• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I got a rental car in Miami as well as a condo overlooking Biscayne Bay for initial training on the 9. Some also stayed in condos out at the Doral Country Club. When transitioning from the 9 to the 71, we were downgraded to the Embassy Suites and only the instructors got rental cars ;(.

Normally in a class of 24 there will be a 4 or 5 guys that have a car. My class carpooled everywhere together (training center, downtown, restaurants, Gentleman's club, etc).

3 year upgrade, $185/hr top pay.

Do the math, and do you really want to be in the wrong seat for over ten years?
When I do the math, it comes out like this when using pay rates alone and minimum guarantee:

Start out at Spirit and work for 3 years as an F.O. then upgrade to captain at year 4. Total earnings over a 10 year period-$1,020,384.

Start out as an F.O. at SWA and work in the right seat for 10 years. Total earnings over a 10 year period-$1,141,920.

Difference-$121,536.

For $121,536, yes I'd rather be stuck in the wrong seat for a decade.

Of course, this is only a comparison of hourly rates at minimum guarantee, there are many intangibles involved but intangibles are very difficult to quantify.

When I do the math, it comes out like this when using pay rates alone and minimum guarantee:

Start out at Spirit and work for 3 years as an F.O. then upgrade to captain at year 4. Total earnings over a 10 year period-$1,020,384.

Start out as an F.O. at SWA and work in the right seat for 10 years. Total earnings over a 10 year period-$1,141,920.

Difference-$121,536.

For $121,536, yes I'd rather be stuck in the wrong seat for a decade.

Of course, this is only a comparison of hourly rates at minimum guarantee, there are many intangibles involved but intangibles are very difficult to quantify.

Ten year upgrade?

Try twenty, what upgrade calculator are you using?

You asked: "Do the math, and do you really want to be in the wrong seat for over ten years?"

So, I did the math, and the answer was "YES."

It's pretty hard to look forward more than five years, or so, and
not everybody is ready for the left seat in just three years.

It's pretty hard to look forward more than five years, or so
Yes, I agree it is hard forecast anything past one or two really. That's why the 20 year upgrade estimates are based on ZERO growth at SWA for the next two decades. What is the zero growth estimate for upgrade at Spirit?

Latest resources

Back