Southwest, New Crew Base announcment

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
737tanker said:
Since SWA only flies 737s I think there is a good chance it will be a 737 base.

On a serious note the SWAPA VP on another forum said that TPA still looks to be the top choice. However SWAPA is still running the numbers among four choices and will make a recommendation to SWA next week. The SWAPA choices are TPA, LAS, BNA, and MCI.

As a SWA wanna-be, come on BNA!

I got a chance to briefly talk with Gary Kelley when he was visiting SMF for a grip 'n grin with the company folks last week. He said point blank that we needed to open a crew base next year, but gave no indication whatsoever where it would be or when an announcement was going to be made. He knows the anticipation level is running high over an announcement......

Just me reading the tea leaves and his body language/tone.....I don't think they've decided where the base is going to be yet. I don't think there is any clear-cut winner in this horse race. Knowing how the company is trying to save every last cent they can, I'd imagine Gary would like to make a choice that will save $ in the future....i.e., a choice that would in turn delay the need for another base opening as long as possible. With this in mind, the decision on where the next base will be may reflect where the company feels it's greatest growth will be in the coming years. The other wild card would be mini bases....some of the places now being discussed would also make good candidates for mini-bases, thus lowering their prospects of being full-blown bases...just my 2 cents....

The reality is we need 5 more crew bases. :)

I flew with a new flight attendant yesterday (yeah, that just destroyed any credibility!) and she said GK told their class the new base will be announced at the Spirit Party.

Now, why would they announce a new domicile at the Spirit Party in LAS if LAS wasn't the new domicile?

Not that I'm rooting for LAS. My vote is for MCI and BNA.

Alcatraz said:
I flew with a new flight attendant yesterday (yeah, that just destroyed any credibility!) and she said GK told their class the new base will be announced at the Spirit Party.

Now, why would they announce a new domicile at the Spirit Party in LAS if LAS wasn't the new domicile?

Not that I'm rooting for LAS. My vote is for MCI and BNA.

Just curious, but what the heck is a spirit party?

Its a meet and greet with beer, wild turkey, rides, dancing girls and food. There are 3 or so a year and they are all over the country. The last one was in STL. If you work for SWA....its free!! If you work for anybody else, you can't come.

Well, when will the announcement be made? :erm:

Latest resources

Back