• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
IB-
Were you flying Denver that night?
You familiar with that intersection?

You do know that it's an inclined 45 degree turn that requires a good amount of power regardless of conditions- it's also pretty isolated and there were fair-poor braking reports from crews landing on recently plowed runways- so how much better do you think it was at the intersection of P7 & ED, going uphill, and turning?

But you're totally familiar, right?

IB-

You do know that it's an inclined 45 degree turn that requires a good amount of power regardless of conditions- it's also pretty isolated and there were fair-poor braking reports from crews landing on recently plowed runways- so how much better do you think it was at the intersection of P7 & ED, going uphill, and turning?

Probably not. Just one of the usual haters and pile-on toadies. Southwest could have a plane taxi into an invisible pothole at 2 kts, and all we'd hear about is Southwest taxi speeds. Hell, a parked plane on an overnight could get hit by a friggin' meteor, and somehow it would be related to Southwest taxi speeds. Facts are not required here, Wave. You should know that. This is FI.

Bubba

IB-

I am intimately familiar with that intersection in ALL weather conditions. I was based in DEN for 6+ years. Never had a problem. But, then again, I don't taxi like a bat out of hell under ANY conditions.

The quoted statement leads me to believe it is the writer who is unfamiliar with that particular intersection. I don't recall needing power until well after the intersection and going up the hill on ED. What I DO remember is that P7 is a long straightaway and that you have to consciously slow down to make the turn under good conditions and, be dead-slow under icy conditions.

But what do I know? I wasn't there. Therefore, it could not POSSIBLY have ANYTHING to do with excessive taxi speeds - for which SWA is infamous.

The denial and justification of certain posters would seem to strengthen that characterization.

Probably not. Just one of the usual haters and pile-on toadies. Southwest could have a plane taxi into an invisible pothole at 2 kts, and all we'd hear about is Southwest taxi speeds. Hell, a parked plane on an overnight could get hit by a friggin' meteor, and somehow it would be related to Southwest taxi speeds. Facts are not required here, Wave. You should know that. This is FI.

Bubba

Someone's a little cranky tonight.

"................high....,NHL.........

lets see, CATIII to 35R, less than 1/4NM vis, SNBR, I think they were taxiing pretty slow...

I would think you are quit correct, anything can happen to any of us and totally wrong to judge fellow airmen without knowing the circumstances.......that said, there is a very valid reason why, when SWA has this type of incident that pilots will raise the point that SWA does have more than it's fair share of pilots that taxi like Mario Andretti wannabes and come off as less professional than other airline pilots.

....... SWA does have more than it's fair share of pilots that taxi like Mario Andretti wannabes and come off as less professional than other airline pilots.

That's why I purposely taxi slow anytime I'm around another airline, I wouldn't want to Make you nervous. Just don't complain when you have to wait for me to pass by at 5 knots, I'm just being safe.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back