Speed Limit under Class Bravo

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
minitour said:
I've been trying to find out for a while now, but no one can seem to answer the question.

When you're IFR, how do you know when you're under the Class Bravo airspace and have to reduce to 200kts? I realize that the Jepp area charts show radials and DME to help you out, but the NOS charts just show the class B area as a whole.
Good question Mini. (I knew you could do it! :p ) As other have pointed out, the speed is generally 250 kias below 10,000' and 200 kias beneath the lateral limits of class B airspace. If you're operating in and out of the primary airport in the class B airspace you don't have to worry about it - they'll keep you in class B.

The problem arises when operating into an outlieing airport. For example, I fly out of SEE which is 12 nm from SAN. The base of the overlaying class be airspace is 4800' msl, SEE is at roughly 400' msl. We simply have to be aware of where the class B airspace is and manage our speed appropriatley. ATC is usually accomodating and will slow you to 200 knots prior to your descent, but you can't always count on them to do so; besides, it's not their responsibility.

'Sled

Look, don't go telling me stuff about "I should know where I am at all times" I DO, but when being vectored around PHX in a fighter, I may not have the best Situational Awarness on where the Class B is at every minute. I don't have an autopilot and am in a tight cockpit by myself. It would be UNSAFE for me to have charts all over the canopy while trying to fly the jet around busy airspace. I have had no problems what so ever with PHX controllers and, in fact, have been praised for not being a hassle. I have never had anyone in my squadron have a problem and we fly everywhere in the country.
Again, I'm not saying I am in the right, but my options are limited. I may slow down to 200kts anytime I'm am near class B and will ask my compadres to do the same.
Don't go being condesending and an arse for no reason.

The arrival from the west into SNA has the same "gotcha". Best to do 200 kts. if there is any doubt, and let them ask you to go faster, if they need it.

minitour said:
I've been trying to find out for a while now, but no one can seem to answer the question.

When you're IFR, how do you know when you're under the Class Bravo airspace and have to reduce to 200kts? I realize that the Jepp area charts show radials and DME to help you out, but the NOS charts just show the class B area as a whole.
Fly a Citation, you'll never have to worry about that (rim shot!). <-- That's for all you Citation Hata's out there! :D

I agree with everyone else in the above posts.

As for set speed rules, like they said earlier. Anytime your below 10,000 ft, you need to be under 250 kts, period. If ATC takes you below Class B shelves, they will give you specific speed restrictions, and make you slow up. That's always been my experience.

User997 said:
If ATC takes you below Class B shelves, they will give you specific speed restrictions, and make you slow up.

If they issue you a speed or not the max is still 200 KIAS under Class B airspace.

Bjammin said:
Never been questioned and have fly 250kts all the time, dosen't mean I'm right, just think maybe some controllers care and others don't. So back to the original question I guess, if you don't have a sectional, how would you know you are under Class B?

You may not have been questioned but I have. You need to be at 200kts below class B. Don't forget this also comes into effect when you are departing from an airport that is under a class B. I have to sometimes remind myself not to speed up to 250 until I am either outside the class b or in it.

It doesnt matter if you are IFR or VFR. Speed is speed.

User997 said:
Anytime your below 10,000 ft, you need to be under 250 kts, period. If ATC takes you below Class B shelves, they will give you specific speed restrictions, and make you slow up.
There is an exception to the 250 KIAS below 10,000' - when you're in IAH airspace the controllers can authorize you to exceed the limit. You can also exceed the limit if the aircraft you are flying requires it. Finally, don't count on having the controllers slow you before they descend you. They should, but if they don't it's still your fanny on the line.

'Sled

Lead Sled said:
There is an exception to the 250 KIAS below 10,000' - when you're in IAH airspace the controllers can authorize you to exceed the limit. You can also exceed the limit if the aircraft you are flying requires it. Finally, don't count on having the controllers slow you before they descend you. They should, but if they don't it's still your fanny on the line.

'Sled

Sled, I thought that the feds repealled the faster than 250 below 10000 in the IAH airspace. I thought it was a test program.

Latest resources

Back