• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest and shortcuts...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is a hard thing to wrap your head around but the bottom line is that greed makes SWA go.

Hope this wasn't disrespectful.

Cheers.

Greed is a slippery slope to operate an aircraft on......it usually takes care of its self over time.

You mean like flying slow and not asking for short cuts so as to increase block time? Is that kind of greed on a slippery slope?

Dear PBR

PBR you are slicing the post to quote out of context.

Most airlines pay/hour flown.
SWA pay is pay/mile on the planned leg.

This is not the convention. SWA puts the company and the pilots on the same team. It's business so the intent is to make money. We are working for a company that is trying to make money. We are doing a job. The reason we work is to make money. Why do you work? Slippery slope?

This isn't any different that any other job. Our opportunity to make more money is greater if we operate more efficiently. Taken to an extreme this could be a bad thing (flying 340 knots below 10,000') Asking for a shortcut? Slippery slope? Come on!

I once attended a dog and pony show at Fort Worth Center with my reserve unit. We talked to the controllers and watched over their shoulder for a while at different scopes to exchange info/ask questions, get the bigger picture. They each asked who we flew for. We would tell them USNR and SWA. Each time, their face would light up when we said SWA, and they would tell us they love SWA, because we seem to always be able to do what we are asked without biatching about it. They said we are the easiest to work with. Not my words. Just telling you what numerous controllers told me.

So I doubt they think we are needy for asking for short cuts. They seem to think the other guys are needy/unhelpful. How's that for SWA culture?

Each time, their face would light up when we said SWA, and they would tell us they love SWA, because we seem to always be able to do what we are asked without biatching about it.

This is 100% true. I've heard it from numerous controllers in different centers. Why?

The most perishable commodity is a slot in the ATC system. The controller's whole job is to fit aircraft into these slots. SWA pilots in general have the reputation of a willingness to do whatever it takes to fill that slot the controller has built.

That's why I laugh to myself when I hear guys biatching about the legendary SWA pizza parties in the towers. The simple fact of the matter is SWA guys do what it takes and the controllers know they can depend on SWA pilots to help make the system work.

As to shortcuts...with the advent of FMS and LNAV every airline is asking for direct when necessary.

Simplify.

Change Southwest callsign to "AnyShortcuts 1234". That lets you check on and get faster flights all in one swoop.

And you can taxi faster with
two engines running!

That must really save some gas.

Welcome back Kwick! Where you been?

When your average taxi out is under 7 minutes it's just easier to start 'em both up and get out of Dodge!

Gup

Latest resources

Back