• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest changing it's "stance" in ATL. HMMMMMM

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nope. He likes to stick his head in without acknowledging his own plight. His airline is kicking out expats, dumping planes, and at the same time falling more behind in the Gulf. He shouldn't put down any US carrier. It's more likely you don't understand what is going on in other places around the World because you are focused on INTRA Texas.

Bye Bye---General Lee

First of all, The world revolves around Texas.

That's true, but don't slam INTL flying if your airline doesn't offer it (long haul). So what if you did it 20 years ago in a C130, that's not the same. If your airline does have a choice, and you try both, then you can slam it if you didn't like it. Otherwise, you have zero experience and no credibility in the subject.

Bye Bye---General Lee

I did it for nine months for a legacy. I never looked forward going on a trip. The other guys on my trips, with few exceptions, would much rather stay domestic. (money, seniority, etc)

To each their own for certain. For me, I love the company I work for, the people I work with and the flying I do. Last year I averaged 3.1 legs a day. The turns can be busy but because of the type of people SWA hires it becomes more a social half hour with the FA's, ops agents, passengers, etc. The overnights, like international, some are better than others but on the norm very social. The hotel lounges get us and we treat them well. Better than well. Often times we are pulling tables together so it turns almost into a party.

General your imagination of how International flying is no different than how it may have been in the sixties and what the general public believes it can be like today. We all know people from other airlines and a twenty year Delta flight attendant friend says it is very rare for crews to hang out because everyone is so tired being on the backside of the clock. They just want to go home. Yes they will go out for a few hours maybe now and then but it is never a "Catch me if you can" moment. The pilots and FA's rarely hang together on an overnight. The average age of International crews is "old and tired." Its a lonely job. And loners are typically the ones that don't have a problem with that type of life.

If you think you would be happier being a Delta International pilot then maybe you would be. I can tell you that you would not be happy at SWA. A pilot at SWA who is a loner fits in like the square peg in a round hole. They tend not to be very comfortable standing out in what is not the norm around SWA.

Good luck with your imaginary job.

I did it for nine months for a legacy. I never looked forward going on a trip. The other guys on my trips, with few exceptions, would much rather stay domestic. (money, seniority, etc)

To each their own for certain. For me, I love the company I work for, the people I work with and the flying I do. Last year I averaged 3.1 legs a day. The turns can be busy but because of the type of people SWA hires it becomes more a social half hour with the FA's, ops agents, passengers, etc. The overnights, like international, some are better than others but on the norm very social. The hotel lounges get us and we treat them well. Better than well. Often times we are pulling tables together so it turns almost into a party.

General your imagination of how International flying is no different than how it may have been in the sixties and what the general public believes it can be like today. We all know people from other airlines and a twenty year Delta flight attendant friend says it is very rare for crews to hang out because everyone is so tired being on the backside of the clock. They just want to go home. Yes they will go out for a few hours maybe now and then but it is never a "Catch me if you can" moment. The pilots and FA's rarely hang together on an overnight. The average age of International crews is "old and tired." Its a lonely job. And loners are typically the ones that don't have a problem with that type of life.

If you think you would be happier being a Delta International pilot then maybe you would be. I can tell you that you would not be happy at SWA. A pilot at SWA who is a loner fits in like the square peg in a round hole. They tend not to be very comfortable standing out in what is not the norm around SWA.

It seems odd to hear people who like their company, their job and the type of flying they do to keep arguing about which job is better. If you are happy with what you have why do you need to spend so much time trying to convince others that what you have is better than what they have? What's the point? It seems like a waste of time, why not just let the other guy have the last word, leave it at that and be done with it? It's tiresome when people make the same point over and over and over and over.

Don't you guys ever get tired of this crap?

Walk up fare for today

LGA-ORD 12:15pm DL5943
First class three free checked bags

$403..........and it's an rj

What business traveler walks up and buys a ticket? Hello? Isn't there an app for that?

Pretty standard for Shuttle flights and that's a Shuttle flight.

Arguing with GL is like arguing with your shadow. You'll never win. It's best to place him on "mute" (ignore) and you will be amazed at how much more pleasant life will be.

Last edited:
It's tiresome when people make the same point over and over and over and over.

It's because this is what the General does. The same thing over and over.

He took a break when everyone busted his balls a few months back, but he can't help himself.

To recap every point he's ever made..

Delta is the best run airline in the world.
Southwest sucks and is getting their @ss kicked in ATL.
RA is a genius for buying a refinery.
International flying is head and shoulders better than SW LBB overnights.
Letting Delta get bigger RJs is actually a good thing!

How many times can someone say the same thing....year after year after year.

Totally ridiculous. Wait, you flew long haul for a legacy, for 9 months? Were you the bottom guy? 9 months? Anyway..... We have many PFO's, professional FOs, that stay on INTL until they retire. I just saw an A330 crew and both FOs were older than the Capt. They were talking about Amsterdam and how the weather is warming up now after a brutal Winter, but lately it has been warm enough to take the hotel bikes out for a ride. The crew was laying over in ATL, and are off to Rome tomorrow. They looked really happy, not unhappy like your old airline's crews. Sorry, but you did fly for the wrong legacy.

I'm glad you like your multiple leg days on the same plane for the rest of your career. You probably make good coin, and you like your company. That's fantastic for you. I like long haul, but I can change that to domestic when I want. We are both Happy. That.....is.....fantastic.

Red,

It's repetitive because you don't seem to understand it. Your jumpseater story made no sense, primarily because that guy flying INTL could have easily bid off to 717. If he didn't, he must not have hated INTL that much.... Hopefully you now understand.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Bubba,

You and Red don't understand. Anyone still holding INTL (smallest ETOPS widebody is the 76ER) could have bid 717 FO on this last bid. There were bottom DC9 FOs that were displaced onto it, but an AE (entitlement bid) trumps that. He could have bid off for free (getting rid of any seat hold) because it was a new plane. Also, anytime an existing plane goes to a new base (DTW 737), anyone can bid that too. So, if he somehow hated multiple crossings (which normally is pretty senior anyway and he could have only bid domestic if he wanted to) he could have had at least the 717 FO.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Fine. Maybe now he can bid off to the 717, now that it's the new least desireable position. Months ago when I talked to him, he couldn't. The point it, that a lot of your 767 International FOs are there because of their juniority. Do a lot really, really like International ops and wouldn't leave when they get the opportunity? Sure, probably some. You are a self-professed prime example of this. You like it. Good for you.

My point was that there's people who like international, but there's also a lot who do not, including at your airline. A lot of times it works out that they get what they want. Just like over here: there's people who love AMs and people who love PMs; there's people who love long-hauls, and believe it or not, pilots who love the Texas two-step. However, when there's even a little disparity, it's the junior guys who have to do the flying that isn't their choice. And it turns out that there's not enough pilots who love International, so some junior guys are forced to do it to make up the numbers.

I'm happy that you like your international flying. I really am. Why aren't you happy in return that a lot of guys prefer domestic flying? Both groups get to do what they want, and fly the trips they think are better. You're not going to convince them, and they're not going to convince you. Think about it, General: they're actually doing you a favor. The fact that junior guys get forced to do international flying enhances your seniority. I mean, if everyone wanted it, YOU wouldn't be senior enough to hold it.

Can we stop the "my overnight is better than yours" BS now?

Bubba

Latest resources

Back