• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

General Lee

Southwest Shifts Atlanta Flights in Sharper Delta Rivalry

By Mary Schlangenstein - Apr 25, 2013 7:18 AM MT

Southwest Airlines is shifting its flight strategy at the Atlanta airport, the world's busiest, in an escalating challenge to larger Delta Airlines for local traffic.

No more than 20 planes will be on the ground at any one time instead of 30 now, so the daily schedule of 175 flights can be spread more evenly into times desirable for business fliers, Dallas-based Southwest said today. The new timetable will take effect in November.

Southwest's changes will adapt Atlanta to the point-to-point flying model, instead of using the airport as a base to collect passengers bound for other hubs. That was the approach at AirTran Holdings Inc., which Southwest acquired in 2011 to grab a foothold in Delta's home airport.
"It's going to allow us to compete even more effectively with Delta," Chief Commercial Officer Bob Jordan said in an interview. "We're doing really well today, actually gaining local market share. That's the name of the game. It?s higher-yielding passengers too."

Delta is the world?s second-biggest carrier by passenger traffic, while Southwest is No. 4 in the U.S. Even after adding AirTran and a network that includes service to Mexico and the Caribbean, almost all of Southwest's flights are in the U.S., making it the largest airline on domestic routes by passengers.

AirTran had half its capacity in Atlanta in an operation that was "not successful," Chief Executive Gary Kelly said.

Competitive Schedule

"We will have a more competitive local schedule to compete in Atlanta and for customers flying to Atlanta," Kelly said in an interview. "My prediction is we will win a lot more customers."

For example, the current timetable calls for three Atlanta departures a day to Kansas City at 10 a.m., 3 p.m. and 9 p.m., said Jordan, who also runs the AirTran unit. The new lineup will put those flights at 8 a.m., noon and 6 p.m., meeting business fliers' needs, he said.

Corporate passengers are prized by airlines because they typically fly the most and do so on short notice, paying the highest fares. "Our Atlanta customers, particularly business travelers, choose to fly Delta because we offer what other airlines can't," said Trebor Banstetter, a Delta spokesman. He cited 1,000 daily nonstops from Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport to more than 200 destinations.

Delta dominates Atlanta with 66 percent of passengers there in the 12 months ended in January, according to the U.S. Bureau of Transportation Statistics. Southwest and AirTran combined had about 16 percent.
Southwest's move will eliminate 300 jobs for ground workers, who will be offered transfers, Kelly said. The change puts Atlanta staffing in line with other cities in the carrier's system, Kelly said.

"We'll find them a job," he said of displaced workers."In fact, we have been holding off filling positions throughout the company to make sure we have spots for everybody."

To contact the reporter on this story: Mary Schlangenstein in Dallas at

Hmmmmm. Me thinks someone is getting defensive. I guess saying you are "escalating the challenge" is the same as defensively crouching in the corner.

But hey, I still LUV all my SWA friends on here, and this is all in good fun, RIGHT??? Yes, yes it is.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Changing it's stance?

No, not really. It's just going to become a Southwest city instead of an Airtran city. Surfing for a possible negative in ATL General? Keep looking. As Gary said, they will staff Atlanta like any other Southwest city. You expected something different? Yawn.

Here's some interesting info from the otherside of the terminal...

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- Delta Air Lines Inc. (US:dal) said Tuesday its first-quarter profit fell 94% to $7 million or 1 cent a share.

A 94% drop over last year.

ONE CENT per share. That's pretty weak. I hope things pick up for you Gen. Good luck buddy, I'm pulling for you!

Full Steam Ahead.

A biz flyer that can catch a 6p home to MCI? Gate at 5, at airport by 4 to get through security, leaving downtown by 3:30 at the latest, so you've finished your high-powered meeting by 3p. Banker hours...nice...

Changing it's stance?

No, not really. It's just going to become a Southwest city instead of an Airtran city. Surfing for a possible negative in ATL General? Keep looking. As Gary said, they will staff Atlanta like any other Southwest city. You expected something different? Yawn.

Here's some interesting info from the otherside of the terminal...

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- Delta Air Lines Inc. (US:dal) said Tuesday its first-quarter profit fell 94% to $7 million or 1 cent a share.

A 94% drop over last year.

ONE CENT per share. That's pretty weak. I hope things pick up for you Gen. Good luck buddy, I'm pulling for you!

Full Steam Ahead.

Wait, you sure it was an $7 million profit? They put $20 million into our profit sharing, the FIRST time they have done that in a decade. The profit sharing is based off of the net profit, so $7 million doesn't really make sense. It was higher, but after the charges etc, including profit sharing, the left over was $7 million.
Here is the beginning if the conference call, with RA talking:

"Good morning, and thank you, all, for joining us. We are pleased this morning to report a March quarter profit of $85 million. This is Delta's first March quarter profit since 2000 and tangible proof that we are successfully changing the global airline business model at Delta.

Our earnings increased by $124 million over last year, and we had 1.4 points of margin expansion. We earned $0.10 per share, beating consensus of $0.06 per share. Our operational performance and customer service are outstanding. We know how important a first-rate operation is to our customers, and Delta runs the best all-around customer service operation in the global industry by a wide margin. We have been doing so for 2 years, and we will continue to do so because it is an important strategic advantage."

So Red, this is the first Q1 profit in years, and then Q2 and Q3 usually give over $1 billion in profit, which is more than twice what your airline makes. So yes, full steam ahead, with a Q1 profit it looks like the year will be a lot better, and still kicken your buttz.

And I LUV your defensive crouch in ATL. From 250 to 175 flights a day too. Thanks for the retreat Red! Well done.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Dude, I have to admit............THAT'S HILARIOUS.

Thanks for that.

Let me know when you have 40+ years of profit. Every year.

RF

PS - We'll be fine in the ATL. I promise.

It's hillarious? We continually make twice the profit you do over the last few years, and forced you to downsize in ATL, and you laugh? Gary Kelly isn't laughing, he's trying to mold you guys back into a LCC, and that will stop your laughing quick. How many of your AT brethren are laughing because if your merger?

And of course you didn't comment on the conference call quote I threw in there, refuting your comments. How do you put $20 million into PROFIT SHARING when you only make $7 million?

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
GL I actually think you have a psychological disorder.

Why are 90% of the pissing matches on this forum started or continued by you?

Maybe the question should simply be; what is the right size for SWA to be in ATL? AT grew it's presence in ATL when DL was weak after 9/11. I'm talking about the real growth. After DL's bankruptcy it became increasingly harder for AT to maintain the # of flts it had out of ATL, plus higher fuel and all of that. So AT shifted flights to MKE, BWI and MCO. SWA is going to run fewer flights, with less headcount and prob reduce fares in the process. I suppose this is news because there are folks who might have thought that SWA was going to grow ATL and lower fares. Which they could if they didn't mind losing money.

Latest resources

Back