Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Pilottodd2

Greetings and Happy Holidays to all.
This is my first port on this web, but I have been reading the posts here for some time and am quite impressed with the collective knowledge here. So, with that in mind, I have a few questions about Southwest if anyone that works there can answer for me.

Background: 4700 Total, 1600 PIC Turbine (CRJ), and HPA B-737 Type rating (Graduated 12/19/04), 4-Year Bachelors (Mechanical Engineering), and no violations both inside and out of avaition.

Obviously I am hoping to get 'The Call' soon and ultimately get hired. So, can anyone answer these questions...
1. Am I competitive? Or do I need 1800 PIC, period?
2. Just found out we age going to have a Baby! (Actually found out 4 days before my B-737 checkride). What is SWA policy about health insurance? Does it start on day 1 of new-Hire? Is a pregnancy considered a 'prior condition'and therefore not covered?
3. Will SWA allow me to have some time off (not including Family Leave) for the birth assuming I am a new hire?
4. Since I live in Minneapolis, MN (Super Cold!), I will need to commute back, since SWA does not fly there, will there be any nonrev priviledges with ATA?

Thanks!

Pilottodd,

Merry Christmas...

Hope this helps:

1. Yes you are competitive...keep adding to the PIC time.....achieve that next step if it is in your future, training CA or Check Airman but even without those you're competitive.

2. I pretty sure you are covered from day 1. Your situation isn't abnormal at all.

3. Scheduling will work with you to get time off if needed to be with family...way far out in the future....if you haven't been called for an interview yet you may not be on property in time to have this be a factor but one never knows...hopefully it will be a dilemma for you!!!

4. Jumpseating on ATA is unlimited & vice versa...great folks & we reciprocate. We have multiple jumpseats with AA also now & about 6 other carriers that do so in turn. We have generally good relations (only improving thanks to the jumpseat coordinator at SWA...attaboys to them...& to the folks at the other carriers)

Hope that helps,

So what is currently competative at SWA. I know I am not there yet, but how far off am I looking with the following:

3100TT, 1100 BE-1900 PIC, Training Department - Ground School Instructor, type rating to come in spring (just waiting for the vacation time to be available).

Thanks

Welcome aboard PilotTodd2

PT2,

You and I are very close in time and quals. Currently at about 1950 Turb PIC. So far I've heard nothing from SWA yet but I'm always optimistically waiting. I do need to hear from them soon as I will be 50 years old in 2005.

`Chase' has always steered anyone with questions here on this web site quite straight. He is helpful and always cheerleading for the SWA team and has helped me several times with my questions. I'm sure he has answered the questions you've asked here very well.

Good luck and God's Speed in your Southwest Airlines quest! There is no question that SWA is the best!

:D P3 Tweek & CE-560E driver

Last edited:
NE Dude,

We have hired pilots with your quals the competitive environment these days would put you at the lower end of getting called for an interview...of course I will be proved wrong & the phone will ring in Jan for a Feb interview:) !!!! You're doing what you need to do, getting PIC hrs & doing the training CA thing...I'd continue working at your current job until the 1500-2000 PIC range & then start looking at getting some jet time possibly...yes we have hired folks without jet time & just BE1900 time...all good guys....so again the cookie cutter approach doesn't apply at SWA...we're all a little different looking (thank goodness since I'm not exactly easy on the eyes)...hang in there and keep the faith, keep flying & you're doing the right thing about getting your type....just wondering, where are you getting it?
p.s. P3 I'll send you the $20 I owe you:) ...thanks for the kind words...there are a lot of straight shooters on here fortunately

Thanks Chase for the info. I think we actually met at HPA around 12/7 or 12/8. Weren't you there to talk to all of us?

Anyways, it would be good if I could proceed to the next step and get check airman. However, here at Pinnacle airlines, we are EXTREMELY short on Check Airmen, and I have been on the chief pilot for over a year now to become one. Upper management keeps on pushing it all back.

As far as the Non-Reving on ATA, I was referring to my wife being able to ride on ATA from MSP to OAK, MDW, or wherever I end up at, for the mean time, at least. MCO would be home and we both plan on moving there as soon as I can hold it.

Thanks again for the info and Happy Holidays!

Chase,

Leaning towards HPA for the type, but nothing set in stone yet. We have had three guys go to SWA from my company this year, all 1900 drivers. All three got their types at different places. We have one more in the pool, and another awaiting the next DB. And I know of several other guys who went from the 1900 to SWA, so I know it can be done.

Heard lots of great things about HPA, and K&S as well. In the end though, it will probably come down to price and who has class openings when I can get the vacation time. I have heard that it doesn't matter where you get it, and of the six guys from my comany that either interviewed or went to SWA from my company this year (the sixth guy didn't get the job), there are four different type rating schools. So from what I have seen in practice seems to back up what I have heard - it doesn't matter where you get the type rating. Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

As far as the baby. CONGRATS!! One the first day of SWA we were covered by insurance. Greg Crum walked up to my 7 month pregnant wife and told her "he will be there for the birth, dont worry" After my FIRST leg of IOE, I found out my wife was going into labor, a month early. I made it home with time to spare. 100% support form the company. Even got a present from Colleen.

Keep the faith!

Latest resources

Back