Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest slam clicks- c'mon captains....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sorry, but I've never seen the appeal of hanging out with the people I've just been locked in an aluminum tube with for 8 hours. If that's considered mandatory at SWA, just one more reason I'm glad to get out.

Seriously? That's pretty sad.

I also recall you had no problem hanging out after "work" at the Union office with people you just spent 8 hours locked in an airless office with.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I don't drink. Hanging out in bars is not my idea of a good time. Am I still expected to go down and buy some pilots some drinks? Sounds like an alcoholic culture at SWA to me.

Hey Charter...I don't drink that much...there is this thing called water that they serve. It's actually quite good and I can still take care of my crew and grab a bite to eat. Takes a little self control but think I can manage.

Doing what to them? Is this a camping story?

Welcome back, sorry you're not any happier than you were four years ago. :D

There's goan be some drinkin', maybe a little fightin', and definitely some ********************in'.

Great! Who's gonna be there?

Why just you and me!

PCL, you've been trying to damn the culture for your alpa overlords since you got bought. AND I would absolutely buy the bourbon. I just think in your situation, so visible in the union, it would be hard to steer the conversation away from work- which is rule #1- don't talk about work:)

Orangebelly- you're trolling, just like PCL, but in case you're remotely serious- I'm buying every AT pilot I see drinks-
I see no value in holding grudges like a baby. It's done. I want them to be included along with everyone else. If you showed that attitude, you would be the one called out for it by 90% of original SWA -
But I'll get your tab too. Don't worry.
It's not alcoholic, it's social, about connecting with people, having some fun, and ultimately genuine

I'll paraphrase Torti's line. Show up to work and don't even worry about you. Take care of everyone you see. You'll get way more than you give if that's your mentality.

Last edited:
Is he talking to the captains that didn't by him a drink?

No, I rarely let my captains get a tab- I have it, so I get it- and I like doing that too- Some captains have been buying rounds for 2 decades, so it's a cool thing to get one for them. We just have a lot of probies flying around and guys in the habit lately of slam clicking. I don't think they're usually trying to shun people- I think that we've had a couple rounds of stagnation, a lot of internal hires who are new but not necessarily new, so pilots just got in the habit of not making the effort.
Ultimately that hurts us

This is such an odd thread. I'm not at SWA but I am a 85% slam-click captain. I didn't realize I could be so missed. Actually, on most overnights I'm usually not holed up in my room. Mostly, I roam the cities alone. Flight crews these days are a drag. It's all chain restaurants, schedule talk, and gossip about the same group of disliked coworkers. Once in a blue moon I'll fly with an open minded FO and we rip it up. Otherwise, airline culture stopped being worth my time 10 years ago.

Latest resources

Back