• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Upgrade

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No. But it's a pretty close account of a Pan Am career from his perspective. I don't think the author went to Delta, but I could be wrong.
http://gandt.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-custom.cgi?d=robert-gandt-productions&page=6652

I thought I remembered that the author hired on in 66 and went to Delta. It turns out I had his Pan Am hire date wrong, it was 65. I remember thoroughly enjoying the book.

My dad was hired at Ual in 66, and while never furloughed, was a long time Fe and Fo. As far as the long and bumpy ride to the left seat, a 66 Pan Am and Ual hire had a very similar experience, despite many other differences.

Last edited:
http://gandt.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-custom.cgi?d=robert-gandt-productions&page=6652

I thought I remembered that the author hired on in 66 and went to Delta. It turns out I had his Pan Am hire date wrong, it was 65. I remember thoroughly enjoying the book.

My dad was hired at Ual in 66, and while never furloughed, was a long time Fe and Fo. As far as the long and bumpy ride to the left seat, a 66 Pan Am and Ual hire had a very similar experience, despite many other differences.

Yup... 21 year upgrade for my dad and never furloughed. He came close though!

Skygods is a great read and a relevant warning, even today. You never know what's gonna happen!

Yup... 21 year upgrade for my dad and never furloughed. He came close though!

Skygods is a great read and a relevant warning, even today. You never know what's gonna happen!

It was 20 years for mine, and then into the left seat of a 737-200. Ual didn't hire a sole from 70-78, and the 69-70 hires were furloughed for much or all of that time frame.

Meanwhile, a buddy of my dad's, same age, but hired in early 64, upgraded in short order and kept it. He used to love to tell me that story, "let me tell you what a number means....."

That dividing line between a have and have not can be in an awfully narrow time frame. It's also why these seniority integrations get so contentious, because of what a number means.

I remember when I told my dad I wanted to pursue this career, he kind of gave me an 'oh boy' look and warned me that it could be rough going.

Just like everyone else over the years, you can doubt SW will do this or that, but I'd say Dallas has a full plan for international departures in the future. The timeframe? I have no idea. I see them looking to get past the AAI acquisition and possibly past the Wright Amendment restrictions first.

The Wright Amendment repeal prohibits international flights from DAL, even after 2014.

The Wright Amendment repeal prohibits international flights from DAL, even after 2014.

Doesn't prohibit massive growth out of Love though.

Flights like DAL-SEA, DAL-BOS, DAL-LAX, etc. They've already been running the numbers on how many flights they can work per hour at each gate and it's not a small number.

Doesn't prohibit massive growth out of Love though.

Flights like DAL-SEA, DAL-BOS, DAL-LAX, etc. They've already been running the numbers on how many flights they can work per hour at each gate and it's not a small number.

Oh, I expect lots of growth out of here in 2014. I'm looking forward to it.

I was just referring to the earlier statement of possible international flights out of DAL.

Latest resources

Back