• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest changing it's "stance" in ATL. HMMMMMM

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
General Lee is looking forward to the left seat of the Valu-Junk SWA offloaded..ahhhhh the mighty Delta...

General Lee is looking forward to the left seat of the Valu-Junk SWA offloaded..ahhhhh the mighty Delta...

That's not exactly true. I am waiting for the 737, and that includes new 737-900ERs coming later this year. I could have held 717 Capt on the last bid, but no thanks, I prefer fewer legs per day.

So Golden, have you been kicked out of Bahrain yet? Lots of Expats getting bumped out. Your airline also isn't doing well, and is a distant number 4 in the Gulf. Oh well. Good luck with that.

Bye Bye---General Lee

That's not exactly true. I am waiting for the 737, and that includes new 737-900ERs coming later this year. I could have held 717 Capt on the last bid, but no thanks, I prefer fewer legs per day.

So Golden, have you been kicked out of Bahrain yet? Lots of Expats getting bumped out. Your airline also isn't doing well, and is a distant number 4 in the Gulf. Oh well. Good luck with that.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Dude

Has anyone ever told you to seek help ?You are mentally not right .

GL, he bids that bc you dalpa guys are SOOOO impressed with your widebodies, that you neglect the domestic fleet so much that schedules and pay suck- its your own self fulfilled prophecy -

You do have variety, but when you can hold something that the union has negotiated much higher pay on, it makes it hard to make those other decisions. Our first responsibilities after god, is family, right?

Besides, how's a new 717 pilot supposed to know you won't sell his plane, and his job off to Skywest?History being the indicator and all.

Ok, what? Wait one second. This jumpseater was miserable? Why doesn't he bid off to another fleet? It's called VARIETY. We had a bid in April that had new categories in DTW (73N or 737-7/8/9), not to mention a new plane with the 717, Capt and FO seats. He could have EASILY bid off the 7ER or any widebody. (New plane or new category in base (DTW 737) means no seat hold)

Also, if he doesn't like the INTL trips, the 7ER also does a lot of domestic, from one day turns to 4 day domestic trips (ATL doesn't do 5 day domestics like MSP/DTW/SEA). So, he doesn't have to be tired. Also, there are plenty of 3 day Europe trips and 4 day South America trips, not all 12 day trips that may affect family life with small kids.

Red, it's obvious that he was BS'ing you, if it happened at all. Nobody has to fly INTL, and even if he supposedly did, he had a free card to bid the 717 or DTW 737 on the last bid if HE HAD TO GET OFF THE FLEET....(ask Bill Lumberg or Scoot if that is true)

Variety Red, in fleets, routes, and trip types. That's GOOD Red.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Check that last line-
There's variety in the industry. The nice thing about SWA, is the unity one fleet creates in swapa. We don't have a bunch if cock-monkeys on 777's lobbying for a bigger piece of the pie- we do have age and seat position politics like everyone- but not this mess, between fleet types-

I hope if we ever get a widebody, that we pay like UPS- blend the rate in and give the whole group the same pay. For unity's sake. An effective union's same.

Ok, what? Wait one second. This jumpseater was miserable? Why doesn't he bid off to another fleet? It's called VARIETY. We had a bid in April that had new categories in DTW (73N or 737-7/8/9), not to mention a new plane with the 717, Capt and FO seats. He could have EASILY bid off the 7ER or any widebody. (New plane or new category in base (DTW 737) means no seat hold)

Bye Bye---General Lee

Perhaps he didn't have the seniority to bid off of his international position. I spoke with a Delta 767 internaional guy who said he was too junior to get anything else. Perhaps Redflyer's JSer was in the same position. Even if he was just "BSing me" as you put it, my best friend is an American guy in the exact same boat. When he was recalled from furlough in 2007, he was assigned 757/767 International out of New York, that being the junior-most position in all of American's network. Eventually, he got 757/767 Internatiional out of Miami, and then a few years after recall, he got 757/767 Domestic out of Los Angeles. After 7 months on the bottom there, he got displaced again when American closed its San Francisco base and those more senior SFO guys went to LAX. Displaced where? Back to 757/767 International out of New York or Miami again. Finally, for the month of May 2013, he had enough guys behind him to be was able to bid 737/S80 Domestic. More than 5-1/2 years after being recalled (other than his short stint in LAX), he was able to hold narrow body domestic.

