• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Line on Credit?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

He was talking about airline stocks in general, NOT Southwest Airlines in particular, which was the latest point in this thread. Nice misdirect though, Fred. How about if it is phrased this way: "According to Warren Buffet, airline stocks in general suck. According to Kiplinger's Best Investment Informant, Southwest Airlines' stock sucks the least [that is, is the best of the heap]."

Does that make you feel better?

By the way, this kind of misdirection is the reason Wave talks about "6 anonymous hardliners." You and Dicko and Fletch (and a few others) continually skew every single bit of industry information, good or bad, into "Southwest sucks, and AirTran is the best ever." Everything Southwest did or does is stupid and manifested incompetence, while everything AirTran did or does is perfection. From your stated perception, it's a wonder that Southwest didn't perish in its first decade, instead of becoming the most successful, most profitable airline in history. It's a wonder that AirTran isn't ruling the world with its paragon of air service, instead of being rife with employee discontent, and being shopped out by its CEO (and make no mistake, guys, you WERE shopped out...).

We get it. You're unhappy with the situation. I'm sorry you're upset that your AT Captain seat wasn't immediately replaced with a SW Captain seat. I'm sorry you're upset that you don't get our pay until you fly under our colors. I'm sorry you're upset that you didn't come over here with relative seniority or even straight DOH, when the list makers compared the career expectations of the two airlines. In fact, like a lot of guys, I'm sorry our company ever bought yours in the first place.

However, that wasn't up to me, anymore than it was up to you. Your CEO put you on the block, and our CEO wrote the check. Neither of us can change that now (or the SLI that resulted). From where I sit, your choices going forward basically boil down to: 1) accept what happened, do your best to improve our collective lot, and someday reap the rewards; or 2) continue whining anonymously, like that will change anything, and keep saying that AirTran was the best airline ever, while Southwest sucks. Do you think that anyone really believes that anyway?

Bubba

I agree. I'm an employee i guess, acquired not hired, all that BS and I always pull 100% for my new masters, like a good sled dog should. I buy about 200$ worth of LUV stock every paycheck, I'm betting long term and am actually going to increase my monthly withholding to purchase stock. I'm also going to support mgmt 100% to keep costs down, to include plans to play hardball with those whiny SWAPA pilots.
i really don't need the money, i'm just here to meet chicks.

I guess I was wrong; there is a third choice that you've seemingly elected. You can pretend that you're moving on and trying, while at the same time continuing to whine anonymously by using sarcasm. Sort of combining the first two choices. Good one, Fred!

Bubba

P.S. By the way, I gotta' say that the tagline under your profile's screen name is certainly descriptive!

Last edited:
He was talking about airline stocks in general, NOT Southwest Airlines in particular, which was the latest point in this thread. Nice misdirect though, Fred. How about if it is phrased this way: "According to Warren Buffet, airline stocks in general suck. According to Kiplinger's Best Investment Informant, Southwest Airlines' stock sucks the least [that is, is the best of the heap]."

Does that make you feel better?

By the way, this kind of misdirection is the reason Wave talks about "6 anonymous hardliners." You and Dicko and Fletch (and a few others) continually skew every single bit of industry information, good or bad, into "Southwest sucks, and AirTran is the best ever." Everything Southwest did or does is stupid and manifested incompetence, while everything AirTran did or does is perfection. From your stated perception, it's a wonder that Southwest didn't perish in its first decade, instead of becoming the most successful, most profitable airline in history. It's a wonder that AirTran isn't ruling the world with its paragon of air service, instead of being rife with employee discontent, and being shopped out by its CEO (and make no mistake, guys, you WERE shopped out...).

We get it. You're unhappy with the situation. I'm sorry you're upset that your AT Captain seat wasn't immediately replaced with a SW Captain seat. I'm sorry you're upset that you don't get our pay until you fly under our colors. I'm sorry you're upset that you didn't come over here with relative seniority or even straight DOH, when the list makers compared the career expectations of the two airlines. In fact, like a lot of guys, I'm sorry our company ever bought yours in the first place.

