Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SOUTHWEST dodges another date with fate...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
nice 18 month old story that has nothing to do with the initial post. keep hate'n. I'm sure it is getting you far.

Nothing?? The same inspections that were being pencil-whipped because of an accident that happened prior to this incident (almost exactly identical to the other one, albeit less severe)? I wouldn't say nothing...

I'm not "hating" by any means but the rose-colored glasses that some at Southwest wear really need to come off when it deals with your safety in the workplace.

metal fatigue and cracking are very relevant. I read in one article that Southwest inspected its fleet overnight and gave itself a thumbs up... I don't believe that one night is enough time to check for fuselage metal fatigue in that many aircraft. Southwest aircraft rack up a lot of cycles, and some of their aircraft have been doing it for decades. Similar aircraft usage is what got the Aloha plane, and to see another 737 with a rupture in the upper fuselage leading to a rapid depressurization sure seems relevant to me.

Even from a cursory look at the news photos, it's pretty obvious that an antenna came off. So if you want to wildly speculate I'll submit that some one grabbed a handfull of screws from the wrong bin.

Regardless of the cause, the crew did an admirable job.

I wonder if there were any snarky PAs made by the FAs as the rubber jungle is deploying?

Nothing?? The same inspections that were being pencil-whipped because of an accident that happened prior to this incident (almost exactly identical to the other one, albeit less severe)? I wouldn't say nothing...

I'm not "hating" by any means but the rose-colored glasses that some at Southwest wear really need to come off when it deals with your safety in the workplace.

Looks like someone didn't get the call??????? At least your working for a safer airline now.

you get what you pay for-- after 30 bucks a leg, there's not much time/money for inspections or MX.

SKIPPY

metal fatigue and cracking are very relevant. I read in one article that Southwest inspected its fleet overnight and gave itself a thumbs up... I don't believe that one night is enough time to check for fuselage metal fatigue in that many aircraft. Southwest aircraft rack up a lot of cycles, and some of their aircraft have been doing it for decades. Similar aircraft usage is what got the Aloha plane, and to see another 737 with a rupture in the upper fuselage leading to a rapid depressurization sure seems relevant to me.

Glad everyone is alright...and kudos to the crew who did a great job dealing with the problem. However, i too read about the inspections...and it was mentioned by the PR guy/gal(i forget) that it was a visual inspection only. How detailed of a "visual inspection" they don't say, but just doing a walkaround and not seeing any cracks seems like it doesn't do anything relevant.

Latest resources

Back