• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Spirit to hire directly from ERAU?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What's the magic number? How many hours are required before someone can call themselves an "experienced airline pilot"?

What's the magic number? How many hours are required before someone can call themselves an "experienced airline pilot"?

Exactly. Or how about how many hours before you are an equal to someone who was hired in a class before you? I don't know, but the day I think I know it all when it comes to flying, I don't want to fly.

The ab initio program will be the only way these airlines can fill their pilot pools in the future since all the pundits say the schools are being stripped of CFIs. i don't really think that's totally true but how could I know...its just my opinion.

Gatorbird is correct about the judgment issues. Put a low time FO with 250 hours into the right seat and forget about systems knowledge...just the pure overwhelming environment on the radio is enough to make day one of IOE unbearable. I had a good IOE experience, namely because we have IOE captains who are used to hiring minimums around 1000 total and 100 multi, the majority of that time being spent flying cross country. I remember how overwhelming changing frequencies five times before departure seemed to me on day one.

I think coupling that with a larger plane and the busyness of a large airport and you've got immediate judgment problems. If the captain starts doing something inane, the FO is not going to say anything. And then it begins...

I've got no problem with ab initio programs, but they should be taught from day one by former airline pilots, not 1000 hour 25 year old Seminole "studs". The whole mindset should be centered around the airline world, not how to become a CFI, not types of AXE body spray to wear, or what type of small electronic device fits well on the lower pedestal so that the crew can watch Jackass, the movie. The military has done this for years and its been successful. But they get guys after what, a private license, maybe an instrument license?

I live in Corpus Christi and run into a boat load of new military recruits every month who walk around the bar with t-shirts that say "Don't tell your mom I'm an aviator". Its embarrassing to watch this. Its the same type-A new hire fascination new FOs exhibit at regional A or B. You do, however, see the transformation of attitudes at the end when 5% of them go to the F-18 and the rest fly the Cod or the P-3 or Helos if they are just truly awful pilots (don't get that one). I tend to be of the opinion that its the discipline that makes or breaks these guys.

If airlines enact ab initio programs that are centered around discipline and a strict course of study that washes out pilots just like the military, then the system will work and new FOs will be looked upon as better prepared. Bringing in 250 hour $125,000 in debt doe-eyed pilots is just madness. Its just too much for them on day one of IOE. Just my opinion. I mean no disrespect.

Latest resources

Back