• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Uniform Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What is the SWA pilot winter uniform? Leather jackets? London Fog? Blazer?

Thanks

Check airman wear Blazers, Don't think London Fog is even an approved uniform piece for pilots (Have NEVER seen any pilot wear one if it is but think it did recently get approved by the FA's). FO's wear Leather jackets and Captain's try to go the whole winter without any jacket, the airplanes are usually preheated at night with Jetway air, so it wouldn't be necessary if you don't need to go outside...Fair weather base captains (MCO) are the last to wear them with some making it almost until the end of January. I think it's some macho competition to see who can hold out the longest, Must be some betting going on in the secret Captain hangout where us FO's are not allowed to go (they disappear every flight and come back later and no one knows where they go! It will come out for 2 months then get hung back up in the crew room (under lock and key, apparently the cleaners like leather flight jackets as well)
KBB

It's the same as American, down to the same wings with SW replacing the AA. If wearing the blazer, the pants have to be the same colored blue and material, but there is some allowances for the pants to not be the same material if they are similar in color if not wearing the blazer. I've always used the company pants since they tend to hold up well. There are some uniform police out on line, so it also keeps me out of hot water. As stated, the only pilots that wear the blazer or hats tend to be Check Airmen or Check FOs. Long sleeves tend to fall in that category as well.

Dark navy pants (seen some black), white shirt with no wings. I use the VanHusen Aviator.

Long sleeves, blazer and hat wearers I try to avoid.

Leather coat (never worn my blazer)

Leather gloves, ear muffs, and scarf in the winter (MDW based)

My goal is to get to Nov 1 without the coat, but then again I'm the one walking around outside.

Tie has to be on the approved list. I wear a red/white/blue flag print bought off of ebay for $4.

Black shoes, white socks....just kidding.

Company pants do hold up very well.

Last edited:
I wear the blazer when weather dictates that its the most reasonable choice. 40 deg in ISP followed by 80 deg in FLL? Blazer. 30 deg in ISP and 15 deg in MSP? Leather.

Blazers look good all around. Leather looks good if its taken care of, and more importantly, the pilot is taken care of.

Some of these fat old guys wearing leather that has not been cleaned in so long that it looks purple, with holes in the elbows look like 10 lbs. of shh1tt in a 5 lb. bag. Even the fattest slob looks alright in the blazer.

There are plenty of guys out there who know that blazers and hats look better, but wont wear them because theyre afraid of what a handful of people might think. Biggest problem with the hat is its sort of a pain. Bottom line wear WTF you want, just make sure you look sharp doing it. The pax who pay you on the 5th and 20th DO give a shh1tt.

It's the same as American, down to the same wings with SW replacing the AA. If wearing the blazer, the pants have to be the same colored blue and material, but there is some allowances for the pants to not be the same material if they are similar in color if not wearing the blazer. I've always used the company pants since they tend to hold up well. There are some uniform police out on line, so it also keeps me out of hot water. As stated, the only pilots that wear the blazer or hats tend to be Check Airmen or Check FOs. Long sleeves tend to fall in that category as well.

What are those guys and what do they do?

So pretty much any dark navy blue pants will work?

What are those guys and what do they do?

So pretty much any dark navy blue pants will work?

They are usually the newly retired 20+ service guys who only know how to live their lives "by the book".

And yes, any dark navy pant will work.

Latest resources

Back