SOUTHWEST dodges another date with fate...

firstthird

Total Time
nice 18 month old story that has nothing to do with the initial post. keep hate'n. I'm sure it is getting you far.

Avi8tor2000

Big Papa
Total Time
Lots
Nothing?? The same inspections that were being pencil-whipped because of an accident that happened prior to this incident (almost exactly identical to the other one, albeit less severe)? I wouldn't say nothing...

I'm not "hating" by any means but the rose-colored glasses that some at Southwest wear really need to come off when it deals with your safety in the workplace.

Minimaniac

Benevolent Dictator
Total Time
metal fatigue and cracking are very relevant. I read in one article that Southwest inspected its fleet overnight and gave itself a thumbs up... I don't believe that one night is enough time to check for fuselage metal fatigue in that many aircraft. Southwest aircraft rack up a lot of cycles, and some of their aircraft have been doing it for decades. Similar aircraft usage is what got the Aloha plane, and to see another 737 with a rupture in the upper fuselage leading to a rapid depressurization sure seems relevant to me.

dougdrvr

Total Time
Even from a cursory look at the news photos, it's pretty obvious that an antenna came off. So if you want to wildly speculate I'll submit that some one grabbed a handfull of screws from the wrong bin.

SpauldingSmails

Aboard the sloop.
Total Time
>7000
Regardless of the cause, the crew did an admirable job.

I wonder if there were any snarky PAs made by the FAs as the rubber jungle is deploying?

runwayjockey

Total Time
+6000
Nothing?? The same inspections that were being pencil-whipped because of an accident that happened prior to this incident (almost exactly identical to the other one, albeit less severe)? I wouldn't say nothing...

I'm not "hating" by any means but the rose-colored glasses that some at Southwest wear really need to come off when it deals with your safety in the workplace.

Looks like someone didn't get the call??????? At least your working for a safer airline now.

Skippy

Total Time
N/a
you get what you pay for-- after 30 bucks a leg, there's not much time/money for inspections or MX.

SKIPPY

starchkr

New Bus driver
Total Time
enough
metal fatigue and cracking are very relevant. I read in one article that Southwest inspected its fleet overnight and gave itself a thumbs up... I don't believe that one night is enough time to check for fuselage metal fatigue in that many aircraft. Southwest aircraft rack up a lot of cycles, and some of their aircraft have been doing it for decades. Similar aircraft usage is what got the Aloha plane, and to see another 737 with a rupture in the upper fuselage leading to a rapid depressurization sure seems relevant to me.

Glad everyone is alright...and kudos to the crew who did a great job dealing with the problem. However, i too read about the inspections...and it was mentioned by the PR guy/gal(i forget) that it was a visual inspection only. How detailed of a "visual inspection" they don't say, but just doing a walkaround and not seeing any cracks seems like it doesn't do anything relevant.

EatinRamen

Total Time
4500+
Bad week for SWA. Today, a SWA 737 inbound from STL made an emergency landing in MCO due to a "possible fire." Pax were evacuated on the runway. This is what the local media in Orlando is reporting.

apache

Total Time
Because it is Southwest, I'm assuming that no one would dare consider the possibility that some of their two-peso-an-hour taco benders pencil whipped one too many inspection south of the border.

No, of course we can't talk about it. That would be blasphemous to the new-age trinity. Nafta, political-correctness, and Southwest.

Just out of curiosity, are the logs pencil-whipped in Spanish when you outsource out of the country?

vixin

Total Time
We havent even received our first plane back from their yet. Yet another factless dribble of a post. Ever think of getting facts before you post? What a concept huh?

Floatplane

Total Time
14000+
Even from a cursory look at the news photos, it's pretty obvious that an antenna came off. So if you want to wildly speculate I'll submit that some one grabbed a handfull of screws from the wrong bin.

Guess again, there is not an antenna in that position on SWA aircraft. I'm guessing metal fatigue. The inspections performed on this aircraft are going to be under the microscope. The pilots did a great job with the situation they were handed.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Sout...0709685/&sid=f047d97c4c43665f6b1d72862c085604

http://www.airliners.net/search/pho...limit=15&sid=5940a829df8b3190cae93ae5d418b9da

Last edited:

WayBack

Total Time
Because it is Southwest, I'm assuming that no one would dare consider the possibility that some of their two-peso-an-hour taco benders pencil whipped one too many inspection south of the border.

No, of course we can't talk about it. That would be blasphemous to the new-age trinity. Nafta, political-correctness, and Southwest.

Just out of curiosity, are the logs pencil-whipped in Spanish when you outsource out of the country?
No one dare speak badly about SWA, because then your resume become null and void!

BeachBummer

Total Time
.71yrs
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...uthwest_07bus.ART.State.Edition2.1d31ae1.html

"When Southwest belatedly conducted the inspections, it found cracks in the bodies of six Boeing 737-300s, with the largest measuring 4 inches. Serious fractures can depressurize an aircraft and in 1988 caused an Aloha Airlines jet to rip apart, killing a flight attendant."

Let's keep putting off those inspections...

Those who live in glass houses s-s-s-sink sh-sh-sh-ships!
I don't care who you work for, you know you've either seen it, heard of it or done it. "It" being whatever you want it to be... We ride a fine line in this industry, lets try not to kill anyone on the ride.

Tailwinds

BB