However, that wasn't up to me, anymore than it was up to you. Your CEO put you on the block, and our CEO wrote the check. Neither of us can change that now (or the SLI that resulted). From where I sit, your choices going forward basically boil down to: 1) accept what happened, do your best to improve our collective lot, and someday reap the rewards; or 2) continue whining anonymously, like that will change anything, and keep saying that AirTran was the best airline ever, while Southwest sucks. Do you think that anyone really believes that anyway?

Bubba

On the contrary. I have never said SW sucks. What I have said is that both SWAPA and SWA have not lived up to the spirit, if not the letter of the process agreement to the detriment of the groups going forward.
Numerous outside observers, completely unbiased, have agreed. If anyone comes on here and disagrees with you, waveflyer, redclown or any other SWAPA poster they get labeled as a SWA hater.

Airtran was a very nimble company, and could make changes in OPS in a matter of weeks. Southwest is like a supertanker, somebody yells down a pipe to the engine room and miles later the ship begins a slow turn. So be it. If I thought SW's demise was imminent, why would I be buying 500$/month worth of stock? Can you not read? but nice misdirection, as you put it.

I don't hate SW. I'm a stockholder. I hate the way SWAPA, and a few of the arrogant jackwagons that post on this board bash my former company, a company for all it's faults, I took great pride in working for and pulling 100% all the time for.

For a new hire or junior pilot, the career expectations at SW are probably less than most other major airlines. 20 years to upgrade isn't much of a career to look forward to.

In another merger, expect the other shoe to fall, you will be giving up years of
seniority because of the career stagnation. Or you will be stapled to the bottom,
of another list.

The arbitrator won't have to look very hard either, and your buddy GK will be on the beach with Horton and Lorenzo. Good Luck!

What goes around, comes around! and I'm sure you'll get a lot of sympathy.

49% thats all i have to say;)

P.S. By the way, I gotta' say that the tagline under your profile's screen name is certainly descriptive!

That tagline's been there long before this whole mess, but that's another story

What I have said is that both SWAPA and SWA have not lived up to the spirit, if not the letter of the process agreement to the detriment of the groups going forward.
Spirit? You want SWA and SWAPA to follow the spirit of the agreement? Where is that written? What subsection is spirit mentioned? Where was the "spirit" from the AT MEC when GK asked them to ensure all pilots had a vote on the first SLI?

That's where your spirit went.

Karma, its not just a pretty girls name.

You think those guys are hard liners? What does that make you, the voice of reason? Hate to tell you, Wave, but many of the 1200 or so guys coming over next year share similar views as the "hard liners". Ask someone who lost the seat, base, and aircraft they bid and were awarded about how great Southwest is.
i am actually. It is very reasonable to know that SWA is the better job and as the buying entity needs a good SLI weighted in our favor. Loyalty ought to mean something- working for the purchasing carrier ought to mean something in a capitalist society. And the junior at SWA didn't get that. We weren't shown loyalty for the loyalty we showed. We're living with it though. And aren't patient with complainers on the AT side when we're moving forward.

I hate to tell you this. I have 6500 on my side, I've placated this AT got screwed line for too long- nobody will be patient at all with it. And what about our pilots who lose their base when senior AT pilots move in base? I got guys in my class being force based all over the east- but keep thinking you're victims and only the AT issues matter

If another airline gets caught up in this mess I'd be willing to bet they take it all the way to arbitration. Who the hell would be stupid enough to accept a deal after watching what happened to us? Nobody.

and....(?) would you expect GK not to "act in the best interests of his employees going forward" ? They can try whatever they like- go ahead and game swa like you guys "tried" to do. That doesn't work for any individual employee or employee group here-

Last edited:
Spirit? You want SWA and SWAPA to follow the spirit of the agreement? Where is that written? What subsection is spirit mentioned? Where was the "spirit" from the AT MEC when GK asked them to ensure all pilots had a vote on the first SLI?

That's where your spirit went.

Karma, its not just a pretty girls name.

It's called "The Golden Rule," some people may call it the "Meeting of the
Minds," or the "Spirit of the Agreement."

It only works when you are dealing with people with integrity and a
reputation to uphold.

Southwest has shown their lack of integrity, and their reputation is forever tarnished.

Enjoy the ride down!

Your reputation sucks!

You have demonstrated a lack of integrity and without that you are
nothing!

Sorry Herb, that you had to witness this.

P.S. Southwest apps are now on file at Delta, USAir, United, American and even Spirit Airlines.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back