Southwest DIA, Frontier>DONE

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PCL_128 said:
I don't know why everyone seems to think that SWA's balance sheet is so superior to F9's. Southwest is going to lose money next year if fuel prices don't drop considerably. If fuel prices stay where they are now, then SWA is slated to lose $300 million next year according to most analysts. F9 has a great product and a good balance sheet. I wouldn't be too worried.

Ahhh... SWA will make money next year. Your numbers are simply picked out of the sky.

That said I think F9 has a great product and isn't going anywhere when we arrive in DEN.

The following assumption applies--load factors remain the same--the following statement:

A 1% fare increase would raise on average approximately $70m additional revenue annually. Therefore to cover a $300-500M increase in fuel costs fares would need to rise 3-5%. I've been told AA has had 70 fare raises in the last 18 months, of which 35 have held (timeframe maybe off slightly, my apologies)...that being the case most carriers have raised fares this year & those fares are sticking & revenues have increased...unfortunately these revenues have paid for higher fuel prices....our fare increases would do exactly the same "if" SWA chose to do that.

I believe that maybe the comment from one of our execs about more savings from the people side of the equation maybe tough has some merit & therefore that is why fares saw an increase this year, I believe 3 increases of $1-6 per selected segments based on mileage......can SWA be more efficient? You betcha & many initiatives are going forward to make that happen thank goodness but to say that fares "might" or "might not" rise to cover some of these costs....well, the smart folks in Dallas will do what they need to do to keep SWA in the black along with the help of the employees, I'm confident of that fact.

I'm very optimistic about SWA's future despite the potholes along the way...doesn't mean SWA or its employees can take anything for granted...we can't, listening to our customers, shareholders & employees will be the key to finding the solutions to the problems....fortunately those decisions are based off of predictions from public forums:rolleyes: !!!!!

BTW, good luck to those in DEN with F9 & UAL...I think the competition will be good for the citizens of the front range & there is certainly enough passengers to hopefully allow all to prosper!!!

Last edited:
This always seems to cause confusion, and my reading of the 10Q available on the website doesn't help my understanding either, but the following is what I can glean from the numbers with my limted knowledge of accounting:
3Q/2005 $
Income before taxes: 368mil
Income taxes: 141mil or 38.3% effective tax rate
Net Income: 227mil

or, with no hedge:
Income before taxes: 368mil
Hedge: 276mil
New income before taxes: 92mil

Take out federal taxes, but add back other items such as profit sharing loss, benefits and other fees and SWA's still in the black. A lesser hedged position in 2006 will mean less profit if revenues were to remain flat, but looking at the numbers as they exist now, even without any hedges, SWA would still eke out a profit never the less. One interesting set of numbers which includes the market value of the hedges is the asset portion of the filing which shows an increase from $2.156bil on 12/31/04 to $4.109bil on 9/30/05 or $428mil to $944mil for the hedge asset alone.

Adding the other quarters.
2Q/2005
296mil
97mil
159mil
or
296mil
196mil
100mil

1Q/2005 (Includes investment in ATA)
114mil
38mil
76mil
or
114mil
155mil
-41mil

First 3 Quarters 2005
778mil
276mil (to Uncle Sam)
502mil (to SWA)
or
778mil
627mil (saved due to hedging)
151mil (net income before taxes, no hedge)

PCL_128 said:
For those of you that doubt SWA's upcoming problems in the next few years, reference this article from last month:

Read it.:bomb: We're headed straight for the crapper, no need for anyone to worry about us.

To all of the good Southwest folks,

Welcome to Denver.

I have been watching this unfold, and finally felt compelled to add my .02.

For starters, as far as I know in 34 years Southwest hasn't put another airline out of business through direct competition. If I am wrong feel free to correct me.

Another point that was brought up is that Southwest is simply taking over ATA's 4 MDW flights, so no capacity is being added. It is simply changing the planes and crews doing the work. As for the other destinations, I cannot say.

Everybody seems to be screaming that the sky is falling because SWA is coming to Denver. Are we showing "Chicken Little" on the flights yet :)?

Anyway, that was my .02. Good luck when you get to the Mile High City.

Jetsi

Jetsi said:
Another point that was brought up is that Southwest is simply taking over ATA's 4 MDW flights, so no capacity is being added. It is simply changing the planes and crews doing the work. As for the other destinations, I cannot say.

I believe they added a total of 13 flights - LAS, PHX and MDW, not just MDW...not sure about this, and it doesn't really matter anyway...

T-Gates said:
Yes, it is a good stable place to work now. But you never know what the future might hold! How many 1999 hires at UAL thought they were set for life?

No flames here T-Gates. I think we all know that this could all end in the duration of our careers here, but most of us just get riled up at the ones out there that just can't wait to take a jab at Southwest. As big as this Airline is we still treat it as our own, and take all attacks a little personal, sometimes a little overboard, myself included. I have not heard from one Southwest pilot how they want us to go into DEN and put anybody out of business, but many on this board are not exactly giving us the key to the city. We do tend to tire of the "Buy your Type" "Cattle Call" "Greyhound" comments that are typed here unprovoked. I do agree with you T-Gates that this could very well be an airline that I will not get to retire at, but in the meantime I will do everything possible to ensure that I have done everything I can to see that Southwest is still there when I retire. I think we all believe that "The Rumors of our demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated".

Last edited:
The UAL newhires of the 90's were told to look around and see all the future millionaires around them. They thought they were the untouchables. I believe Southwest guys/gals know what can happen if they dont run their airline properly with everyone pulling their weight.
I dont think that SWA is trying to put anyone out of business; however, as a business, if you arent growing, you're dying. I hope SWA, Uni(ted) and Frontier can all prosper starting in January.

Latest resources

Back