Southwest Pilots Aggressively Push Age 65

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SWA/FO said:
Just think, some of you guys will have 5 extra years to try and get a job at Southwest Airlines. If that chaps your a$$ you'll have 5 more years to get a real freight job.

Some might still have the same outcome, cus your tools and some might get on like the SWA/FO did. I can't speak for the real freight jobs out there.... where the real money and real pilots work.

Why don't you go out and get some exercise, maybe get a girlfriend or wife that's under 300 this time.

You know, outside, away from the computer where you have a habit of making yourself look like an as$hole.

SWA/FO said:
Just think, some of you guys will have 5 extra years to try and get a job at Southwest Airlines. If that chaps your a$$ you'll have 5 more years to get a real freight job.

SWA/FO,

You still didn't answer my question. I know I can apply at other carriers and I just might because of this stupid rule.

Why does your pilot group insist on flying to age 65? Instead of subjecting the rest of us to your whims, why not insist and negotiate a real retirement from Southwest. We keep hearing how great the company is doing, yet you have no real retirement. To tell you the truth, it’s sad.

Again, why cannot the pilots negotiate an adequate retirement from the company? Is the union that weak? I can almost understand the United guys, but Southwest, it just doesn't make any sense.

AA767AV8TOR

zonker said:
Why don't you go out and get some exercise, maybe get a girlfriend or wife that's under 300 this time.

You know, outside, away from the computer where you have a habit of making yourself look like an as$hole.

Don't worry, karma has a way of coming around and biting you on the a$$ when you least expect it.

AA767AV8TOR said:
SWA/FO,

Again, why cannot the pilots negotiate an adequate retirement from the company? Is the union that weak? I can almost understand the United guys, but Southwest, it just doesn't make any sense.

AA767AV8TOR

Are you serious? You would actually advocate SWA adopting a defined benefit plan at this point? Read the papers... that dinosaur is DEAD. SWA's business model includes more than one "retirement plan" for the employees, do some research. Don't wish Delta's fate on the SWA pilot group.

I think he means more of a "B" plan. That's money that is yours to keep and protected (from what I hear).

SWA/FO said:

Some might still have the same outcome, cus your tools and some might get on like the SWA/FO did. I can't speak for the real freight jobs out there.... where the real money and real pilots work.

Our retirement is very secure at SWA, How is yours? What is yours?????? I do not support the age 65 rule but I do agree with it to a certain extent. I believe there should be no retirement age. YOu quit when you can't pass the medical. This would make alot retire earlier than 60 ( for a real medical) some later. SWA has always had a sound retirement. Turns out it is better than the one you boast about. The problem is we can't touch our 401 or medicare until well after we are retired. We have no A plan (most of you don't as well). So to bridge the gap some are asking for mandatory retirement relief. Personally, I'm not but I understand why others do. Why don't you ask for better retirements or more pay? Answer your own freaking question. Tell us what you, AA 767 and Flpgut, have done lately to better your pay and bennies.

Last edited:
Bake, you are missing the point? A 401k and profit sharing do not comprise a retirement plan in the parlance of airline careers (yes, jb doesn't have a retirement either).

Your match is no more secure than ours. And profit sharing can (I said can...) be unreliable. Now I fully expect SWA F/O to weigh in on this. SO while we all wait with bated breath in anticipation of complete arrogance and bravado, here's my take on what he will post:

"Southwest is the BEST! WE GOT THE LUV BABY! Jesus flew Southwest. Southwest invented oxygen. Southwest is a fine substitute for french fries if you are trying to lose some weight. I'd marry Southwest, but I am already engaged to flightinfo.com."

I'm sorry, why isn't a 401 and profit sharing a retirement plan? I fail to understand how GUARANTEED MONEY is not in my future. How is a Defined Benefit guaranteed retirement plan for you. Hence the word PLAN.

I 100% agree with "LUVIN LIFE". and SWA pilot group to go 65.
Why should we let foreign pilots fly in our airspace up to 65 but we can't?

Latest resources

Back