• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Window

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Does a FO at SWA really make $200k a year, or is this an exaggeration? Looking at airline central it doesn't add up, but then again ac doesn't show all the extras.

Yes, it can be done. And no, I don't live on a computer and do very little premium time (still too junior). I'll be just shy of that number this year.

Do I work my ass off? Sure. There's plenty of soft credit around your vacation months (CBA offers overlap drops) and training months. So I typically shoot for 120 on regular months and still have enough days off for other things. If you didn't want to do ANYTHING extra (including VO pull) then you'd probably be in that 150-160k that Wave mentioned in his thread about feeling financially stable.

I think he stated that if you aren't financially stable at 160k, you probably won't be at 230k either. I completely agree. I also save heavily too. It's allowed me to branch out from the industry and make money elsewhere and not be completely dependent on SW.

There are a ton of guys here that don't do anything extra (and I mean nothing) and still get paid well (150-160k) with a HUGE number of days off. I tend to work more and get larger checks. Which by the way, leads to more 401k money, Profit Sharing, Sick Time, etc. To each their own.

Not quite Freight.

I got hired without the type, and PFT_128 actually paid a company so he could have a job.

Would you pay to work at McDonald's?

Did you have to obtain it before class? If you did, then saying you were hired without it is just a semantic trick.

Did you have to obtain it before class? If you did, then saying you were hired without it is just a semantic trick.

Huh?

Yea, maybe I should have just walked away from a 6 million dollar career because I didn't have the type, but got the thumbs up (what was I thinking!). I got the type for 5k, wrote 3k off my taxes and was off to the races after getting out of class. Picked up open time at 2nd year pay and that 2k out of my pocket was done it about two months.

What a horrible, horrible move on my part!

Should we not require it? Absolutely, but I don't make the rules.

OR..

Like PFT_128, I should have paid Southwest $25,000 for their job. Big, big difference.

Last edited:
Don't be obtuse, Redflyer, I never said you should or should not have taken it. I merely pointed out your dishonesty.

They told me I was HIRED without the type rating Nindiri. Was their a type restriction before class? Sure.

But the point is, I walked into a SW interview WITHOUT the type rating and got hired. You understand that right? Quite being obtuse yourself.

Did PFT_128 walk into Gulfstream without 25k and get hired? I don't know, ask him.

No, you did not. You couldn't show up to class without it. Why are you so determined to be dishonest here? It's not like it's a big deal that you got a type.

Latest resources

Back