• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest looking to contain costs - article

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ty, why do you waste time on this forum? I think u enjoy the acrimony, and you, like the SW posters feel the need to defend your soon to be former airline and the way of life it brought you and your family...Tripower, like u has, every right to engage on here, and unlike almost all your post he does not stoop to personal attack to prove a point...

AirTran didn't bring airplanes, DL got them....certainly not their idea but that is the reality

That happened after the fact. The 717s were all planned to be integrated when the SLI was being done. It was many months later when the announcement came that Gary reached a deal with Delta. And you're also forgetting our 737 fleet and the many dozens of scheduled deliveries that we brought to the table.

That sounds like a technicality, a point, though correct, does not reflect how things turned out, and we had plenty of delivery options also...now we are buying used -700s and The Max in 2017...truly the AAI pilots brought international, Atlanta and a good product to the deal, but not seats....and I will acknowledge SWA is busy bringing your product down to our level...

Sorry, but it's completely asinine to claim that we didn't bring seats to the merger when we were bringing around 140 airplanes when the SLI was taking place.

AirTran didn't bring airplanes, DL got them....certainly not their idea but that is the reality

You are full of ********************! We had over 60 firm orders for 737's on the cheap the SWA has already exercised some of. Most if not all convertible to 800's. You have no Idea what you are talking about. Not to mention the 55 700's on property right now. By the way we did bring 717's. You management paid DAL to take them, not us.

But where are the seats?

They were all here when the SLI took place. Business decisions that take place post-SLI have nothing to do with it.

As for "proof" I can only go by what I've been told by folks in the GO, and by personal experience.

I have personally flown with (at least) 5 or 6 FOs that were former FAT (pre acquisition). I'm betting that I haven't flown with every guy that came over from AT before the acquisition, but even if I have, that's still 5 or 6 more than left SW to go to AT.

None of them painted nearly as rosy a picture of day to day life at AT as the usual FI suspects do and were much happier here, well, at least until the acquisition announcement. Most of the FFAT guys I've flown with since would've all done better, seniority wise, had they stayed at AT.

It's amazing how much better AT was....... after the acquisition announcement............

It's equally disturbing how much crappier SWA has turned out to be. For those who got to experience the good old days. I'm jealous.

27, your primary airplane, the 717 was sold to DL, you had 50ish 737s, and you had orders, as did SWA, SWA also had 10 times the number of 737s AT had....the deal netted very few seats....but it did net 1700 FAT...this is not a who was better than who, you came from a smaller airline and the majority of the seats went elsewhere...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back