• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest's Kelleher, Barrett stepping down in '08

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Where do you draw the line, then? What if she was praying? What if she was asked "whatcha readin?" What if an FA makes a comment about Bush, the war, the poor choices of beer on SWA? Would they discipline her equally? At all? This kind of stuff happens everywhere. How many times have you heard someone pull the "race card" to save their job? I've heard it several times. Never hear about that in the press, do you?

I grant you the press never gets it 99% right, but SWA has an image as the "fun loving" airline. You'd think they would do what's necessary to spin this in their favor.

I couldn't tell you exactly where the line is drawn, although I would venture a guess that it's more the courts' decision than it is SWA's.

Comments on Bush, the war, and poor choices of beer are not covered by harassment and discrimination laws. Religion, however, is. If somebody is sitting on the jumpseat and keeps trying to sell you their brand of Christianity, and you politely decline, then you should be allowed to work in an environment where that person doesn't continue to "harass" you due to your religious beliefs.

And yes, I've seen the race card played, too. I'm not sure what that has to do with this situation. However, the point of my post was to point out that there was more to the story than what you read in the newspaper. Don't expect SWA to defend themselves to the press in those situations - a company can be legally liable if they share information on an employee investigation or discipline, unless it is relevant to the investigation. An employee, however, can go and say
whatever he/she wants to the press, with virtually no repercussions.

It sucks, but that's the way it is.

Anyway, I apologize, as I've gotten this conversation off track. Talk amongst yourselves. :0

LOL. If you guys think SWA is overly PC, ....................

You would if you were a pilot at SWA. Gup's right, then again, he is a pilot at SWA.

Say What?

Somewhat. We get paid to fly by the book not by the seat of our pants or paper!:eek:

I am still trying to figure this one out....I understand the "flying by the seat of our pants" stupid cliche, but what the hell has paper got to do with anything? Are we now flying by the paper? Maybe by the paper in our pants? Maybe instructordude pooped his pants and he can't find some paper?

-Confusing-please don't try to mix cliches, instructordude, that is work better reserved for "smart guys."

Mega. Sexual harassment is not only preferred but I'll give bonus points for style.

Racer. Tell you what. Next time a pilot is telling a dirty joke on an overnight and you get offended, how about you say something so we know where the line is instead of running to Colleen and getting the pilot suspended for a few weeks? OK?

There is no ownership of responsibility at this airline. If you are offended at the workplace, the responsibility to SPEAK UP should be one you so that the offending person knows he/she is out of line or at least know where your boundries are. Or you could simply remove yourself from the situation.

I think it's a load for someone to be so out of line as to possibly get fired for asking a question such as.......

1. so are you married?
2. what church do you go to?
3. is that your boyfriend/girlfriend?
4. hey did you hear the one about the hooker and the preacher? :)

You get my point.

Gup

It's all airlines Gup.

The Pig.

Herb and Colleen are losing their titles but the filings say they keep their offices and will remain with the company performing duties at the HQ for some period, I believe it is 5 years afterwards.

The only person who can have the title of President and Ch of the Board at this point is Gary even though it hasn't been announced. How could a new president take over when the old one is sitting down the hallway in her office? Plus giving up her seat on the BOD is a huge sign of changing times also.

Having GK in charge of all 3 is a good thing (if it happens that way), consolidates things and lets everyone know who is in charged vs a power vacuum with HK and CB leaving right away.....of course this all started back in April '01 when HK announced his retirement....it has been a well thought out planned with changes that have occurred with Jim Parker's interim appointment, 9/11, FA strike, JP's departure and then GK appointment.

Now that GK is firmly entrenched and has some of the initial moves made for putting who he wants in place around him over the last few years, he'll start working on the other departments in a year or so when CB departs....they run very well generally....what GK will bring to the table is the veto power to have common sense rule over decisions that in the past may not have been able to muster full support from CB's staff or herself but now that obstacle will be gone. Whethe that will make us less or more PC who knows....but the logic test will be applied from GK's basis and there will be full consensus now to go with that....he'll still seek inputs but he'll be able to accept responsibility for those decisions when in the past he has had to maybe live with decisions that may not have been to his full liking (something we all have to do in life, just ask my wife and kids.)

HK and CB came in together, they will slowly go out together....we owe a lot to them and without them both SWA would not be where we are today....most pilots praise HK, less toward CB but she still garners respect from most....the question is who becomes GK right hand person on customer relations and the culture, who is the heir apparent to that role within SWA....with Colleen remaining at the HQ for sometime that transition will be slower than desired for some, howerver I suspect someone will be appointed that is closely aligned to GK and while may have been under Colleen previously but will realize who is in charge now (GK) and will follow GK's lead and be a trusted agent for the vision he has for SWA....the sign of good leaders is to have a good exit strategy that leaves better leaders in place to run the operations.....Herb has masterfully groomed the right folks and has been laying out the plan for all to see....not many corporations and most certainly airlines haven't had this smooth of a transition when one looks at the recent history I think.....we went through a hiccup with Jim Parker but that is not uncommon when the immediate replacement is made (always have a strong bullpen to pull from...we had it with GK) and some have argued intentionally planned....who knows but we certainly have a capable one now.

There are good relations between employee groups and management, maybe ramp is the one exception due to big changes on the line....however, with pilot negotiations happening in earnest it is not to be overlooked because for the first time since Herb turned 60 (16 years ago), the most powerful person at the airline will be of the same generation as the head of the pilot group and will also be less senior in years at SWA and experience than the leader of our union.

Negotiating with someone you view in the same light as a grandfather or father figure, e.g. HK, versus someone from one's own demographic group, GK is a big difference. Those are unique demographics that have never occurred at SWA before except in the very early days of the airline....these are interesting times.

Last edited:
Where do you draw the line, then? What if she was praying? What if she was asked "whatcha readin?" What if an FA makes a comment about Bush, the war, the poor choices of beer on SWA? Would they discipline her equally? At all? .

"Get back in the cabin and serve those cokes you fat pig" is not sexually harrassing, and should keep her from nosing into your business anymore. Another answer that will keep her at bay is "I'm researching which cult to join..." Another good one: "Just looking over some of the info on the latest Herpes treatments...."

The goal, of course, is to minimize your interaction with any chick that is under the mistaken impression her opinion about anything is going to change the way you view an issue even one iota.

correction: I didn't mean "chick". That is sexist. I meant "aisle donkey". I would have the same retort for a male FA.

Southwest is the most laid back airline there is:

Once herd on the PA during the safety breif:

"Should be crash in water and you survive the impact, and post crash you can use the seat cushion as a PFD and kick kick kick until you are rescued. If you are rescued you can keep the cushion courtsey of SWA"

Now is that PC? No... Now I thought it was great but does everyone see it that way. If someone said that at AA during taxi out we would have to turn back to the gate to throw the FA off prior to takeoff.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back