• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Speed restriction in the 172

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In the same category, we got instructions to cross the arrival gate intersection at 1754Z or some-such for a metering program. All the jets with their FMSes just yawn and acknowledge. We on the other hand, in an aircraft almost entirely void of electronics, just as Walter Beech intended, stare at each other and wonder how the heck we;re going to accomplish this. It took an embarrasing 5 minutes with a smoldering calculator to come up with an answer.

Going into somewhere in Ohio a few years ago in the Dash-8, we were being vectored around behind some GA types. The controller instructed some light twin somewhere (ahead of us apparently) to keep the speed up, as there was "a fast mover" behind him. Our curiosity peaked, we asked him who the "fast mover" was, thinking maybe there was some ANG or other military traffic around too. He said "you're the fast mover". We both got a good laugh from that.

UGAflyer said:
Have a buddy that waited in the lear for 3 hours...number 350 or something in line. But that was leaving JAX after the super bowl

Dang, that's a takeoff every 30 seconds, I'm gonna have to call a slight exaggeration on your buddy :)

Especially since most were IFR I'm sure. Formation takeoffs perhaps like the military?

Coming into LAX when I was flying the Brasilia we came in over Burbank and got vectored in on a base entry. We used to pride ourselves on being able to go 250 to the marker and then throw out the anchor with those 10.5 feet props at flight idle. United was coming in on downwind from SMO and was told to slow for spacing.

UAL (annoyed): Approach, what are we following?
SoCal: A Brasilia, and he's 40 knots across the ground faster than you sir.

To his credit:

UAL: Um, well... (laughing) I guess that'll be fine then, won't it?

I have been told to fly "slowest able speed" in a duchess single-engine 'cause i was catching up to a T-38, otherwise known as a Cessna.

User997 said:
Ahh the memories of flying out of Scottsdale Airport!

Hehe...flight schools there have it rough. I've heard many Cessnas on final told to go around, sidestep, for the jet behind them. 10-15 mins hold times for takeoff are not uncommon. I was flying from DVT to CHD last month. Called for transition. "Cessna xxxx, unable transition, say intentions". They really can't stand small airplanes around there. The jets are paying the bills. I now avoid that airport like the plague!

MrB23OSU said:
I have been told to fly "slowest able speed" in a duchess single-engine 'cause i was catching up to a T-38, otherwise known as a Cessna.

Patmack's gotta be right. The T-38 was built by Northrop, anyway...not Cessna (but the Tweet was). Tweets fly close to 100KIAS on final, so it's entirely possible. They're not too quick.

As far as the '38, we fly around 250KIAS prior to configuring. At 220KIAS, it's gear and flaps out to slow to final. Depending upon fuel weight, that ends up somewhere around 165KIAS, but never less than 155...even if we're min fuel. The daamnn thing handles like a geriatric pig at anything less than 250...which is why our regs urge us to fly 300KIAS around the radar pattern (and it's fun to piss the controllers off).

I've been told to slow for traffic on final, but ATC usually asks me to do something unreasonable ("slow to 150 or less" or something like that). The typical response in the T-38 is "unable."

I guess engineers in the 1950s at Northrop couldn't figure out how to have a jet that was supersonic, yet stable at low speeds. I often wish I had some more complex wings (slats, anyone? The F-5s have 'em...).

Ahh, how I don't miss those days....

weekendwarrior said:
I was flying from DVT to CHD last month. Called for transition. "Cessna xxxx, unable transition, say intentions".

And gawd forbid a couple clouds move in over head. The Approach controllers panic and shut that airspace down like a prison!

3,000 ft overcast, and 8 miles visibility, and Approach will tell you the only way you can get into SDL is to hold at the PXR VOR and wait until cleared for the VOR approach into SDL. They kill me. :rolleyes:

Patmack18 said:
The T-45 isn't nearly as clean as the -38... but when those slats are out it's a HUGE difference. We do no flap landings as a Hyd failure practice, and touching down at 160+ is not fun if you ask me... epspecially in an a/c where most of our losses have been because of ground handeling problems.

You're not kiddin'...having the flaps up makes for some interesting approaches. We use 170KIAS +1 knot for every # of fuel on board over 1000#. I've set a bug on final of 180+, and it's nuts.

We compute landing distance with a base length of 2500' + 100' for every # of fuel on board. On a no-flap approach, take that number and double it to get your no-flap landing distance. So...with 2500#, you get a 10,000' landing roll if you land brick one of the runway. And that's when the strip is dry...

Latest resources

Back