Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
hey... you stole my avitar!

More than hours

One thing worth noting: based on what SWA People Dept people say and from my own experience it seems clear that SWA looks beyond just hours. Just like Chase said, SWA definitely does not use a cookie-cutter approach. Rebekah Krone specifically said on several occasions they look for things you did to stand out beyond just flying, such as being a check airman, etc. In my case I am certain being a NATOPS checker, Safety Officer, and CRM guy (my aplogies to non-Navy guys for all the acronyms) helped me out immensely, as I did not at the time I got called have even 1800 PIC.

So don't get discouraged and assume your hours aren't competitve, and look for ways to round out your resume. I was told by a SWA guy at an AirInc time waste-ex that my times weren't competitve yet then got the call 3 weeks later. So you never know.

Good luck.

From pilottodd2:
4. Since I live in Minneapolis, MN (Super Cold!), I will need to commute back, since SWA does not fly there, will there be any nonrev priviledges with ATA?

You better find out about the commute from MSP to OAK. ATA won't help much on this route. All new pilots are getting OAK right now. OAK can be a difficult commute with the west coast time issues.

Pilottodd 2

The only question I can answer is regarding health insurance (in MN). With group coverage (which is what you would get through SWA since it is an employer sponsored group) your pregnancy will be covered by law (in MN anyway)
According to state insurance laws pregnancy can only be considered pre existing on a individual plan but NOT on a group plan, so make sure you do sign up for their coverage.

If you do not have a job by the time your baby arrives (and therefore no group health insurance) you can apply to MNCare/Medical assistance. It is a state program that cover preganancy (among other things) for families who can not get insurace through an employer or who does not have coverage on their own that WILL COVER the pregnancy. MNCare will also pay for any expenses that go back up to six months into the pregnancy.

Hope this helps and let me know if you need further help with this

Jimmy

All new pilots are getting OAK right now. OAK can be a difficult commute with the west coast time issues.

That historically has been the norm, but I wouldn't count on it. There are alot of folks stuck on the Left Coast that will be moving to other bases as opening occur meaning some new hires will have to go out there, but that is probably going to change shortly. With 33% growth at MDW, a new terminal opening at BWI and HOU and a very high likelyhood of a hugh expansion at PHL in the next year, things will probably shift that way. I would bet in the next few months all new hires will be going to MDW or BWI. Just a guess, but the trend sure seems to indicate that staffing will be need in the east sooner than the west. SWA seems to be taking over the world one city at a time and I bet that if we are lucky all of us will work there someday or be out of the flying business all together.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back