• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BrazPilot

Spirit Picketing at FLL - Labor Day

ALPA and Union brothers and sisters,

SPA MEC will hold an informational picketing on Monday, September 1st, from 1000 a.m. to 1200 noon at FLL - Terminal 4.
Come join us if you are in the area and have the time.

Help us stand up to management and their attempt to destroy our contracts and demoralize our profession.

Thanks and see you there,
BrazPilot

URGHHHHHHHHH!!!!

stand together and show does B-ches!!!

Release #08.SPA5
August 29, 2008
Spirit Pilots Spend Labor Day Demanding Management Honor Contracts
Pilots to Picket at Fort Lauderdale Airport to Highlight Management Failures
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.—Spirit pilots, represented by the Air Line Pilots Association, Int’l (ALPA), will conduct informational picketing Monday at Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood Airport, one of the main hubs of Spirit Airlines. Just recently, Spirit Airlines management announced that it will require many of the 70 pilots it plans to furlough on September 1 to fly after their furlough date—a blatant breach of the labor contract.

Picketing will take place from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. on Monday, September 1, at the Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood Airport main terminal, 100 Aviation Boulevard, Fort Lauderdale.
Pilot leaders representing the union will be available for interviews.
“Every week brings a new contract violation,” said Captain Sean Creed, chair of the Spirit unit of ALPA. “The latest ploy—demanding that furloughed pilots continue to fly and be available to fly after their furlough date, and then refusing to pay them the compensation called for in our contract—is an absurd insult that many managers can’t justify with a straight face. These pilots need to find new jobs to support their families and our woefully understaffed carrier is exploiting them. It’s yet another example of how our management from its highest level holds our contract in contempt—and why we need to take back our company.”
Spirit Airlines furloughed 45 pilots on August 1, and announced further plans to furlough 70 on September 1. Almost immediately following the August furloughs, the company made outrageous public claims that pilots had staged a “sick-in.” However, the staff shortage that caused flights to be cancelled was a direct result of furloughing staff without a commensurate reduction in flying. Management continues to address staffing issues by violating the contract, without addressing the underlying problems—poor planning and unrealistic scheduling.
Founded in 1931, ALPA is the world’s largest pilot union and represents 55,000 pilots at 40 airlines in the U.S. and Canada, including more than 500 pilots at Spirit Airlines. Visit the ALPA website at http://www.alpa.org.

so let me get this straight:

spirit furloughs people but wants them to come fly when their short, like a ready reserve,

tell me this taqctic doesnt work.

UFB!!!

i would tell them to ************************* OFF and send me a recall letter and maybe reset your 30 day notice or seomthing

The contract states that any furloughs (reduction bids) are effective on the 1st of a any given month.
Spirit furloughed a group on August 1st and suffered flight cancellations due to lack of staffing/planning. Even an F/O on a FLL-Kingston turn refused to fly back because the return leg was delayed to early hours of August 1st and he was technically furloughed. The flight cancelled in Kingston and the whole crew went to a hotel. He had balls!
Anyway. Another group was to be furloughed on September 1st, but the company, breaking the contract, changed the date to Sept 4th to cover the transition period. Spirit made every furloughed pilot bid for September (everyone got reserve) and is refusing to pay the line value of 72 hours. As of September 4th, they will be on the streets and be paid only the 3 days of reserve.
Very convenient to the company, right?

so let me get this straight:

spirit furloughs people but wants them to come fly when their short, like a ready reserve,

tell me this taqctic doesnt work.

UFB!!!

i would tell them to ************************* OFF and send me a recall letter and maybe reset your 30 day notice or seomthing

Last edited:
i dont advocate calling in sick, but i think they should send a message, *************************'em and feed'em grits

UFB....................horrible plan Spirit MGT. This will only unify the pilots. You are accustomed to having a split pilot group - that won't happen now.

Reap what you sow Spirit..........

asked a reltive going through the airport today to look at them to see what was going on and he said they were just standing in 3 seperate groups just milling around talking....said he did not see any real picket signs or information. what gives?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back