"Southwest would NEVER do that......"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

General Lee

Southwest Airlines plans new fees to aid revenue in 2013 - Southwest Airlines, known for its popular "bags fly free" policy, said it will implement new travel fees next year as part of a plan to increase revenue by $1.1 billion.

The company told investors on Friday that it will raise fees on third bags and overweight baggage, increase fees for flights on AirTran, the carrier it bought last year, and roll out new fees tied to the sale of open and premium boarding positions at airport gates. The company also said it would implement a no-show fee for restricted tickets that are not canceled by passengers prior to departure.

"This should add ancillary revenue and promote customer behavior that allows us to re-sell the open seat prior to departure," Southwest Chief Commercial Officer Bob Jordan said of the no-show fee during the investor meeting, which was webcast.

Southwest, which has a "bags fly free" policy under which there is no charge for a first and second checked bag, said the fee changes were expected to contribute about $100 million to revenue next year.

Of the $1.1 billion in revenue gains it expects next year, $300 million would come from the new fees and other moves related to improving operations, the Dallas-based carrier said.

The traditional discount leader, Southwest is now finding it must work harder to stay profitable in the face of labor and fuel cost pressures and rising competition.

Southwest has stressed a need to cut expenses to compete better with rivals that have restructured. Last year's Chapter 11 filing by AMR Corp's American Airlines leaves Southwest as the only major U.S. carrier that has not reorganized in bankruptcy.

Southwest's cost advantage compared with rivals "is not as great as it was in the year 2000 but is still very significant," Chief Executive Gary Kelly said."This is critical for our past success and of course critical for our future, to maintain our cost advantage," Kelly said.

Shares of Southwest were up 1.8 percent to $10.32 in Friday trading.

Where is that portly SWA Captain in those "People's Court" commercials? He is probably huffing and puffing, running between gates during his 25 min turns. Someone that old should be enjoying his later years of flying by doing one leg a day to Hawaii, or somewhere interesting like Sydney. Oh well....

Bye Bye----General Lee

as some one who in the past selected Southwest largely due to no nickel and dime, and their "Business Select" value... I think that's a big mistake.

Great, another 5 page thread is about to start with nothing but GL bashing SWA on every other post.

Last edited:
GL we all get it. DL is operating much better than WN right now by almost every measure and your payrates will soon be better than WNs. As a result I think a large number of FL/WN pilots, especially those under 40, will try and mirgrate to DL once you are hiring again. Lack of ancillary revenue and Bags Fly Free have hurt WN, not helped. The People's Court commercial was an epic fail. DL got most of FLs assests and all WN got out of the deal was a large number of disgruntled employees. Did I miss anything?

Last edited:
And

I have a domestic pairing with 5 legs each day on consecutive days on my board with an OK overnight. Also I know a couple of guys who left DL for WN during the bankrutcy that now say that it was the worst decision they ever made and they kick themselves daily for it. Is that a BIG enough win for you GL? Does that run up the score enough?

And yet more examples of why aviation is not viewed as a true profession. Just take :30 minutes to read some of the stuff on FI.com... "My airline is better than your airline!" Or "Haha your stuck in that plane...ewwww."

I wonder if Doctors at the Mayo Clinic are in turf wars with Doctors at John Hopkins?

Or if lawyers write, under anonymous names, trash about lawyers at another firm.... Probably not, they are all hanging out after work at some bar in Manhattan.

Ghetto,

Each airline is different. SWA is still a good airline. I just HATED those dumb "People's Court" TV commercials, and this is my response. We all know ancillary revenue has to rise for everyone to compete and profit. SWA used to profit with the fuel hedge advantage. Now fees will become more commonplace.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest resources

Back