See where I'm going here? While you may love international (and good for you), it's not the be-all, end-all that you make it out to be. I'm sure some really senior guys love it too, especially if they can get those choice schedules where you work very little. But not enough guys love it. The grunt work of international flying (lots of crossings) is done by junior guys, because no one with the seniority wants to do it. Even for a little extra pay, and even if they "get" to fly a wide-body, General.

I'm happy that you like International, General. Seriously I am. It's great when most folks get the flying that they want. And like you said, "VARIETY is great" --but it doesn't mean squat if you don't have the seniority to exercise it, and you're stuck flying 757/767 International, because not enough other guys want to do it.

Bubba

Last edited:
Perhaps he didn't have the seniority to bid off of his international position. I spoke with a Delta 767 internaional guy who said he was too junior to get anything else. Perhaps Redflyer's JSer was in the same position. Even if he was just "BSing me" as you put it, my best friend is an American guy in the exact same boat. When he was recalled from furlough in 2007, he was assigned 757/767 International out of New York, that being the junior-most position in all of American's network. Eventually, he got 757/767 Internatiional out of Miami, and then a few years after recall, he got 757/767 Domestic out of Los Angeles. After 7 months on the bottom there, he got displaced again when American closed its San Francisco base and those more senior SFO guys went to LAX. Displaced where? Back to 757/767 International out of New York or Miami again. Finally, for the month of May 2013, he had enough guys behind him to be was able to bid 737/S80 Domestic. More than 5-1/2 years after being recalled (other than his short stint in LAX), he was able to hold narrow body domestic.

See where I'm going here? While you may love international (and good for you), it's not the be-all, end-all that you make it out to be. I'm sure some really senior guys love it too, especially if they can get those choice schedules where you work very little. But not enough guys love it. The grunt work of international flying (lots of crossings) is done by junior guys, because no one with the seniority wants to do it. Even for a little extra pay, and even if they "get" to fly a wide-body, General.

I'm happy that you like International, General. Seriously I am. It's great when most folks get the flying that they want. And like you said, "VARIETY is great" --but it doesn't mean squat if you don't have the seniority to exercise it, and you're stuck flying 757/767 International, because not enough other guys want to do it.

Bubba

Lol-$100 says not more than a handful of narrow body CAs in the top 10% at DAL.

Dude

Has anyone ever told you to seek help ?You are mentally not right .

Nope. He likes to stick his head in without acknowledging his own plight. His airline is kicking out expats, dumping planes, and at the same time falling more behind in the Gulf. He shouldn't put down any US carrier. It's more likely you don't understand what is going on in other places around the World because you are focused on INTRA Texas.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Bubba

Bubba,

You and Red don't understand. Anyone still holding INTL (smallest ETOPS widebody is the 76ER) could have bid 717 FO on this last bid. There were bottom DC9 FOs that were displaced onto it, but an AE (entitlement bid) trumps that. He could have bid off for free (getting rid of any seat hold) because it was a new plane. Also, anytime an existing plane goes to a new base (DTW 737), anyone can bid that too. So, if he somehow hated multiple crossings (which normally is pretty senior anyway and he could have only bid domestic if he wanted to) he could have had at least the 717 FO.

Bye Bye---General Lee

[Rant]
Regarding all this domestic vs Intl; who gives a sh!t! Go to work, layover, have some beverages, go home. Its all subjective anyway.
[/Rant]

[Rant]
Regarding all this domestic vs Intl; who gives a sh!t! Go to work, layover, have some beverages, go home. Its all subjective anyway.
[/Rant]

That's true, but don't slam INTL flying if your airline doesn't offer it (long haul). So what if you did it 20 years ago in a C-130 (appreciate your Military service, though) but that's not the same. If your airline does have a choice, and you try both, then you can slam it if you didn't like it. Otherwise, you have zero experience and no credibility in the subject.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back