• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest "Captain" WTFO?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If it was just for his kid's class, then why is it posted on youtube for the whole world to see?

Who gives a rats a$$!?!?!?! I don't know why people are getting so worked up over nothing??

I thought it was a good interview, if aimed at kids or anyone not involved with the airline biz. I'll be honest, all my flying experience is mil in the USAF. I didn't know (or care) about the difference between 3 stripes or 4 until the past year. I bet the majority of people out there feel the same way.

Hi..um..I'm a cap..uh, captain...I enjoy the rain and the sun...buh-deep, buh-deep, buh-deep...that's all folks! /end drunk Daffy Duck voice

So what he recorded this for the Adopt a pilot program. If a captain at SWA introduces me as a captain as well I do not interrupt the PA to correct him.
Either way life is too short to trip up over every literal meaning of every word written or spoken.

All SWA pilots are captain type rated on the 737, and if any of them eat the fish, this Ted Striker is moving over to the left to be talked down by the Airplane control tower!

Actually in French speaking countries, the FO is referred to as "Captain" and the CA is referred to as "Commandant" or "Commander!" Regardless this guy is a tool!

Southwest "Captain" ....

He said he was with SWA 8 years. That would put him as a 'Lance' Captain status. Meaning that he is a First Officer (notice the 3 stripes), but he is Captain qualified. Top 8% of the F/O list. He therefore flies a F/O line, but can pick up Captain trips in open time, giveaway, etc. Hope this explains the apparent discrepancy.

"Lance" Captain? Are you serious?

He is a lance Captain but still an F/O... he is considered by the company as an F/O, bids F/O lines and has to either pick-up Captain trips in between his F/O trips or give all F/O trips away and grab Captain trips out of trip-trade-giveaway or bid for them in open time. He is an F/O period, qualified to fly as a Captain when he can.

So what if he called himself a Captain. We all know he's an F/O. You can bet when he goes to his adopt-a-pilot class he's got that fourth bar on.

Latest resources

Back