships are what happen when you are together. The truth is, it is how you deal with the times apart that are the test. Someone said the best part of traveling is coming home to tell the tale!
I have come to learn in our 10 years, that pilots are not.... NORMAL people.
I doubt it comes as a shock to any of the spouses, but altitude seems to have interesting effects on the ego. OK, would a NORMAL person be HAPPY with the care of the LIVES of 200 people sitting behind him in THIN AIR!!! No! Pilot's egos.... (I mean skills and confidence) CRAVE that sort of thing....
I mean... IT IS AIR!!! No logical person would want to be floating around in it!!!
Only a pilot knows THAT is where he is safe... the danger is when he gets to the ground.
NOT normal.
And what does that say for me?

Last edited:
Pilots are in a whole different class of their own, that's for sure! Luckily for you, you seem to have found one who appreciates you and respects you. Hold onto that one, he's worth it!

I've always said it takes an exceptional kind of woman to deal with the lifestyle of a pilot. It sure isn't all fun and games...

My wife suggests marrying a doctor, lawyer, teacher; ANYTHING BUT A PILOT!!! This is probably good advice.
Signed, A Pilot. :)

Latest resources

Back