• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Spirit closing DTW pilot base

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is all a worthwhile argument, but we'll just have to sit tight and see what the NC presents the pilot group with for the next contract. Pref bid would likely negate this entire discussion.......
Might be a good idea to let your reps know that you are demanding membership ratification.

This is all a worthwhile argument, but we'll just have to sit tight and see what the NC presents the pilot group with for the next contract. Pref bid would likely negate this entire discussion.......
Might be a good idea to let your reps know that you are demanding membership ratification.

Although possible - I am sure the MEC would not ratify a new contract without a membership vote.

If you don't like an eventual TA produced by the NC look no further than the MEC - the NC is under the DIRECT control of the MEC.

Just some thoughts.........

Is there anything preventing pref bidding and a guaranteed 5 days off between trips? Pref bidding would actually make it easier and more efficient. With pref bidding they could even guarantee 5 days off during transitions (which we currently don't have).

Pref bidding is a tool that could make great schedules for the pilots and company. But, historically this tool has been used to the disadvatage of the pilots (Although I heard TWAs was good). Pref bidding could make our lives better if (and only if) it is implemented properly.

Pref-bidding would only work if we could create the pairings and had complete control of the parameters loaded into the pref-bidding software. With the current pairings created by scheduling all pref-bidding would do is create the same crummy schedules they currently have because the pairings are not optimized. Marketing would have to be held responsible for not changing the schedule at the last minute thus not giving planning enough time to write the schedules. Now, Marketing gives the flying for the following month about 2 to 3 days before the they are due to be published an sent out to the domiciles. This is hardly enough time to tweak the pairings they only run them thru the optimizer maybe twice before they build the lines. This should be done at least 4 time to get the best pairing efficency.

Pref-bidding will not work because they almost certainly would not let us have complete control of the program and marketing would not give the information to planning with enough time to optimize the pairings. If you do not have good solid pairings then pref-bidding would be a big loser for us.

The last system they proposed in after the last contract was Navatechs, and the most recent was Karmen. The same program that NW uses. TWA had a good system but it was run by the union and they had complete control over it, also they had good solid pairings that made the system worth wild for the crews. Also, Spirit can not be trusted to run any computer program by itself. Just how easy is it to print you schedule if DTW or FLL in the crewroom. It has been like that for as long as I can remember, just imagin now them running the program that run your whole life. The fundamentals to run a program this complex are not in place on the companies side all the promises they make a useless.

And I can not login to CrewTrac.

"Pref-bidding would only work if we could create the pairings and had complete control of the parameters loaded into the pref-bidding software. "

I can hear the company laughing at this a mile away.

"This should be done at least 4 time to get the best pairing efficency. "

Never has this been a priority in Miramar.

"Pref-bidding will not work because they almost certainly would not let us have complete control of the program and marketing would not give the information to planning with enough time to optimize the pairings."

Words of wisdom and experience. NC are you listening?

"The last system they proposed in after the last contract was Navatechs, and the most recent was Karmen. The same program that NW uses."

What a strange coincidence. Want to bet bet that Miramar envisions a system exactly like what NWA uses? You will lose transition conflicts. You will lose training conflicts. You will lose vacation conflicts.

"Also, Spirit can not be trusted to run any computer program by itself"

The fox guarding the hen house.

Pref-bidding (if we get all the control of pairings we want) would be an improvement to our QOL BUT not life shattering event. While Pref-Bid is a HUGE money saver an productivity improver for the company in ANY form.

That distinctly gives the NC an upperhand in this. The company either goes for what we need out of the program or it dies on the table wih no LOA or section in the contract.

Just look at the recent past - the company will trip over a twenty to pick up a nickel................the NC knows this. Have faith in your volunteers that work for us on their days off.

it looks as if they did some sort of proving run down to Key West, the flight number shows up on the flowsheet. This will prove to be a total problem child 4801ft. I can not wait for my turn in the barrell to try and skid off the runway. If I wanted short field landing practice I would buy a C185. It looks like they warmed up on the Dade Collier Transition training field. It is the large airfield out in the middle of the Everglades just off the Curso Arrival into FLL. Check the lastest Jepp Revision 20 I believe it was placed behind MIA.

Heyas,

Key West is a special place. Flew the Dash for PDT out of there a ton.

NAS Key West's idea of separation is somewhat of a curiosity, though. We came out of there IFR one day on an assigned heading. Up out nowhere a fully loaded F-14 goes by so close it fills up the front AND side windshield on the right side, and you could make out the words stenciled on the ordinance.

When we pointed it out to departure (run by the NAS), he just comes back "oh, don't worry about him, he's VFR":rolleyes:

Nu

The only people pref bidding will hurt (if implemented properly) are the guys who love to pick up junior assignment and open time.

Latest resources

Back