• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest looking to contain costs - article

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SWA is yesterday's news. Furloughs coming. You heard it here first. There business product sucks and they can't compete with united American and delta. They have no valuable slots and expensive 130 seat airplanes.
No fuel hedge and the price of gas keeps going up.

SWA is yesterday's news. Furloughs coming. You heard it here first. There business product sucks and they can't compete with united American and delta. They have no valuable slots and expensive 130 seat airplanes.

I said it back when the merger was announced that it was going to be a disaster, all I got was insults! But I agree with you, I had a feeling that very rough waters were going to rock the LUV, and it sure looks like it's headed that way. So let's make the formal introductions shall we! SWA pilot group, let me introduce an airline management as the rest of the world knows it; airline management, let me introduce the Koolaid recovering addicts....!

SWA destroyed a great airline.

AT was a royal pain in Delta's ass in ATL for over a decade in part because AT had an affordable business class, flew many destinations non-stop not to mention they had new airplanes with relatively young crews at the same time Delta was flying clapped out MDs, 75's and 76's with miserable old crews who had been through a bankruptcy.

You screwed the pooch SWA, particularly in ATL.

At Midway Airport here on Jan. 2, Southwest Airlines Co. canceled a third of its flights, lost 7,500 bags and, at one point, had 66 aircraft on the ground?about twice as many as the carrier has gates. Passengers were stuck on the tarmac late into the night.

This isn't any big deal as DAL had 11,000 bags missing in ATL on just one day the following week due to winter weather and our flight was one of countless flights who waited two hours in ATL to get a gate on the night of the 01/07. Weather happens.

Dear SWAPA: Welcome to the Airline Industry

04 APR 2014

Fellow Pilots,

I want to take a few minutes of your time and update you on some items that have our full attention here at SWAPA. We've made it clear that SWAPA is seeking negotiated improvements in Retirement, Reserve and Compensation (RRC). Our Negotiating Committee has also made it clear to the Company that our numerous accommodations (-800 flying, codeshare with AirTran, etc.) have given Southwest Airlines the ability to enjoy record profits and a ROIC better than we have seen in 13 years. We expect to share in the financial success of our Company. Last week, we received a comprehensive economic proposal from the Company's negotiating team and their proposal included:

• Language that alters our current Codeshare agreement
  • The introduction of a Preferential Bidding System (PBS)
  • Minimal improvements to our Reserve System
  • No improvements to our Retirement Program
  • Sub-COLA pay raises
  • Dozens of cuts to existing work rules

I can't begin to tell you how regressive I feel this latest Company offer is to our Pilot group. Next week, we will be holding a special Board of Directors meeting in Dallas with your Domicile Representatives. The purpose of this meeting is to specifically detail and discuss this economic proposal and solidify our next steps in the negotiation process.

Your growing frustration with the slow pace of negotiations is not only felt by your SWAPA leadership; national media is also beginning to notice the labor unrest that is threatening our Culture here at Southwest Airlines. This week, you may have read articles about Southwest labor negotiations in Bloomberg News and The Wall Street Journal. In the case of the Wall Street Journal, we sat down with their writer for a lengthy discussion, and also had a follow up phone call a few days ago. I'm not necessarily happy that the only quote that was printed after all of the time spent with them was the single word "frustrated," but it does underscore the general feeling of many SWA labor groups. I feel encouraged that this side of the story is being heard on a national level. Also this week, SWAPA had a meeting with another top-ten Southwest Airlines institutional investor and heard their mantra of "Southwest continues to leave revenue on the table." We also declared our continued desire for the growth of our airline and pointed to our industry-leading Pilot productivity.

From Monday, April 7th until April 21st, SWAPA will hold a voting referendum regarding a Constitutional change, and we ask that you please take the time to vote at SWAPA.org. Quite simply, the change to the Constitutional language better insures that we will be able to provide optimal representation to the Pilots on the AirTran side of the partition as SWAPA Pilots after the National Mediation Board (NMB) assigns SWAPA as the sole bargaining agent for these pilots. Vice President JD Stewart has an excellent article in the March Reporting Point that outlines the proposed change, and you can also get further information at SWAPA.org.

In the meantime please remain focused, professional and fly safe.​

You guys are hilarious.

Furloughs coming? Still hiring and we've never hired to furlough like USair, et al.

Product sucks and can't compete? We've been competing for 40+ years and still make profits quarter after quarter.

Slots? We've received more and more, thanks to you guys.

Expensive '130' seat planes? Do some homework first will you? Most of our planes have 143 and are paid for......completely. So we are flying planes around that really don't cost anything. So, quite a ways from expensive. (and bonus, the -800's have 175 seats).

How's the hedge at USair? Oh wait, you never did hedge....ever.

From Monday, April 7th until April 21st, SWAPA will hold a voting referendum regarding a Constitutional change, and we ask that you please take the time to vote at SWAPA.org. Quite simply, the change to the Constitutional language better insures that we will be able to provide optimal representation to the Pilots on the AirTran side of the partition as SWAPA Pilots after the National Mediation Board (NMB) assigns SWAPA as the sole bargaining agent for these pilots. Vice President JD Stewart has an excellent article in the March Reporting Point that outlines the proposed change, and you can also get further information at SWAPA.org.
Anyone willing to share a login? Thx.

You're not really this dumb, are you?

Seriously?

Bubba

Latest resources

Back