• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest - WHY no assigned seats?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You have to remember that SWA started as a very short haul low cost carrier serving the Texas market. At the time we were known for ten minute turns and very short flights. Who cares if you get a middle seat for a 30 minute seat right? But now things have changed. We are flying coast to coast and most turns are 25-40 minutes.

I do know that not having assigned seats does board the AC faster than with assigned seats, but I too agree there has to be a better way.

As for entertainment, I think it will come someday. The more pressure by our passengers the faster it will happen.

Cheers

I do know that not having assigned seats does board the AC faster than with assigned seats, but I too agree there has to be a better way.

America West assigns seats, but puts group numbers on the boarding cards, and boards that way. They don't seem to take any longer to board than SWA.

What cattle car style boarding does is make for a quicker check in.

Just another $.02

If SWA resorts to 1st class seating, I'm pulling my app (which I did get in before the 1 Apr deadline). For SWA to become like everybody else, it would be killing the goose that laid the Golden egg.

There's a reason SWA has been so successful, and it's not being like United/Delta/Nothwest/Continental/American/... The reason: Low Cost! Someone told me Herb used to say SWA wasn't competing with all the other major carriers, it was competing with Greyhound, Continental Trailways and with the Interstate Highway system.

Throw in all the expensive gadgets and amenities, as well as a hateful Union vs. Management philosophy and SWA will tank just like its arch rival Braniff.

I say keep it the way it is. It's about getting from Pt. A to Pt. B inexpensively. You want entertainment, buy a book.

I want a job with a company that's going to be there in the long haul; that's not going to furlough at the drop of the DJIA.

Pour me a glass of Kool-aid please, I'll gladly drink.

A lot of other airlines board early. They even push early. If your running for an SWA flight that leaves at 8 am...you got until 8 am to get there. Recently, I had to run to jump onto NWA.. with 15 minutes to go...nobody was waiting to board and they were wraping up the paperwork. They pushed 10 early.

I would write/call SWA in Dallas about your experience. They are in a better postion to help then most people on this board can do.

I will say at SWA - we pre-board Mother's with babies, older folks and jumpseaters. Other carriers board their Gold Star double check plus frequent flyers, then the single check plus, then silver check plus, then people traveling with some kids. Oh yeah, the jumpseater always last (with no bin space available - I feel your pain). I always hear SWA flight attendants anouncing that folks should not put their coats up in the bin to after the bags are up there...

Customer service is very important to SWA. While in pilot training they hand out the book "Hard Landings" to read so that we don't become like everyother carrier.

Funny...some people on this board say they don't want to be like a LCC or SWA for that matter...but do they ever think we don't want to be like them?

I actually like the board process on southwest. I often have to book last minute tickets, usually on Southwest since it ends up being cheapest (and I live by BWI). On other airlines usually the last minute tickets end up being middle seats. On southwest I can book the day before and then show up a couple hours before and almost always get a window or aisle.

Heavy Set said:
Just letting off some steam... I hope you guys at Southwest can make some "high placed" suggestions because I saw first-hand today that higher-yield business travelers don't appreciate the cattle-car routine... Southwest is the last airline without assigned seating - it is probably time for a change (and it likely won't cost too much given the existing infrastructure)...

Heavy Set,

Please tell me you don't expect to get a Ruth Chris steak at Ryan's prices. ;)

SWA does business their way for a reason: It works for them. IMHO, SWA isn't trying to be everything for everyone. They are simply trying to provide a good product at a fair price. Some folks don't like SWA and never will. However, you have some valid points and I'm sure some of the SWA guys here will forward them up the chain.

But please reread SWA/FO comments: "Funny...some people on this board say they don't want to be like a LCC or SWA for that matter...but do they ever think we don't want to be like them?"

I think SWA/FO hit the nail on the head.

Yahtz

Last edited:
People fly Southwest for the same reason that people eat at McDonald's, even though the food is crap, and they know before they order that the food is crap. Even though across the street, you can pay the same money and get food that, while maybe not gormet, is certainly less crappy. They know if they go to McDonald's, they will get exactly what they expect to get on a consistent basis, even if it is consistently bad.

They have been conditioned over the last 30+ years to accept this as "value". A new company could start today, offering the EXACT same product at the exact same price, but people would reject it automatically as inferior. They would not accept the "cattle-car" boarding procedures at any company except Southwest...guaranteed. Yet, they gleefully arrive at the airport hours before departure to be among the first in line to jump at the chance to participate in it at Southwest. Just as they wait in the drive-thru behind 16 cars at McDonald's for the opportunity to fork over their money for a Big Mac and fries.

Pre-boarding with kids

My wife flew to PHX fro LIT last month with our 6 and 8 year old kids and weren't allowed to pre-board. Evidently you have to have very young kids to pre-board, 3 and under or something. So bringing the kids along may not help.

Yahtzee,

It is clear that Southwest has done well with its business model. I am simply suggesting that the unassigned seat deal needs to be reviewed in light of the fact that all other LCCs (including Song) offer assigned seats - and the majority of passengers probably prefer to have assigned seats. Now that the plastic boarding passes are gone - and replaced with regular paper tickets, Southwest should consider this a great time to remove the "cattle car" stigma. That is all I am suggesting...

Your point about Ruth Chris Steaks is not valid. Jetblue offers cheap tickets too with few frills and caters better to business travelers who don't want to worry about last-minute seat assignements... As I said earlier - this is not a "you get what you pay for" situation because both Airtran and Jetblue are AS CHEAP and yet offer seat assignments - that's all I care about at this point..............

Just trying to make some helpful suggestions.... I consider this to be a competitive disadvantage for Southwest when they compete head-to-head with Airtran, Jetblue or Song at comparable prices.... Nobody likes to have "seat anxiety" - and I will avoid Southwest as a PAX (although I'd love to sit up front if I had the chance) if I have a choice of another LCC until this is fixed - no disrespect to the fine Southwest professionals on this board.... I don't think it would take much to fix - some new website software and a few extra input keys on the check-in computers (the paper confirmation tickets already exist) - that would probably reduce some of the customer frustration...

Just my 2 cents.

Heavy Set,

In retrospect, I should have let the coffee kick in before typing the post. I regret placing it as I was still trying to wake up from last night's vampire shift. :(

If you hadn't have already replied, I would have deleted the post. But, I'm accountable for my mistake (making a post while groggy) ;) and so it stands.

My apology to you if you feel I was in any way making a personal attack on you or the "high class business travelers". I think your points will certainly get reviewed by SWA and hope you have more positive experience in the future.

You offered some valid constructive criticism that can only help SWA and for that you are to be commended.

Peace

Yahtz

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back