• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Goes Off Road'n In Chicago

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Scope is apparently forgetting that many people got their job at Southwest without ever paying for a type rating. Many got it from previous airlines.

Some did but most PAID FOR IT out of their own pocket. The facts. Some people hate to hear the facts.

For those that did actually work somewhere and earn a type rating and then use it to work at SWA >> bless you >> you did it the right way.

I paid $200 for an ATL crash pad during my month of training! Big deal. At least I had a spine and didn't spend $6,000 at Higher Power!!! Oh yeah, I got paid while getting my 737 Type! Who's the Chump?

I got paid $6000 while in training, plus a hotel room..... I think U R the Chump. Plus, I've made more money then you every year since I have been at Southwest. I didn't have to worry "if my Company would survive a bankruptcy filing"... I didn't have to worry about being
F U R L O U G H E D*.
I didn't have to get my medical CORBA handout from my Union. I never had to say to my Family, not now Daddy is not sure if he will have a job next week, sorry. I didn't nor do I have to ever claim the General or the clown O Y 6 as one of my co-workers. Stability.

*One doesn't make much money when they are furloughed. :cartman:

You Delta boys are quite amusing, in a very pathetic way!!! Laughter is a great stress reliever, and you all are doing a great job. Thanks.

BTW- I'm not a SWA guy. Looks like some Delta Sky Gods are feeling a little threatened.

These southwest clowns couldn't get hired anywhere else, so they bought their job where the interview didn't pay off (literally). LMAO!
Enjoy your day southwest dudes, you'll be happier when you're slinging gear for that Air Tran pilot who didn't have to BUY his job!

My response was not to joust with you over what you deem are semantics. Delta, to my knowledge, has had the single incident of the taxiway M landing. SWA, on the other hand, has had three over-runs, BUR, and the two at MDW.

The above information is factual. My observation of SWA crews taxiing at high rates of speed is based on my personal observations. You may confirm or deny it.

T8

Delta has....landed at the SAME wrong airport....twice ( D ont E ver L and T here A gain)

Attempted a zero-flap takeoff at DFW....(D idnt E ven L eave T he A irport)

Find an airline out there who hasn't had it's share of human factors screw-ups....they all have....

Some did but most PAID FOR IT out of their own pocket. The facts. Some people hate to hear the facts.

Never try to confuse him with facts. As for me I couldn't work for SWA because I didn't have $8k to buy a type rating to qualify for an INTERVIEW. So, technically they're correct when they say they didn't buy their jobs.

Jeeeezus. They actually allow some of you people to operate passenger aircraft!?!?! I actually feel stupider for reading this entire thread.

SWA today, your airline tomorrow.

Never try to confuse him with facts. As for me I couldn't work for SWA because I didn't have $8k to buy a type rating to qualify for an INTERVIEW. So, technically they're correct when they say they didn't buy their jobs.

A lot of folks interviewed without type, were offered a job/class date with type.

Many people over the years have "taken their stand" and not given into the requirement. At the end of the day, they went to work for some other airline, experienced furloughs, sub-pay, gave up seniority, had a bad work environment and gave up career earnings. They sure proved their point.

There was an instructor here, when I was a new hire; gave us the whole speech about buying a type etc....How he was not going to do it..... Well SWA gave him one when he was hired as an instructor and he spent his 5 years instructing before being hired to the line. He was happy - he did it his way. The way I see it, he gave up 5 years of seniority. He is still an FO. Great Job!

I didn't have to worry "if my Company would survive a bankruptcy filing"... I didn't have to worry about being
F U R L O U G H E D*.
I didn't have to get my medical CORBA handout from my Union. I never had to say to my Family, not now Daddy is not sure if he will have a job next week, sorry.

*One doesn't make much money when they are furloughed. :cartman:

Sounds an awful lot like what I said when I went to NJA with the backing of berkshire a few years back. The longer you are in this industry the more you realize that you have no idea what the future holds.
Rather than critisize other carriers for pay why not address that there is a possibility this might actually be a problem. How many more can go off runways before something changes? Is it purely coincidence this has happened a few times, runways, taxiways, whatever, its has not happened to anyone else at BUR or MDW from what I can remember.

Last edited:

Don't worry Fubi, they wouldn't have hired you anyway.

Latest resources

Back