Southwest looking to contain costs - article

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You guys are hilarious.

Furloughs coming? Still hiring and we've never hired to furlough like USair, et al.

Product sucks and can't compete? We've been competing for 40+ years and still make profits quarter after quarter.

Slots? We've received more and more, thanks to you guys.

Expensive '130' seat planes? Do some homework first will you? Most of our planes have 143 and are paid for......completely. So we are flying planes around that really don't cost anything. So, quite a ways from expensive. (and bonus, the -800's have 175 seats).

How's the hedge at USair? Oh wait, you never did hedge....ever.
I hear ya red. I was going to respond, but I couldn't stop laughing.
You have to wonder with his grammar if he's even old enough to drive...

We all love it when the mighty stumble. SWA may not be the nimble shark of years gone by but they are on stable footing. All this talk of cost control is nothing more than managing employee expectations. It's management vs labor business as usual. The only surprise is we're finally seeing happy-go-lucky SWA being put through the mill. And, everyone knows SWA bought AT because AirTran was wining. SWA had to buy them before AT got too big to contain. So some see this as long overdue justice.

SWA was the first airline in the US to embrace the idea that a seat is nothing more than a commodity. They masked this ugliness behind their culture of love but you can never completely paper over the truth. SWA's extraordinary fuel hedge of the early 2000's saved them from facing the music for a decade longer than the rest of the industry and gave them the money to buy their fiercest competitor. However, when your company lives by the idea that a seat is a commodity it forces you into a lot of ugly decisions. It's a race to the bottom at that point. And we all know who the winner is in this league of airlines: Spirit. Now, SWA has to decide between improving its product or lowering costs. Or, maybe they'll try to do both at once. But, I don't know how you can improve your passenger's experience when asking for employee concessions at the same time. Moving away from the seat as a commodity business model you realize that the airlines are a service industry powered by human labor. It's going to be interesting to watch how Virgin America stacks up if they get those two gates at Love Field.

And Virgin Am made money when exactly?

If you don't think all the airlines consider the seat a commodity, then I have a bridge to sell you.

I'll even go so far to claim SWA hid the seat as a commodity with their great employee customer service which other airlines have had to step up and emulate.

Last in on time performance, last in baggage claims, yet lowest in customer complaints, and load factors North of 85%. How does that even begin to happen if not for the employees?

SWA needs to partner up with a regional airline. They would be unstoppable if the pilots allowed RJ's painted in blurple

Sad but true. Going to be hard pressed for SWA to declare to pilots they need codeshare when they just sold off their best opportunity to try the RJ gambit.

Sad but true. Going to be hard pressed for SWA to declare to pilots they need codeshare when they just sold off their best opportunity to try the RJ gambit.

You guys could go find some of your old 737-100s in corndog colors from the 70s/80s and reactivate them. Same overhead panel....

Latest resources

Back