Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest to San Juan late 2010 or 2011...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Where does the 162 miles come from? Is it an Ops spec that gives relief from FAR 121.339?

FAR 121.339 requires a life raft for "extended overwater operations".

Extended over-water operation means--
(1) With respect to aircraft other than helicopters, an operation over water at a horizontal distance of more than 50 nautical miles from the nearest shoreline;

Gen Lee will post u guys will take years to learn to fly intl., yet all DCI carriers learn to do intl. in the 3 months notice DL gives them. Over water does not take long

Here's what I had to put up with on an all-nighter for 6 hours over Brazil a couple of years ago. I think it was a ATL-Sao Paulo(GRU) flight right near our MIA-GRU flight:

bueNNNNOOSS diAAASS (Manuas/Brasila/Sau Paulo) Center, Delta 1234 is checkin' on wit' ya' at FLXYZ, getting a little light ripples here, do you have any ride reports down da' road?" The response was usually silence until the third try.

I think it's "Bom Dia" not Buenos Dias ;)

Then there was another large airline based in TX, not DFW :D, who called Bogota Center "baGOTTA Control" every time.

Always a laugh with newbies. :laugh:

Where does the 162 miles come from? Is it an Ops spec that gives relief from FAR 121.339?

FAR 121.339 requires a life raft for "extended overwater operations".

Extended over-water operation means--
(1) With respect to aircraft other than helicopters, an operation over water at a horizontal distance of more than 50 nautical miles from the nearest shoreline;

OPSPEC A013 Extended overwater turbojet operations without required emergency equipment.

Gen Lee will post u guys will take years to learn to fly intl., yet all DCI carriers learn to do intl. in the 3 months notice DL gives them. Over water does not take long

CRXpilot is correct. You are in radar contact all the way to SJU, and that means the SWA 737-300s won't get totally lost out there. I am pretty sure the SWA guys will get the hang of it fairly quick, and the controllers all speak English, which will make it easier.

Bye Bye--General Lee

At least it seems Delta has now learned how to land at the correct airport in Florida after messing it up.....twice!!

CRXpilot is correct. You are in radar contact all the way to SJU, and that means the SWA 737-300s won't get totally lost out there. I am pretty sure the SWA guys will get the hang of it fairly quick, and the controllers all speak English, which will make it easier.

Bye Bye--General Lee

But will the SWA pilots freak out when they look down and not see land below them? That blue stuff is ocean... And please don't land in Cuba.

Just joking...

Where does the 162 miles come from?

My understanding is that the 162 mile restriction has something to do with Class I and Class II navigation...less than 162NM from a nav aid is Class I.

I think it has to do with rafts and life preservers. we still don't have rafts but added some under the seat yellow life preservers and now we can go to 162. our navigation has been the same.

Latest resources

Back