• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Airlines Reports Loss

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
All I've got to say is: TOLD YOU, TOLD YOU, TOLD YOU.

SW wasn't able to make money in this environment without their hedges. Their own CEO has said this many times over the past year so this should come as no surprise to anyone but the most cultic SW employees.

You didn't tell us anything.

SWA made an operating profit of $69 million.

Because the hedges are worth less now (about half)than they were about 3-4 months ago a charge was incurred.

This has nothing to do with SW not being able to make money in this environment without their hedges. How you came up with that is beyond me.

it has been pointed out before but I'll try again.

There is a difference between "one time items" and "GAAP" accounting.

SWA posted a profit on non-GAAP revenue this quarter. no 'one time items' included in the profit (or the loss actually)

SWA posted a loss on GAAP accounting this quarter. They didn't post a loss on 'one-time items' like multi-billion dollar write downs in 'good will' or 'merger costs' or 'bankruptcy costs' or whatever else ends up in the 'one time item' catagory.

The difference is fine but important. the GAAP losses and gains are much more akin to the 'decrease in goodwill' than the other 'one-time' costs. i.e. not real. they are an accounting trick. we didn't really make 800 million in the second quarter, only 200 million (or whatever it was) and we didn't really lose 260 million but rather made 70 million.

now, 70 million ain't good. and personally, it might not be a bad thing to post a real, quarterly loss just to get that monkey off our back. I want our company managed for the long term, not for quarterly wall street numbers.

these are tough times and we're all feeling it. but the news stories that are trumpeting 'SWA first loss in 17 years' are not correct in any actual sense of profit or loss. congress really jacked with accounting rules due to dotcoms that were supposedly playing games with options and whatnot. (I think) and now it is confusing as hell for anyone but a professional accountant and I don't think they particualarly dig these rules either.

People still need to travel around the world, and it takes too long on boats. The mega rich who used to fly on corporate jets will have to be reduced to first class travel on airliners. So will plenty of middle managers trying to rescue their businesses around the globe. So, there will be capacity cuts (we will cut more RJs), and you will have to cut 737s(?---you have no RJs--at least you aren't getting those 3 extra 737s this year).

And, LBB probably is awesome for you guys. The oil industry, which is huge out there in West Texas, is probably having trouble with this huge oil price fall, and profits aren't there like the used to be a few months ago. They are hating this economic downturn probably more than anyone else. At least they can hop one of your 737-300s and fly to LAS, to really gamble.

Bye Bye--General Lee

So General,

In the past when Delta has posted a quarterly loss due to write offs or "special charges", you were always quick to point out Delta's operating profit for the quarter. Wonder why you're silent on that issue this time??

Lowercur,
I remember an earnings conference about two years ago when oil fell to 50 a barrel, and all of the analysts(like you) were hounding on Gary about fuel costs and losing money on the hedges. His and Laura Wright's response was great, they laughed at them literally. I remember listening going these analysts dont know their ass from a hole in the ground, and thank the lord above these guys(SWA) know what in the hell they are doing. I didnt listen to todays yet, but I would bet it is reminiscient of a few years ago.

Just wait tell your 4th quarter numbers come in you wont need any gap help on those.

But airlines are worried that they are merely trading one big problem for another, as global financial markets sag and indicators point to recession in the U.S.
"The main thing now is the recession and the impact on travel demand," said Southwest CEO Gary Kelly. "We haven't seen any impact yet. My biggest concern now is January."

You didn't tell us anything.

SWA made an operating profit of $69 million.

Because the hedges are worth less now (about half)than they were about 3-4 months ago a charge was incurred.

This has nothing to do with SW not being able to make money in this environment without their hedges. How you came up with that is beyond me.

Uh Huh. Yeah, riiiiiiight. The SWA guys have been dogging us for years, laughing at our "one time charges" and special accounting tools. Well, now they get to use them. I am sure they did get an "operating profit." I remember Delta doing that too after they also reported a technical loss.

Hey, how is starcheck doing? How many legs do you do a night in the Lear? Is that fun? Do you hit LBB?

Bye Bye--General Lee

So General,

In the past when Delta has posted a quarterly loss due to write offs or "special charges", you were always quick to point out Delta's operating profit for the quarter. Wonder why you're silent on that issue this time??

Not correct. I also did point out that there seem to be a lot of "one time charges", especially during our BK when we were trying to get our wages negotiated. I thought we were the "king of the one time charges." And, I did point out that we did have operating profits some of the time. The difference is Southwest has NEVER done this before, which signals something. I guess times are TOUGH for everyone, even SWA now.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I guess people will stop giving me a hard time about SWA asking guys to take LOAs. If I were a SWA guy who is a reservist, I'd be looking into how many man days were out there at your unit.

Latest resources

Back