Southwest looking to contain costs - article

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So.....anyway....

How are things on the air tran side lately?

I've drawn down one fleet type and opened a base

I'd rather not do anything like that again. To that end, yes, air tran will have earned those few months off -
Probably not break even though vs line holders if it's as weird and inefficient as my past experiences were

You can tell ATL that as far as I'm concerned. You won't find too many on this side that will stand to listen to any of this. It is what it is.

400k? I make half that as an FO and anyone that's a CA can make >400 if they want work their ass off. If that's not your gig, then the base salary is still impressive.

I'll admit their might not have been half the AirTran pilots trying to get on at SW, but the number was quite impressive. Many had tried 2-3 times already.

You said I was doubling my salary immediately. By my calculations, that may eventually happen thanks to my age and the devaluation of the dollar, sometime around 2035 or a little later, Lord willing. And, that could have happened at the Tranny as well. Our International could have continued growing while WN remained the largest domestic carrier.

BTW, if somebody brings it up and I respond, if they can't stand it, to bad. They can ask for me to be removed from the trip.

I love this idea that we'll have pilots in their 40's now that will never upgrade-
15-20+ years to go! but you guys all know that you'll never upgrade.

That was top FO pay by the way.

Which nobody came close to, because upgrade time was 3-5 years. That's now become 20 years. You guys love to miss that point. :rolleyes:

I didn't miss anything. I don't have it anymore because I just don't care, but what were 3-5 yr CA rates? Just realize there are just as many no make that more SWA pilots that aren't happy with the purchase either. Get over it move on. Or in your case out. To be delusional of the likelihood AAI was going to survive in today's environment. Well it's just ignorant. Wasn't it going about 7 yrs at time of purchase? Again not sure but I think that's what LEAR70 said on SWAPA forum.

Prior to the stagnation period that everyone hit in 08 it was 3-5 year upgrade. After 08 like everyone else it was 0 growth. IMHO it was the CEO that screwed that up. He was a bean counter. The previous CEO actually wanted to grow an airline. Sound familiar?

the 3 to 5 CA upgrades was pre 911?, the post 911 was 10 years todate

Incorrect. Upgrades were less than one year pre-9/11. It got up to 3 years later, and was around 6 at the time the merger was announced.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back