Southwest Airlines Reports Loss

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And it could get worse.

Most of the $2.2B in cash is tied up in fuel hedge contracts. Just think what will happen if oil continues to fall, and more write downs occur, + they are going to have to sell those positions at a loss to gain liquidity.

We'll see how loyal all the takers are if the company rolls over in the next year or so.

:pimp:​

what was that you were saying.

"Although today's challenges are unprecedented, we are well-prepared and committed to achieving our long-term financial targets and preserving our financial strength. Our unrestricted cash and short-term investment balance was $2.2 billion as of yesterday, including $1.1 billion in fuel derivative collateral deposits. Although our liquidity is healthy, we have made the prudent decision in today's unstable financial markets to access $400 million in additional cash through our bank revolving credit facility leaving $200 million still available. We remain financially conservative and well-prepared with our strong balance sheet and modest debt levels."

I am by no means justifying our loss. Like GUP said if you give s%!t you have to be able to take it.

I didn't argue the operating profit. But a bottom line loss (or profit) is a loss or a profit.

Sorta. Is a loss a loss if it's an accounting gimmick where no actual money trades places? Mark-to-market accounting required by GAAP deals with unrealized gains and losses. They're call "unrealized" for a reason.

when you guys learn about GAap accounting, then you would understand. SWA made money.

Welcome to what the rest of us have had to deal with: Accounting rules. This is the first time you have ever had to have "excuses." Yes, you probably made a profit, but every other quarter up till now you haven't had to have any explanations. Welcome to the new reality. Welcome to Lubbock. It is freaking FANTASTIC.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Welcome to what the rest of us have had to deal with: Accounting rules. This is the first time you have ever had to have "excuses." Yes, you probably made a profit, but every other quarter up till now you haven't had to have any explanations. Welcome to the new reality. Welcome to Lubbock. It is freaking FANTASTIC.

Bye Bye--General Lee

As far as the accounting rules you are correct I got no response on that for you. However let me know how your international expansion works out for you ar the world slides towards a global recesion. Lubbuck is awesome dude wish you were here!!!!

Prussian, I haven't been following the airlines for a while; I've concentrated on other financial sectors that have been profitable trades for me. I'd like to say investing, but to try to invest in this environment is suicidal.
Applying to the airlines what I expect to unfold, I would say that there will be several airlines that will not survive. Those that are heavily in debt and are in expansion mode are extremely vulnerable.
I'm not going to name particular airlines that I see likely to close doors, other than to say that United is a possibility. The only thing that I see saving United is that they have been aggressively cutting capacity and have no new aircraft orders. Those that cut - cut deeply - will probably survive.
United's cuts should put me out of work next spring; I'll likely be out on the streets for a minimum of another 5 years. That's assuming United survives. I've got other plans, so it doesn't matter to me.

The one saving grace for the airlines is oil prices. I am watching inventory numbers right now, and it has driven oil down near the 60s. I can see oil moving below $50 in the near term and even lower longer term. That will help the airlines, but it doesn't get passengers on aircraft.
Passenger travel is likely to fall through the floor which is why I think that those airlines that cut dramatically now will probably survive. I see no bounce in the economy or passenger travel. And this is likely to last for several more years than mainstream forecasters are calling for.

A lot of people called me a pessimist when I first started writing this stuff on this board. I simply looked at the data and applied my forecasts to what should have been obvious for those that dug deep enough into the numbers. Prussian, I noted that you were one of the people who were open minded on my posts. While we've had disagreements in the past on other matters, I appreciate the support.

Bottom line for the airline industry - those that cut early are going to survive. Those that are continuing to expand are going to go out of business. There will be opportunities as airlines fall, but the amount of capacity that defunct airlines leave behind will not offset the decreased passenger traffic.

Andy...Thanks for taking the time to respond...more than a few of us enjoy your posts.

Well I for one cannot wait for JB to announce a loss, I mean profit, I mean psuedo-profiloss ... aw F it.

Bye Bye--General Lee

When has SWA never had to deal with accounting rules?

General, about 6 months back you didn't even know what Market Cap was. That after I proved to you that SWA's Market Cap was more than all the other Legacy Carriers COMBINED!! Market Cap is a very basic concept of investing and a company's value. Yet you didn't know how to calculate it.

However, now you act like you know what you are talking about when it comes to accounting rules and you make the assumption that SWA is just now having to deal with this?

You are a compete and total hypocrite. However, at least you are consistant about it.

As far as the accounting rules you are correct I got no response on that for you. However let me know how your international expansion works out for you ar the world slides towards a global recesion. Lubbuck is awesome dude wish you were here!!!!

People still need to travel around the world, and it takes too long on boats. The mega rich who used to fly on corporate jets will have to be reduced to first class travel on airliners. So will plenty of middle managers trying to rescue their businesses around the globe. So, there will be capacity cuts (we will cut more RJs), and you will have to cut 737s(?---you have no RJs--at least you aren't getting those 3 extra 737s this year).

And, LBB probably is awesome for you guys. The oil industry, which is huge out there in West Texas, is probably having trouble with this huge oil price fall, and profits aren't there like the used to be a few months ago. They are hating this economic downturn probably more than anyone else. At least they can hop one of your 737-300s and fly to LAS, to really gamble.

Bye Bye--General Lee

When has SWA never had to deal with accounting rules?

General, about 6 months back you didn't even know what Market Cap was. That after I proved to you that SWA's Market Cap was more than all the other Legacy Carriers COMBINED!! Market Cap is a very basic concept of investing and a company's value. Yet you didn't know how to calculate it.

However, now you act like you know what you are talking about when it comes to accounting rules and you make the assumption that SWA is just now having to deal with this?

You are a compete and total hypocrite. However, at least you are consistant about it.

Hello??? Read my post McFly. I said this is the FIRST TIME I have ever seen Southwest report a loss, and it actually had accounting "tools" (one time items)come along with it. That is amazing......get it? This is a special occasion since Southwest USUALLY DOES VERY WELL WITHOUT ANY SPECIAL NOTES...Welcome to the real world. It is FRICKEN FANTASTIC.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Hello??? Read my post McFly. I said this is the FIRST TIME I have ever seen Southwest report a loss and have accounting rules come along with it. That is amazing......get it? Welcome to the real world. It is FRICKEN FANTASTIC.

Bye Bye--General Lee

SWA has had accounting rules come along with every financial statement.

It is required by law.

Latest resources

Back