• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Spirit Air Pilots move toward possible strike

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"2) Can you explain this? Particulary the "moving all doors closed" part. Thank you...

According to Spirit's contract

“Block-to-Block means that period of time beginning when an aircraft first moves under its own power or under tow from the ramp blocks for the purpose of flight and ending when the aircraft comes to a stop at the ramp at the next intermediate stop or final destination or point of departure, as the case may be."

The company has normally paid from door closure (except for a few older A321s). Now the company says they are going to pay wheel movement on all aircraft according to the definition in our contract.

The union says that since they used to pay us door closure on most aircraft....that company can't change it during negotiations (i.e., past precedence).

Last edited:
Go ahead and shut it down. After all, there are lots of airlines hiring pilots, and it will be easy to find another job!

I sincerely hope that "shutting it down" is not the end result, but...

When you consider - especially for those of us that commute - that what management has done to the schedules will prevent many of us from seeing our families for weeks at a time, and only then for brief periods...

When you consider how many of us have been transformed into commuters due to "base reallocations"...

When you consider that we are already some of the lowest-compensated LCC pilots in the industry (especially FOs) - and then the company dumps us upside down for a few more nickels and dimes (Spirit enjoys the lowest non-fuel CASM in the US)...

When you consider that most of us were accustomed to 15-18 days off, only to see 13 days off become the norm in the same month that some of our own hit the streets...

...you have to question yourself, is this worth saving? Is this really a good job anymore (believe me, it was for awhile!)? Should I continue to sit idly by while management just takes and takes and takes?

Just because there are few flying jobs available right now doesn't mean that I'll accept watching my own job go down the drain.

gator

I sincerely hope that "shutting it down" is not the end result, but...

When you consider - especially for those of us that commute - that what management has done to the schedules will prevent many of us from seeing our families for weeks at a time, and only then for brief periods...

When you consider how many of us have been transformed into commuters due to "base reallocations"...

When you consider that we are already some of the lowest-compensated LCC pilots in the industry (especially FOs) - and then the company dumps us upside down for a few more nickels and dimes (Spirit enjoys the lowest non-fuel CASM in the US)...

When you consider that most of us were accustomed to 15-18 days off, only to see 13 days off become the norm in the same month that some of our own hit the streets...

...you have to question yourself, is this worth saving? Is this really a good job anymore (believe me, it was for awhile!)? Should I continue to sit idly by while management just takes and takes and takes?

Just because there are few flying jobs available right now doesn't mean that I'll accept watching my own job go down the drain.

gator

Looks like JO is becoming more vocal in the Board

I don't know any airline that currently builds schedules that have a minimum of 4 days off between trips, and news flash brother.....most pilots commute at EVERY airline. I can see the rage over mgmt. making up their own rules as you go and if mgmt is nickle and diming you regarding when you start the clock running, I'm thinking the pilots won't need to do much to shut down Spirit Airlines if they are resorting to these tactics.

I don't know any airline that currently builds schedules that have a minimum of 4 days off between trips, and news flash brother.....most pilots commute at EVERY airline. I can see the rage over mgmt. making up their own rules as you go and if mgmt is nickle and diming you regarding when you start the clock running, I'm thinking the pilots won't need to do much to shut down Spirit Airlines if they are resorting to these tactics.
Actually you do...Spirit

From the contract:

g. “Regular Lines” which shall contain:

(1) A planned sequence of trips with intervening days off arranged in a schedule for the month and a variety of bid lines;

(2) No more than eighty-five (85) block hours;

(3) No out of base trips;

(4) No reserve days;

(5) To the maximum extent possible, blocks of five (5) consecutive days off in domicile. In lieu of the above, to the maximum extent possible, no less than four (4) consecutive days off in domicile, except regular lines may contain blocks of less than four (4) consecutive days off in domicile on the first three and last three days of the month. Exceptions tomultiple day-off blocks may occur with prior consultation of the Scheduling Committee Chairman.

(3)No more than 28.5 block hours within a seven-day period.

You had to know the handwriting was on the wall when Spirit started charging for friggn water and pretzels...they can go out of biz anytime and it would do us all alot more good than harm....

Do you remember saying this. I'll let my kids read it a hole. It would do us all a lot more good than harm?

I do hope Midwest, or where ever you work, stays around for the sake of your family.

We have the "wheels in motion" too. Just communicate with the tug driver you need 1.5mph or 2knots on the PFD to get the out time so your on the clock. A good tug driver can get you there in 30 feet and still be in the parking area. It's a little aggressive but hey, I get tired of doing one and a half/two hours of prep work and not earning a dime. We mastered this during the winter months at ORD when we have to get deiced at the gate. Now the clock is running when I have to wait for traffic in the alley or I am getting deiced.
By the way if you can befriend a mechanic, all the various ACARS timing changes are in the box for you to choose from. Just need the access code. Hackers welcome. I must state; I do not recommend that. Just be a better player at the game!
I also want to add my own "goodluck" to all you folks.

Actually you do...Spirit

From the contract:

g. “Regular Lines” which shall contain:

(1) A planned sequence of trips with intervening days off arranged in a schedule for the month and a variety of bid lines;

(2) No more than eighty-five (85) block hours;

(3) No out of base trips;

(4) No reserve days;

(5) To the maximum extent possible, blocks of five (5) consecutive days off in domicile. In lieu of the above, to the maximum extent possible, no less than four (4) consecutive days off in domicile, except regular lines may contain blocks of less than four (4) consecutive days off in domicile on the first three and last three days of the month. Exceptions tomultiple day-off blocks may occur with prior consultation of the Scheduling Committee Chairman.

(3)No more than 28.5 block hours within a seven-day period.

"To the maximum extent possible" just negated everything said after it. Our contract is littered with the same.

Why anyone would sign a contract with loopholes is beyond me. What's the point of a contract?

How about I write up a contract that I'll pay your kid to mow my lawn for $50 a week if I can afford it. If not then it'll be $5. Would you sign that? Of course not, but ALPA and the Teamsters have no issues whatsoever.

Latest resources

Back