• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest announces potential flights from Love Field in gate fight

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They would look like they look right now: Teaming with different airlines all competing for customers. A true market.

You would benefit by reading the link I showed Bubba. Ft Worth's Greater-southwest Airport. You'll understand the WA Amendment a little more. (Or at least you should, corndog kool aid blurs your vision) Feds weren't going to fund two airports for Dallas and Ft Worth both, so DFW was built. You guys weaseled your way into staying at Love and keeping it open.

This is a pretty funny post on your part, because it's obvious to all that you actually know NOTHING about the Wright Amendment whatsoever. Nothing. it must be your hate of Southwest that blurs your vision.

Bubba

You do realize that to get to that court, the other side has a decent argument as well.

This statement of yours is 100%, unequivocally false. Anyone can take anyone else to court for anything whatsoever, if one is willing to fund the lawsuit.

The fact is, that the legal attacks on Southwest before and after the Wright Amendment was passed were part of other airlines' corporate strategy to prevent competition, called "denial of capital." The point is, you make the little guy spend so much in legal fees that he has no more money to operate. Thus, your competition is eliminated. Read up on Legend Airlines and how American Airlines killed them, if you're not familiar with this particular strategy.

Regardless, the other airlines put up BS legal arguments, one after another, in exactly this gambit. Every single one was dismissed by the courts, even to the point where the Texas Supreme court actually enjoined them from even bringing any more legal arguments up. That's how much of a "decent argument" the other parties had--the TX Supreme Ct basically told them to STFU, and not to bother the courts again.

Dude. Seriously. Read up on some actual Texas history.

Bubba

Btw: your characterization of what a "fortress" hub is, is way off. Yes, you guys left IAH. You didn't do squat in ATL (after a lot of popping off) Is "fortress" synonymous with: didn't get something handed to you? Or is it: the indigenous legacy wasn't reeling from a corporate raider/calamity?

No.

"Fortress hub" is a term describing a mega hub created by a legacy hub-and-spoke airline. Examples: DFW, ATL, PHL, etc. Southwest is a point-to-point carrier, and doesn't use that particular business model. Our largest airport in terms of daily departures is just over 200 per day, whereas American has probably 2,000 departures per day out of DFW (counting its affiliates).

Anything else I can help explain to you, Flop?

Bubba

It doesn't fit his hate for everything Southwest, so he won't bother to educate himself on the actual, factual details. He never has.

They would look like they look right now: Teaming with different airlines all competing for customers. A true market.

You would benefit by reading the link I showed Bubba. Ft Worth's Greater-southwest Airport. You'll understand the WA Amendment a little more. (Or at least you should, corndog kool aid blurs your vision) Feds weren't going to fund two airports for Dallas and Ft Worth both, so DFW was built. You guys weaseled your way into staying at Love and keeping it open.

Intercontinental sure is teaming with competition isn't it? What's the number 83% united?
Hobby and love are no different. You just want us at your airport so you can have the advantage.
Why would we give you that?

And I read your wiki- I just don't care. Neither ft worth or love offered a place where AA could fly wide bodies and hub and spoke your legacy code share passengers- so you got governments to build Dfw and IAH - good on you
Doesn't mean we can't fly where we want to do business. We don't need 12,000 runways at our bases. Just because you do doesn't mean we should be forced out to the boonies

Last edited:
You do realize that to get to that court, the other side has a decent argument as well.
I realize that the Texas Supreme Court ruled unanimously in Southwest's favor, but that wasn't good enough and it was eventually pushed farther up until it hit the Supreme Court of the United States which upheld the Texas court essentially invalidating the other sides argument completely.

Intercontinental sure is teaming with competition isn't it? What's the number 83% united?
Hobby and love are no different. You just want us at your airport so you can have the advantage.
Why would we give you that?

And I read your wiki- I just don't care. Neither ft worth or love offered a place where AA could fly wide bodies and hub and spoke your legacy code share passengers- so you got governments to build Dfw and IAH - good on you
Doesn't mean we can't fly where we want to do business. We don't need 12,000 runways at our bases. Just because you do doesn't mean we should be forced out to the boonies

No my friend, we didn't build what we needed, we built what was needed (public necessity). That's why there were 7 open gates ready for you to use. We are not squandering tax payer money for our own personal business needs, we built a large venue for all. That SWA used to use it [IAH] but could not compete and left, will probably come out in the next few years.

Common use gates seems to be the fairest way to proceed in this case. You agreed to as much at Hobby. Absolutely no reason SWA should control 95%+ of Love flying, right?

I realize that the Texas Supreme Court ruled unanimously in Southwest's favor, but that wasn't good enough and it was eventually pushed farther up until it hit the Supreme Court of the United States which upheld the Texas court essentially invalidating the other sides argument completely.

Oh that's how it works, thanks your honor. Invalidated the other sides argument? Completely? Interesting... But somehow you still took a big hit settling the WA, how was that?

Can't argue with crazy.

If what was needed was only flights out of Dfw - then why have we been so successful out of Love?

Maybe both fill the needs and wants of the market?

Does the same apply in your neighborhood? No local stores bc there was a huge mall built 30 miles away?

Latest resources

Back