Speed restriction in the 172

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fury220 said:
The daamnn thing handles like a geriatric pig at anything less than 250...which is why our regs urge us to fly 300KIAS around the radar pattern (and it's fun to piss the controllers off).

I actually remember that from my T-38 ride at HMN years ago. When I was flying, (at 400+ kts) I just had to think bank to turn, but when we were on final at around 180 with the Major flying, I noticed the stick was moving all over the cockpit, 2-3" all directions.

As far as pissing us off, it's not the 300 kts/downwind that does it, it's the

"We'd like an ILS, fillowed by a localizer with a circle to the opposite direction, followed by a GPS, then a couple overheads, then I'd like to land and 'wheelie' half way down the runway and turn off slowly at the end while you send the Gulfstream around" that gets us.

Oh, and the "I'd like an IFR pickup to some obscure fix on an IR route you never heard of 100 miles away." is always popular too....

:rolleyes: ;)

Vector4fun said:
"We'd like an ILS, fillowed by a localizer with a circle to the opposite direction, followed by a GPS, then a couple overheads, then I'd like to land and 'wheelie' half way down the runway and turn off slowly at the end while you send the Gulfstream around" that gets us.

Oh, and the "I'd like an IFR pickup to some obscure fix on an IR route you never heard of 100 miles away." is always popular too....

.....Ahhh, the good ol' days...(before radar) when we used to do that all the time...before The Computer took over... What? you don't remember that?...Oh, well, it was a different world...(drifts off to a simpler time...);)

CFIcare said:
Same thing happened to me a year ago. I was flying a Duchess into KPIE and has to slow down because I was gaining on a Citation. :D
Had the same thing happen to me at TEB. Overtaking a SloTation

Vector4fun said:
I actually remember that from my T-38 ride at HMN years ago. When I was flying, (at 400+ kts) I just had to think bank to turn, but when we were on final at around 180 with the Major flying, I noticed the stick was moving all over the cockpit, 2-3" all directions.

As far as pissing us off, it's not the 300 kts/downwind that does it, it's the

Yeah, she's REALLY sensitive at high speeds. I was in fingertip just an hour ago at 450KIAS and you can just breathe on the stick (sts) to be out of position. You're right, though...it all turns to mush at approach speeds.

As far as the approaches...yeah, we need to get student training. Oh well :) We always appreciate the flexibility.

That "wheelie" is actually an aerobrake. Stomping on the brakes in the T-38 is a dangerous prospect at anything above 120KIAS, so we just aerobrake at 10-12 degrees nose-high until the nose falls at 100KIAS. Then it's brakes all the way. The '38 does many things quickly, but stopping isn't one of 'em. (reference the landing distance numbers I posted above...)

We typically NEED the whole runway to make it happen! :)

I read once that the landing speed for an F-104 was 185Kts, unless the boundry layer system had failed, in which case it was 265 Kts. I can not fathom touching down at that kind of speed.

I used to work the NASA F104s, and I recall they told us 170 kts + 10 kts per thousand lbs fuel, so 185-190 sounds right. Don't know anything about no boundry layer system though. What was really wild is they'd be doing about 600 kts gs all the way to a twenty mile final, and 300+ to ten miles. A 104 on thirty mile final was #1 always...

I was in an Alarus the other day following a Seminole with a callsign that ended in Echo Romeo. We were asked to slow 10kts because we were overtaking the aircraft ahead.

For those of you that don't know about an Alarus, it's a total dog. It's a good day if you get it over 95kts during a steep descent.

And for those of you familiar with DAB, taxiway November was backed up to Echo with high rollers waiting to depart 7L after the 500 on Sunday.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back