Spinning and 172s

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
BushwickBill said:
Keep in mind spins aint too good for the gyros. So dont take out your schools best IFR 172 and spin it. I hate spinning the 172 1/2 the time it wont go into it and you have to hold full cross controls throughout the spin to keep it going. Its not like a Zlin or a real aerobatic plane. I would show them the "falling leaf" deal. Thats my favorite one for students that are afraid of stalls because it isn't too scary and the ones who use ailerons during a stall. It cures them pretty quick.

Dang right on the gyros. The only one I'd spin was the one I rec'd spin training in for my CFI.

As far as the falling leaf stall, I missed it in the post! Great tool for teaching.

/rant

I hear ya there on they gyros... We used the oldest 152 in the fleet. This thing was kinda scary because everyone used it for spins. Lets just say that it always got the most detailed preflight out of any aircraft at the flight school...

The "falling leaf" method worked great on my students too.

Spins were a blast. We used the shatty 152 we had and yes it too got a thourogh preflight. We probably did 20 of em for my CFI and were having so much fun we got lost. My CFI was pretty embarrased.

Anybody seen the video of a bird-dog O-2 spinning??? It shows the vertical stabilizer flexing quite a bit on recovery. I'll try to find it.

Be careful out there guys & girls, spinning a cessna 152/172 just isn't good for the airframe, nevermind the gyros. You can fly without gyros.

It took me to go to a good aerobatic school to learn to do it right, in the right equipment.

If its hard to get in, its harder to get out, if you let it fully develop.

nopax said:
If its hard to get in, its harder to get out, if you let it fully develop.

sorry, that was a little vague

It wasn't until I went to an aerobatic school, that I saw a fully developed spin. I wasn't doing fully-developed spins in a 172/152 prior - merely entry, then fighting with the design of the airplane (that didn't want it to spin). This is like the previous poster that said his would hang inverted for a little bit prior to spinning.

The recovery for the aerobatic airplane I flew there was to pull back on the stick, and apply full opposite rudder, and wait...maybe for 3 more turns or so. Definately unnerving.

Look into the FAR for the requirements that have to be demonstrated by each category of aircraft - ie Normal, Utility, Aerobatic - to recover from a spin. If memory serves me, I think that Normal and Utility airplanes are not required to demonstrate recovery from a fully developed, ie more than 6 turn spin. Spins may become unrecoverable.

The usual recovery quoted by every CFI, including myself, was to push the stick/yoke forward - this may increase the velocity of rotation, as it reduces angle of attack, before showing signs of recovery.

Definately recommend reading 'Anatomy of a Spin', at the very least. Its a small handbook/textbook, that goes into great depth about spins, in different airplanes, and spin recovery techniques. Great ground training reference.

I recommend against spinning a Cessna 172 to train students. You can do spins, but its not considered part of training towards a certificate per FAR, but you have to wear parachutes, and do them in a suitable area, if you choose to spin student pilots.

Seek training from a professional first, before conducting aerobatic training.

Even then, I'd send the students to an aerobatic instructor.

NoPax said:
Be careful out there guys & girls, spinning a cessna 152/172 just isn't good for the airframe...

Not saying you're wrong, because I just don't know...but do you have a reference for this?

-mini

It won't hurt the structure if the accelleration wasn't exceeded, but the gyros take a hell of a beating. I wouldn't allow my 150 to be spun when it was on leaseback because I got tired of having to repair the DG because it had excessive precession. The flight school used a non gyro equipped Aeronca Champ to teach spins to the CFI students.

NoPax said:
You can do spins, but its not considered part of training towards a certificate per FAR, but you have to wear parachutes,

...actually, it is training for a certificate. Stall/spin awareness training can, and should, include spins, spin entry, and spin recovery. The FAA does not hold the idea that instructor training is the only time you can do spins without a parachute. The stall/spin training required of a private pilot can include actual spins.
I agree with you that prolonged spins (more than 3 turns) are not necessary, and should be done in aerobatic training, but a simple 1 or 2 turn entry and recovery is very benificial for the student and is not a danger.

Latest resources

Back