• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Eagle757shark

Southwest plans Mexico codeshare
Monday November 10, 11:42 am ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Southwest Airlines Co (NYSE:LUV - News), the U.S. No. 1 domestic carrier, is to start a codeshare partnership with Mexican airline Volaris, extending the U.S. airline's plan to access international markets.
Southwest, which is in the process of forging a similar partnership with Canada's WestJet Airlines (Toronto:WJA.TO - News), said flight schedules and details of the codeshare would be hammered out by early 2010.
Under a codeshare, airlines can sell tickets on each others' planes, reaching new customers while saving money on marketing.
Dallas-based Southwest, which invented the low-cost airline model 37 years ago, serves only U.S. destinations, but is looking to expand its network even as rivals cut capacity in the face of volatile oil prices.
Volaris, founded in 2006, flies single-aisle Airbus (Paris:EAD.PA - News) jets between 23 cities in Mexico. [SIZE=-2] [/SIZE]

This is a joke! WestJet ok but Volaris??? Southwest pilots should be flying this stuff. Shipping jobs south and north of the boarder. Either SWA is in big trouble or they are just shipping jobs away to save a buck. Swapa needs to stand up for its pilots or it will become another worthless airline union. I am starting to think GK is going to just be another one of those worthless airline Ceo's. He made one shrewd move years ago that made him look smart and now he is scared to take anymore risk and risk losing his lofty reputation.

Is this really that hard to figure out?
We blaze a trail and learn the ins and outs of int'l flying on someone else's coat-tail, and then do it ourselves. It is VERY expensive to open up a city. I believe it's a cheap way to explore intl ops.
By the way, I am of firm belief that Gary would crash the 737 in the first 1min of flight - he's not a pilot. All pilots would run this company into the ground in the first week if we were CEO. He is doing his job, we are doing ours. He and Herb have NEVER yet given us a reason to believe that they don't have our best interests in mind.

Congrats guys! This will be a cash cow. I would think an RJ codeshare thru LGA, JFK or ATL(Critter) would be next.

He and Herb have NEVER yet given us a reason to believe that they don't have our best interests in mind.

Well "HE" aint Herb and the Westjet and Voltaris announcements are TWO reasons I don't think Gary gives a rats about you and me brother. You must remember "our" best interests are viewed very differently from the boardroom vs. the cockpit.

Gup

Well "HE" aint Herb and the Westjet and Voltaris announcements are TWO reasons I don't think Gary gives a rats about you and me brother. You must remember "our" best interests are viewed very differently from the boardroom vs. the cockpit.

Gup

How has Gary not lived up to his promise of "providing you a secure future for you and your family."

Yes I do drink the coolaid. But, pilots can barely manage their finances, why do they think they can run an airline?

HE definetly ain't herb. You and I are completly in agreement here. They are damn near polar opposites. HE dresses up on Halloween, but there are 364 other days that HE can hold a flame to Herb. However, I don't have a reason not to trust HIM yet.

You could be right, and I could be retarded.

Wow… Let me first say AS is no WN but look what are knuckle head management did. Went into Mexico hard in the late 80’s and now flies more domestic traffic to Mexico then any other airline. Got Etops certified and is now serving every major city in HI with load factors darn near 100%. If our managers can do this then to me that means only one thing you guys are getting screwed because it’s cheaper to use someone else. Don’t confuse Mexico with international or the outsourcing of your jobs with blazing a trail… it isn’t hard not if we did it! But hey sit back relax enjoy the ride its only a 50 seat RJ what will it hurt GK and you guys are family right!

Latest resources

Back