Spirit + ERAU?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Captain4242

Is it true that Spirit has hired 6 kids right out of Embry-Riddle to the copilot's seat? Good for these guys, but c'mon? How can you teach an Airbus, let alone the IFR environment to a 150 hour guy? And are they going to get it?
I'm interested in how the senior guys at Spirit feel about this, and if it works.

They will be telling the captain all about the airplane and how to fly it all in the same breath.:eek:

With all the paid-their-dues guys headed for the street, this just seems wrong. I don't think it's bad to expect recent college grads to wait for the reward a little.

Those guys will be fine, most of them know more then the Captain already.

Know more?

Those guys will be fine, most of them know more then the Captain already.

Yep-

Maybe they know more about ten ERAU planes following the one guy who studied all over Florida on every cross-country flight like some retarded caravan.

Maybe they know more about filming remakes of scenes from "Top Gun" and putting them on youtube. (Just search youtube for "Embry-Riddle Top Gun" if you haven't seen it yet.....Saddest video in history!)

Maybe they know more about having awesome "keggers" and "strip poker" parties with no members of the opposite sex around.

They almost certainly know more about Mommy and Daddy signing over a couple hundred grand for an inferior education which leaves them only marginally prepared to handle a 172 and completely unprepared to handle life.....

-I'll bet that arrogant azsclown General Lee was Valedictorian!

-So Congrats-ERAU folks, you know far more than many of us!!

-Thank God!

Two Words.....

This sums up ERAU for me:

Two simple words-

'Supervised Solo"

This is what they now do on flights which are supposed to be flown "solo." This means they have an instructor who rides along not to teach, but to try and keep the "solo" pilot from killing himself/herself. Also an attempt to eliminate those "cravans" of ten ERAU aircraft following one another on cross-country flights that we used to see all the time.

Based on this "supervised solo" concept, it is now possible for an esteemed ERAU grad (who knows more than the Captain) to make it to an airline without ever actually operating an aircraft alone-for those among us who are real pilots-this is known as "solo."

-Absolutely unacceptable!

Amazing, I just wasted my time building all those hours should have applied to Spirit after my commerical sign off

This sums up ERAU for me:

Two simple words-

'Supervised Solo"

This is what they now do on flights which are supposed to be flown "solo." This means they have an instructor who rides along not to teach, but to try and keep the "solo" pilot from killing himself/herself. Also an attempt to eliminate those "cravans" of ten ERAU aircraft following one another on cross-country flights that we used to see all the time.

Based on this "supervised solo" concept, it is now possible for an esteemed ERAU grad (who knows more than the Captain) to make it to an airline without ever actually operating an aircraft alone-for those among us who are real pilots-this is known as "solo."

-Absolutely unacceptable!

Last I heard a solo was still a solo, even at Riddle.

Latest resources

Back