Southwest's new plan to screw Airtran pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yo, Leeroy-like taking candy from a baby

apparently, you, climbhappy, and SWA/FO think you're smarter than SWA management.
Can you prove to me where SWA has gained market share by not charging for bags?

No you can't, and the financial analysts that cover the airline industry can't seem to see it either. That's why they keep asking Gary to prove his claims of increased market share.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/travel/flights/2009-12-13-southwest-checked-bags_N.htm
Gary Kelly, Southwest's CEO, says the no-fee policy has helped the airline increase its share of the domestic market by about 1%, or $800 million to $900 million.
http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2011/0718/features-southwest-airlines-gary-kelly-midway-grown-up.html
In the end it was a genius move and typical Southwest: unconventional, brash, unabashed. By refusing to nickel-and dime customers, Southwest added two percentage points in marketshare, increased passenger loads by 10% and brought in $2 billion in incremental annual revenue--at a cost of $500 million or so in forgone bag fees. "We added 24% more revenue per mile without buying another plane," says Kelly.

Last edited:

Let me type really slowly so you will understand.

P-R-O-V-E I-T!
The Financial Analysts are asking the EXACT same thing and Gary doesn't seem to be able to give them data that satisfies their questions.

If you think that two articles from the USA Today and Forbes is some sort of proof then you are a bigger moron than I thought you were to begin with.

Hey Moron,
Why hasn't Gary started charging for bags? Answer that, dummy.

Hey Moron,

Because Gary made a fool of himself by making such a huge deal of not charging for bags, and now he'll look like an even bigger fool if he goes back on it. He's painted himself into a corner.

Hey Moron,

Hey Dummy, have you ever seen the "People's Court" SWA TV commercials? I guess you haven't. They always said "Oh, SWA would NEVER do that...." when it came to charging for bags. OOOOOPS.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Hey Dummy, have you ever seen the "People's Court" SWA TV commercials? I guess you haven't. They always said "Oh, SWA would NEVER do that...." when it came to charging for bags. OOOOOPS.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Guess you can't answer the question, either.

Gary can't charge for bags because the computer reservation system can't charge for bags.

Yet you can charge for priority boarding that gives you a free drink along with it? Are you sure about that? What about the new fees for more than 2 bags? Are you sure about your statement?

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back