• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest mulls move to 3rd major US airport

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not to mention it would be nice to actually make money?????

Because we all know that SW hasn't lost any money this year???

Southwest Airlines reports first quarterly loss in 17 years

Southwest Airlines posted its first quarterly loss in more than 17 years Thursday, after being hit by an accounting charge to reduce the value of its fuel hedging contracts.

The Dallas-based airline said it lost $120 million during the quarter, after having to record a $247 million charge to reflect the drop in value of its hedging contracts, which allow it to purchase jet fuel in advance at predetermined prices.
Under accounting rules, the airline is required to reduce the value of the contracts on the books if fuel prices are falling.

Not including the one-time charge, the airline reported a profit of $69 million for the third quarter, compared with a profit of $162 million in the same period a year ago.
Gary Kelly, the airline's chief executive, said the fuel contracts are still an overall benefit to the airline. He said they saved the carrier has saved $1.3 billion on fuel prices during the first three quarters of this year.
He also said that a decline in jet fuel prices is a positive development for the airline despite the accounting charges.
"I can assure you that falling energy prices is a great thing for Southwest Airlines," he said in a conference call with reporters Thursday morning. He noted that the airline still purchases some of its fuel at market prices.
Kelly said that revenues were strong during the quarter, up nearly 12 percent compared with the third quarter of 2007. But he said the airline is worried about how the slowing economy will impact demand for travel.
"We're very concerned about the economy, especially after the first of the year," he said. Bookings for the rest of the year "look fine," he said, "but certainly for next year, I'm not willing to make any predictions."
The airline stands to benefit, Kelly said, from moves by competitors to cut capacity. Other airlines are cutting the number of available seats by 15 percent in markets where they compete with Southwest.
"That's a very significant shock absorber for declining demand in this recession," he said.
He also pointed to Southwest's lack of fees on items like checked bags or reserved seats. The airline has been advertising heavily in recent months as the "no-fee" carrier.
"I'm very confident we are winning new customers," he said. Employees tell him of many cases "where customers say they are coming to us specifically because we aren't charging the baggage fees."

Because we all know that SW hasn't lost any money this year???

Southwest Airlines reports first quarterly loss in 17 years

Southwest Airlines posted its first quarterly loss in more than 17 years Thursday, after being hit by an accounting charge to reduce the value of its fuel hedging contracts.

The Dallas-based airline said it lost $120 million during the quarter, after having to record a $247 million charge to reflect the drop in value of its hedging contracts, which allow it to purchase jet fuel in advance at predetermined prices.
Under accounting rules, the airline is required to reduce the value of the contracts on the books if fuel prices are falling.

Not including the one-time charge, the airline reported a profit of $69 million for the third quarter, compared with a profit of $162 million in the same period a year ago.
Gary Kelly, the airline's chief executive, said the fuel contracts are still an overall benefit to the airline. He said they saved the carrier has saved $1.3 billion on fuel prices during the first three quarters of this year.
He also said that a decline in jet fuel prices is a positive development for the airline despite the accounting charges.
"I can assure you that falling energy prices is a great thing for Southwest Airlines," he said in a conference call with reporters Thursday morning. He noted that the airline still purchases some of its fuel at market prices.
Kelly said that revenues were strong during the quarter, up nearly 12 percent compared with the third quarter of 2007. But he said the airline is worried about how the slowing economy will impact demand for travel.
"We're very concerned about the economy, especially after the first of the year," he said. Bookings for the rest of the year "look fine," he said, "but certainly for next year, I'm not willing to make any predictions."
The airline stands to benefit, Kelly said, from moves by competitors to cut capacity. Other airlines are cutting the number of available seats by 15 percent in markets where they compete with Southwest.
"That's a very significant shock absorber for declining demand in this recession," he said.
He also pointed to Southwest's lack of fees on items like checked bags or reserved seats. The airline has been advertising heavily in recent months as the "no-fee" carrier.
"I'm very confident we are winning new customers," he said. Employees tell him of many cases "where customers say they are coming to us specifically because we aren't charging the baggage fees."

This coming from one of the biggest IDIOTS on Flight Info; maybe if you did a little research before you posted you wouldn't look like such an IDIOT all the time. Lets talk long term; past and future!

Last edited:
This coming from one of the biggest IDIOTS on Flight Info; maybe if you did a little research before you posted you wouldn't look like such an IDIOT all the time. Lets talk long term; past and future!

Hey moron. Unless you're totally out to lunch, or in another love fest with your girl bravodude:blush: , your world isn't too rosy! You got that app updated with Volaris and Westjet? Because it looks like that's where the bulk of your expansion is numbnuts! And at least that type you bought is paid for!:laugh:

Hey moron. Unless you're totally out to lunch, or in another love fest with your girl bravodude:blush: , your world isn't too rosy! You got that app updated with Volaris and Westjet? Because it looks like that's where the bulk of your expansion is numbnuts! And at least that type you bought is paid for!:laugh:

You continue to prove my point IDIOT! If you actually knew what you were talking about more people might be willing to listen. By the way, I didn't buy my type; you did:) the taxpayer! Thanks for the type A$$ho-e!

You continue to prove my point IDIOT! If you actually knew what you were talking about more people might be willing to listen. By the way, I didn't buy my type; you did:) the taxpayer! Thanks for the type A$$ho-e!

Hey dumbass, no problem. After all those years of scrubbing toilets and serving coffee to officers, that's the least the taxpayers could do.
What's the matter, you and bravodude have a lovers quarrell?:blush:
Now you can use that type to apply for that job at Westjet or Volaris! That seems to be the only expansion coming Southwest's way, junior!:laugh:

Last edited:
milpilot:

You guys took a Loss. I don't care how you took it. Its still a loss. Get over it.. and do better next quarter or you WILL get laughed at again on here.

this thread devolved pretty quick--

any of you military or delta pilots know more about Dobbins than i do? Could it be dual use in the near future?

milpilot:

You guys took a Loss. I don't care how you took it. Its still a loss. Get over it.. and do better next quarter or you WILL get laughed at again on here.

Yes we took a loss, but did we ask for paycuts NO, did we furlough No, So keep laughing all you want!

Latest resources

Back